VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

A Hill worth climbing?

Rate this question

staticline

Question

Hello and thanks for reading. I have tried to research the FAQ but keep getting the error message " We could not locate the item you are trying to view. Error code: 2F176/1", so hopefully this is not to repetitive. First a little bit of a back story- I have 44 years combined service for pay (Both active duty (combat) Active Reserve, NG and returns to Active duty for deployments. I used a state VA representative to help file my claim and during the process (the VSO) filed all my claims at one time. These included PTSD, Type  II diabetes (presumptive), Tinnitus, Bilateral hearing loss, and sleep apnea, neuropathy in my left foot, right foot etc.  

After an C&P I was given a 100% P&T for PTSD (service connected - Combat). My other issues were initially deferred. After looking at my information on eBenefits (still waiting of subsequent decision letters, I found the following  (note I have completed all the C&P examinations as requested)

10% For tinnitus (service connected) 20% for Type II diabetes, (service connected) 10% for myopathy in my left foot,  10% for my right foot (service connected) 0% for bilateral hearing loss (service connected) and 0% for sleep apnea (NOT service connected)

So while I was surprised at the sleep apnea rating, I think that perhaps this was a result of the the way the claim was filed, in that it was not filed as a secondary to the PTSD. 

So the questions then becomes, since I am not seeking SMC, as I do not presently see a real path to it in my present state, is pursuing the Sleep Apnea really a hill worth climbing, since as I understand it because I am already 100% service connected then the VA will provide my CPAP needs. So anyone out there see something I am missing, AND if I do seek to address the Apnea do I simply file an appeal to the decision letter or do I submit a new claim for the Sleep Apnea, as secondary.

Since you have been granted 100% service connection the VA will take care of most of all your medical conditions service connected or not, they will also supply you with a CPAP machines and the supplies that go along with it. 

• HadIt.com Elder

staticline

I was TDIU with P&T ...For hearing loss /tinnitus.  yeah I am damn near deaf if not totally deaf  like my wife says...hearing aids help about 20%  and I can't understand a word being said  unless some one yells at me.

Anywayz

I filed a claim for PTSD  and was granted 70%   so me already being 100% with the TDIU P&T  This was a Separate claim from my Original hearing loss claim  so the rater did what the regulations say to do when I veteran is rating this way  and that was to apply the SMC S Housebound.

• HadIt.com Elder

Keep in mind  if you only get the 50% rating for sleep apnea  that may not be enough  to get you the SMC S Housebound.

Even though you are a 100% P&T Veteran.

Don't trust Ebennifits for you rating.  You probably are service connected for your sleep apnea at 0% even though it says not service connected.  My ebennie is incorrect on a couple of things.  Yes it's bothersome.  I wouldn't stress it.  I have 100% PTSD from combat incidents.  Yet, it states non-combat related.  I have seen vets loose sleep over this very same scenario.  Too much pride.  I don't sweat it.  It changes nothing.

Thanks all for the input. I also appreciate the information regarding Ebennifits - never thought of that- so useful information, thanks .El Train

Like I tried, to express was just perplexed as the Sleep Apnea rating, as well as the "NON-SERVICE" connection for peripheral neuropathy, left upper extremity and peripheral neuropathy, right upper extremity considering the diabetic peripheral neuropathy, left and right lower. (Still waiting for my copy of the decision letter.) 

So then if I am understanding the correct process would be to APPEAL the APNEA since it should would be considered secondary to the PTSD (to retain my file date?).  

While an SMC would be a plus, I really, was not even considering that --since that seems to be for those guys who are really jacked. Was more concerned about making sure my records properly reflected conditions and make sure my family is covered. I will research the appeal process.  As a side note, just didn't want to trigger some kind of "rate reduction" reaction from the powers on high 🙂