VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

100% P&T But Code Sheet (and VSO and VA phone rep) Indicated I have a Re Eval Scheduled

Rate this question

USAF K9

Question

I was awarded 100% PT for several issues about a year ago. My code sheet (from my FOIA request and confirmed verbally by my VSO, and then by a VA phone rep) indicates that everything rating is 'static' except for my back issue(40%) and radiculopothy for both legs (20% each). Those two items are listed with a re eval scheduled for about 8 mos from now. I am confused how I am P&T but still having to do a Re eval. To make things more confusing I am 100% static for mental health stuff. Even if the reduced my back I would still be 100% for MH stuff alone. 

Any thoughts?

Veteran's confusion is VA's favorite weapon.  

Have you been granted DEA Chapter 35 benefits for your kids and Champva for your spouse?  THESE are definite signs you ARE P and T.  

VA makes their decisions confusing.  

Does your "letters" in VA's ebenefits allow you to print a letter that says you are permanent and Total?  

Would "eliminating" your back issues, and your radiculopothy ratings change anything?  As an example, if you are PTSD 100 percent and back issues 40 percent and 20 percent for radiculopthy, then those ratings are unlikely to matter.  

My advice is to focus on "what is important".  As far as DIC goes, you are highly unlikely to die from back issues or radiculopathy.  

If your back or radiculopathy have not improved since your c and p exam which was used to rate you, then dont worry about it.  VA calls stuff like that "harmless error".  For example, VA may misspell a word on your decision.  It does not change the outcome.  

"IF" this conflict (P and T) vs (exams scheduled), makes a difference, then you can take some actions.  But, if not, well, sleep well tonite.  

59 minutes ago, broncovet said:

Would "eliminating" your back issues, and your radiculopothy ratings change anything?  As an example, if you are PTSD 100 percent and back issues 40 percent and 20 percent for radiculopthy, then those ratings are unlikely to matter.  

I was thinking the exact same thing! 

10 hours ago, GBArmy said:

USAF K9 I would send an IRIS inquiry to the VA and ask for clarification in writing.

I appreciate it.  I did not know I could do that.  I will wait until I get a little closer to the appointment and do that.  I noticed that the re-eval was scheduled back before I was awarded P&T.  So part of me is holding out hope that the re-eval notice is just still lingering in the system, and that a human being will see it closer to the exam and just squash it.  I know, probably unlikely.  

5 hours ago, broncovet said:

Veteran's confusion is VA's favorite weapon.  

Have you been granted DEA Chapter 35 benefits for your kids and Champva for your spouse?  THESE are definite signs you ARE P and T.  

VA makes their decisions confusing.  

Does your "letters" in VA's ebenefits allow you to print a letter that says you are permanent and Total?  

My advice is to focus on "what is important".  As far as DIC goes, you are highly unlikely to die from back issues or radiculopathy.  

If your back or radiculopathy have not improved since your c and p exam which was used to rate you, then dont worry about it.  VA calls stuff like that "harmless error".  For example, VA may misspell a word on your decision.  It does not change the outcome.  

"IF" this conflict (P and T) vs (exams scheduled), makes a difference, then you can take some actions.  But, if not, well, sleep well tonite.  

Thanks for the reply.  I am definitely P&T.  I have the letter showing P&T, and my family is on CHAMP VA.  

To your second point, you are absolutely right.  They could completely remove all my back and radiculopothy stuff and I would still be 100% for MH stuff and be like 80% for all my other stuff.  It is just that I have been done so dirty by the VA in the past that I worry about getting hosed again.  My defense mechanism is to go so far beyond 100% that I feel comfortable that my rating is safe.  So, I worry about the VA causing a chink in my armor by removing a 40% and two 20%s.  

If I am being honest, I also think my anxiety escalates when I think "what is the point of having P&T if they still send me to exams that could only serve to reduce me and not increase my rating?"

• HadIt.com Elder

USAF K9 We realize that you have anxiety; just can't help it. We get it. But if you're 100% P&T, that's all she wrote! Good to go. The only thing I would say though is if you get a letter to go for a re-exam, you can challenge but be sure that you go, even if you are P&T. That goes for anyone who receive a notice to go to an exam. You're requesting clarification via IRIS anyway. Don't worry.