Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Student loan discharge

Rate this question

ShrekTheTank

Question

• Adminstrator

I have a question about this and how it works.  So my EED is from last month, but there is a very good chance another claim will be coming back and will set the EED for 100% P&T back to 2015.  So if this happens is there a way to apply again to get that backpay of all those payments?

• HadIt.com Elder

I agree wholeheartedly with broncovet.

Good Luck on this.

• Adminstrator

I am hoping I did not just hurt myself for getting my student loans discharged and getting payments back.  So I went to the site and started the application and they send an intent to file in the mail.  It states they are putting them on hold for 120 days.  They encourage me to submit them in that 120 day.  

My question is this my one shot at getting them discharged?  Or does nothing happen until I submit the paperwork?  

When did you become 100% ? up until early last year you had to ask for it. Then the president changed the rules for veterans to make it automatic once you were listed 100% . Which is great unless you are in school at the time..., nothing happens until you file, if you file. If you don’t file you don’t burn up your chance if that’s what you are asking

No. They don't. Its based on the time that you file. A civilian has a three year look back period, but veterans do not. 

We also do not have to pay taxes on the amount forgiven. 

This may have gotten "twisted up" and it could have been my fault.  Shrek, the answer to your Original question is YES.  You should get backpay to the Earliest effective date that VA determines is applicable.  

It appears that broken soldier answered the question pertaining to "student loan" forgiveness, which sounds good, but Im not sure Shrek got his questioned answered.  

Shrek I have had my effective date changed multiple times..all upon appeals..and yes, I got paid for the earliest effective date.  On some, I got paid for a later effective date, but then got more when the EED was awarded.  Hope this makes sense.