VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Do all PTSD claims(personal trauma/MST) take so long?

Rate this question

sailorgirl80

Question

I submitted a claim on June 30th for PTSD(personal trauma). My C&P exam was done mid-August (exactly 3 months ago today). I called the VA to get an update and they told me they are waiting on my military personnel files and have to complete an internal SMT checklist.  Is it normal for it to take so long for these types of claims? Is this a good thing?  Also, they seem to have labeled my claim with MST, a term I didn't know until I called the VA for the update. Maybe that's a good sign that it may go in my favor? I'm just really frustrated and ready for the wait to be over. 

Searching for Bobby Fischer is another great chess movie- LOTS of cameos in that one, and its in a similar vein as Queens Gambit, though, the protagonist is younger and a boy. The kid, actor Max Pomeranc, was a top 100 US player in his age group at the time the movie was made, too. 

Edited by brokensoldier244th

5 hours ago, broncovet said:

I understand "Queens Gambit" was based on Bobby Fisher.  Bobby Fisher was a bizarre eccentric who crushed the Russians winning the World Championship in a game dominated by the Soviet Union.  

There have been only 2 American World Champions.  Paul Morphy in 1858, and Robert Fisher in 1972.  Queens Gambit "even mentions" Paul Morphy and his chess games.  Chess enthusiasts "Still" replay Paul Morphy and Bobbie Fishers games.  

its easier to produce a series about a fictional woman than bobby fisher and his preoccupation with antisemitism

6 hours ago, broncovet said:

Dont feel like the lone Ranger.  Im not gonna tell you how long my claim took, because it may be a downer for you, and mine had nothing to do with MST.  Waiting is the hardest part.  Many Vets advocates suggest you get a hobby, because delays are not the exception, they are usually what happens, in my opinion.  Some ideas:

1.  Learn to play chess.  Netflix has an incredible series "Queens Gambit".  You can watch that even if you have no desire to play chess.  This woman, in a "men dominated world" frankly made fools of men.  You can sharpen your skills playing against the computer and dont have to leave your home. 

2.  Go fishing. 

3.  Take up walking, in the park.  Exercise can help.  

@sailorgirl80
Im so sorry that what happened to you happened.

I have no MST claim experience but I just had my claim close that i submitted back in April, C&P's in May & June for a MH related issue.

I also second @broncovetadvice here.  Theres a reason that there are multiple cliche sayings like "a watched pot never boils" and its especially true with VA claims.  I dont always follow my own advice, but checking1,2,3 times a day on ebenefits will drive you crazy.  Set a specific day of the week you will check ebenefits and stick to that schedule.  Also while the money from a claim is nice because it validates us in that we are experiencing what we are experiencing and what happened is recognized by the government and they live up to their obligations, it wont ease the anxiety, depression or unease we feel.  In my own personal experience hobbies, routine and exercise are a must.  heavy exertion for 1+ hours a day plus clean eating, nutritional/vitamin supplements are truly truly a great easer of mental health issues, they dont fix them but they can take quite a bit of the edge off. Combined with therapy, prayer, meditation exercises it can really be the weights you need to tip the scales.  Hobbies and routine are important as well, something to occupy your mind as well.  routine helps me since it lets you know whats happening, whats going to happen, things to look forward to, etc gives you a element of control over your life that you may sometimes feel is out of your grasp.  All that being said everyone is different, thats what works for me all, some or none of that may work for you, but look into finding what those "things" are for you, not just for waiting on claim resolution but for life in general.

Also, its important to keep in mind your fight may take longer than expected, denials do often happen and sometimes they are the VA's fault, sometimes ours, so mentally prepare yourself for that so that you arent hyping yourself up for "any day now when this claim closes ill get that retro, pay this off, etc".  For me i tell myself i will have to appeal, so when i do its not a huge deal, if i win then its a real great day!

MST claims are a beast of their own.  It really comes down to the strength of evidence you were able to provide proving the event.  The type of claim gives you the ability to use things as evidence that wouldn't be allowed in other types of claims.  That can also add time to the claim.  If you're expecting the VA to go find information in your records to support it..well..good luck with that.  I'm sure COVID has added time to these due to the records they have to obtain and offices being closed as well.

For me, I was fortunate enough to have filed a police report and was able to get it and the copies of witness statements.  I also came to the table with a private diagnosis and DBQ filled out by my private Therapist.  The C&P was really the hardest part of the whole thing for me.  I'd prefer to never have to go through that again.  Even with all of that in hand...it took 9 months for my claim to be processed and approved.  With COVID, I'm sure it is taking much longer.  Like others have said, hang in there.  The waiting will make you nuts...but it will eventually end.  Good luck..and there are many of us that can relate if you need an ear.

We often pull OMPF records to look for things like performance counselings or other negative actions that might have occurred around and after the event to add corroboration if there isn't a 'direct' police report or CID, or civil authority record included. Its roundabout, but it counts as potential evidence for consideration, FYI. 

• HadIt.com Elder

6/7/ months is not bad  once they get your records  you should be hearing something soon,

call the 1-800 and ask about the status of your claim.

These MST Claims shouldn't take to much time just hang in there,  if your in treatment and seeing a therapist will help

if all your records are  ''favorable'' I think it will be pretty soon maybe Dec/Jan...