Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Add Mother-in-law as dependent?

Rate this question

Buck52

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Anyone know if I can add my mother -in-law as one of my dependents?

she is coming to live with us July 21st 2021  she ia 84 with no other family, she has had strokes and now she in totally blind, other than that I guess she is in fair health  (mentally IDK? But my spouse don't want her to go to the nurseing home  they jusst flat don't take good care of old people her ein Texas AND Normally they end up passing away within a year...

I was wondering ifa Veteran can add his monther -ne -law as a dependent?

she will live with us free and have house privedges and not have to buy or pay for anything we will support her fully she is on medicare and SS and gets a small retirement check about 200.00 month.Thats all w eknow she gets  she wa sliving in west tx IN APT COMPLEX they went up on here Rent..and now she can't see  so my spouse ask her to come live with us.  My other -in -law can or she did take car eof her self  but now she in blind...so that might pose a problem  due to my spouse is totally disabled.  I do what I can  but at times I have anxinety attacts and need to call my VA Therapist  plus I am darn near totally deaf  and I am getting on up ther in age. and health going down hill.

I know the dependent pay is not much but every little bit helps.

Anyone Know???

Edited by Buck52

I am not an Attorney or VSO, any advice I provide is not to be construed as legal advice, therefore not to be held out for liable BUCK!!!

• Answers 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

I think if you are supporting her then you should be able to claim her as a dependent.  If she is living with you and you provide for her she is a dependent.

• HadIt.com Elder

Buck The way I read it, I believe that the relationship must be your (Veteran's) parent, not the spouse's . You could fill out the info, including VA Form 21P509 and see if it flies. Who knows; it's just another example of the VA being  confusing. Why the VA doesn't have a "dictionary" we could go to for VA terms is mind  boggling. I'd just apply and see what happens; you have nothing to lose.

• HadIt.com Elder
5 hours ago, john999 said:

I think if you are supporting her then you should be able to claim her as a dependent.  If she is living with you and you provide for her she is a dependent.

Well That was my thinking  but she makes to much income  she is the ONE who going to benefit  she can keep all her income and I guess stick it n the Bank.? WE WON'T ASK HER FOR A DIME , my wife has said we will get her everything she needs except her medical...but the way the VA is  if she has a certain income limit  then no cigar for my dependent, RIGHT NOW WE HAVE THE A&A Claim in to the pension intake center in Janesville..so were waiting the outcome? be a few months i IMAGINE?

GB I THINK I read some place that if she is my  mother-in -law and needs asstance with living and don't have any income coming in, the yes she can be my dependent if I give her a roof over her head good safe place to sleep and food  then yeah...but she don't quailfty by the VA criteria..

So I AM NOT EVEN GOING TO TRY...I KINDA DREAD IT BUT HEY SHE MY WIFE MOMMY...

I am not an Attorney or VSO, any advice I provide is not to be construed as legal advice, therefore not to be held out for liable BUCK!!!

This explains "dependent parent":

https://benefits.va.gov/BENEFITS/factsheets/misc/DependentParent.pdf

I have no idea how much she makes, but if she stays with you its reasonable to ask her to pitch in and help with food and expenses.   She should be saving rent expense from wherever she lived in the past.  

If her income is so low that she can not pay, then you should be able to claim her as a dependent.  

Edited by broncovet

• HadIt.com Elder

Hey, she could just keep her money and you could tell the VA that she has bills etc.  and she is broke.  You could make a list of her so-called expenses against her income.  This is what people who get VA pensions do.  They may get SSI or SSA but if they have to  spend all their money just to live then I think they would become eligible for pensions etc.  You could charge her in theory rent, food, etc.   Would they check her bank account?

• HadIt.com Elder

Well she has a fairly good income just for one person 2,400.monthly, she has lived in Appt complx the last 25/30 years and Did ok she has no Bills She is just so blind she can't see to do anytihng anymore she can't drive  so she can't get out anymore  the apt she has  raised he rent 25% and she can't afford it anymore by the time she pays her rent not much left   Apt renting is sky high in Texas and this apt complex goes by her income  but when they went up her income stayed the same...but my wife just don't want her mom living alone now that she blind and no nursing home just yet, she probably could put up a leagal battle with the Apt complext, but will work out her living with us?  just have to wait and see   we don't mind paying for the food and untiltiltys she dont eat that much anyway  and we have the extra room   its just I hope she don't tell us how to live our life  or she tells we should not do this or that...ect,,ect,,, like most monther-in-laws do.

Me and my spouse have mellowed out in our older age. I am NOT going to ask the VA if she can be my dependent..I changed my mind.

We did file the A&A CLAIM for my spouse...SO WE CAN SEE HOW THAT GOES..I AM NOT BANKING ON A WIN   but maybe they will approve her for something? We''ll see?