Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

FINDING LOST RECORDS?

Rate this question

Buck52

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

What can a Veteran do  when he can't get a part of his service records where he served?

example

On my DD -214  it only has my service dates from Vietnam   which I DEROS From and got out.

My DD -214 Don't show my military service from Germany, or my basic training service and AIT SERVICE PRIOR to my Germany service.. its not on my DD -214

I been fighting with the Dept of  board  RECORDS of military corrections  from Virginia  about all this and wanted them to get my service locations and dates correct on my 214,  they come back and say unless you can provide evidence that you served in Germany   we can't provide your service records for the time and dates you requested  we need evidence as proof  that you served in Germany  the location and dates you provided is not of record...B.S

I served in Germany after AIT from Jan1970 to Dec 1970.

I have medical notes from my unit from Germany  from sick call and it has my company name and location...and this is in my C-file

I been fighting with the Board of military records correction now for almost 10/11 years

Should my military service from Germany be reflected on my DD 214?

not that I have a Claim going  but just to make things right on my DD- 214  A Rather personal thing to me.

I was single while I was in the military.

They are actually saying until I can send them evidence I served in Germany  we can't provide you with any records. 

so for the medical notes is the only evidence I have from Germany  when I went to sick call about 2 times while I was over there...I had a great time seeing the sights of Europe and loved the country and the sights and culture of Germany  and the women were not bad looking  but I settled for a Texan woman a cowgirl.  

but my Germany service a should be reflected on my DD -214.  ITS NOT ON THERE.

Edited by Buck52

You may have more than 1 dd214. I see a lot of them for AIT separate from the actual duty portion, though that could be because of split option people, too. Your service isn't indicated elsewhere in your 201 file that you can get off of VA.Gov/Ebenefits? You should have orders, etc in there that show that stuff. Whether or not it was put on there by whatever clerk typed it up at the time is anyone's guess. You predate me by a few decades. All my records were electronic. 

• HadIt.com Elder

Well according to the board of military record corrections  they can't find them in my 201...I sent them all I had and that was not enough.

but I have not sent them these medical notes from my c-file.....its like they don't believe a thing I tell them as I remember the things from Germany  and it sure was not a Vacation I could not afford the air fare to go over there back then.

I some how lost my travel records from Aberdeen Proving Grounds Maryland  where I had AIT....THEN WAS A 2 WEEK FURLOUGH and went home to Texas  and then off to Germany to start my military career. 

I wonder if this is anything the white house hot line can help me with?

It's got to be a personal thing  with me and the MILITARY BOARD OF RECORD CORRECTIONS ....NOW.  over 10 years I been dealing with these guys.

You can request them your self from the NPRC (national archives), or through VA.gov. It may not be any more than what the Board did, though. At the end of the day, if they don't exist they don't exist, for whatever reason. 

• HadIt.com Elder

I may have more than 1 DD-214? ?

Do you mean copies? or 2 different DD -214?

@BROKENSOLIDER244TH

''You predate me by a few decades. All my records were electronic. 

Yeah I am a OLD Vietnam Dog  they say...not many of us left.

I see soldiers now with more than one DD214 after discharge- im assuming its because of ADT, though. I didn't know if that was a thing back in the day. They get one for the training part, and then another one for their full active duty term. 

• HadIt.com Elder

Brokensoldier Just noticed you recently received a MS degree. Congrats to you!