Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Student loan discharge

Rate this question

ShrekTheTank

Question

• Adminstrator

I have a question about this and how it works.  So my EED is from last month, but there is a very good chance another claim will be coming back and will set the EED for 100% P&T back to 2015.  So if this happens is there a way to apply again to get that backpay of all those payments?

Who, Hoss!  Dont base an appeal on what ebenefits says!   The effective dates on ebenefits are especially unreliable and not up to date.  ONE reason:

Ebenefits often lists "the last Cola" as your effective date.  

As always, wait for the envelope, then read your effective date and decide whether to appeal the decision's effective date or not.  

^^^this^^^

Ebenefits, while it wears a VA label, is not connected to the system we use on claims directly in any way. It scrapes the data but how it puts things is a subject of much grief. Part of the reason why it's moving too Va.gov. WE do not use ebenefits ass an official record in any way, including the days it lists being contestable. ALWAYS the letter. 

The effective dates for each of my disabilities is correctly listed in eBenefits. I see now that the letters can be generated on va.gov instead of eBenefits but they are the exact same letters from eBenefits.  

1 hour ago, broncovet said:

Who, Hoss!  Dont base an appeal on what ebenefits says!   The effective dates on ebenefits are especially unreliable and not up to date.  ONE reason:

As always, wait for the envelope, then read your effective date and decide whether to appeal the decision's effective date or not.  

The letters list the effective date of your 100% P&T as well as the effective date of the last change to your current award. The last date of your current award could be either the last COLA or the most recent change to your award if it happened after the last COLA. I had a change in my award in April 2020 so this date is listed on my letter as the last change to my award but the letter also shows the effective date of my 100% P&T as February 24, 2015. If a veteran is not 100% P&T, there is not an option to put the effective dates of disabilities on the letters, so it will only have the date of the last COLA or most recent change to your award.  

1 hour ago, broncovet said:

make it as confusing as possible! 

k guys i might have really screwed myself...

i have eed of 2019, date of my appeal. original claim was 2008(same as discharge year)

i didnt think about this thread until just now when i was reviewing all i have posted in to make sure i tie up all lose strings before moving forward with any future questions. i filed my request to have my student loans forgiven monday and already sent them my paper work!!!

am i screwed? i should have waited to see if i win my corrected EED of 2008 right?