Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

C&P Exam Attend or Not attend

Rate this question

coachescrew

Question

I submitted a claim and was awarded compensation for "tinittus."  The award packet/letter I recv'd from VA said that they thought I was also eligible for "Hearing Loss."

As a result, I submitted my claim with the same reports and test results I had from two different private Audiologist Dr.'s. I then received a call two days ago asking me to schedule a C&P exam to do a hearing test. I explained to them that I had already gone through Extensive testing with two different Dr's (Audiologist and another M.D. at a Hearing and Balance center) and submitted all of that paperwork, along with my Medical records showing the issues I had while in the military.

QUESTION: If I don't attend the C&P exam, will they just use the information I submitted from my private Doctors and my medical records or do I HAVE to have a C&P exam before they will award compensation?  I have heard people say that I shouldn't go and they will just end up using the data I provided. Not sure if this is true or not.

Look forward to your feedback and Happy New Year to all.

5 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

coachescrew You are walking on thin ice if you don't attend any C&P exam. If, big IF, your evidence includes a dbq filled out completely that shows your hearing disability, and is on a valid, not expired VA form, and the testing performed was in accordance with the VA criteria, you might prevail. The hearing eval must be done to a Maryland test format I believe. If anything doesn't size up, you most likely will be denied. The path you should take, IMHO, is to go and take the test by the VA. You have submitted your own doctors evidence. Get the decision, and if it isn't what you feel you should be awarded, appeal the decision. Know in advance that getting any s-c award higher than 0% means you have severe hearing loss. The criteria for award is very difficult. Don't skip the C&P exam; you're asking them to find a reason to deny.

10 hours ago, coachescrew said:

I have heard people say that I shouldn't go and they will just end up using the data I provided. Not sure if this is true or not.

This is bad information. If a veteran misses his/her C & P Exam the VA can and normally deny his/her claim. Keep in mind that you are asking VA to pay you compensation for a disability and they want their doctors to look you over. Even with your own IMO (Independent Medical Opinion) they still want their doctor's opinion. You do not have to trust me but in my experience the VA will deny a veteran every time he/she misses a C & P exam without good Cause. You feel that you have your own qualified medical opinion is not a good cause in the VA eyes. 

• HadIt.com Elder

if I was you I'd sure go to this C&P Exam  the Examiner  Dr  (ENT)will have his Audiologist re-test you under 5 different frequencies  

Using 1000 Db's 2000 Db's 3000./4000Db's/5000 Db;s and they will do the Maryland CNC word discriminations' test (word testing)

And do the Bone air conduction test behind each ear.  Actually they place a ''device' 'behind your ears  one side at a time

Bone conduction devices make the skull behind the ear vibrate and the vibrations send signals through the bones to the inner ear. A bone conduction device does not rely on sound amplification like in the case of conventional hearing aids. Hearing through the bones is a normal way of hearing sounds.

The C&P EXAMINER WHICH  MOST LIKELY BE THE ENT Dr of the VA  Hearing loss clinic   will have your C-FILE  AND IF YOU SHARE YOUR MEDICAL RECORDS WITH THE VA  THIS DR WILL SEE THEM READ THEM AND YOU BETTER HOPE THE TEST YOU HAVE TAKEN WITH THE PRIVATE AUDOLOGIST  IS CLOSE TO WHAT THE VA TEST IS. YOU NEED TO BE DAMN NEAR DEAF  WITH THE VA Criteria to be given a rating.

If your denied then you can go back to your private Dr  and have him to use the VA's  criteria  to do your hearing test  and make sure the Audiologist is state license  & Certified.