Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Im having a good day....

Rate this question

brokensoldier244th

Question

I just proved that a 23 yr old veteran likely had/has non-malignant parathyroid nodules and hypothyroidism due to exposure to HF radio as hull tech/damage control team for a 270 day cruise under 3.309 and 3.311. Two hours well spent. 

Hows your day going?

The Earth is degenerating these days. Bribery and corruption abound.Children no longer mind their parents, every man wants to write a book,and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching. --17 different possible sources, all lacking verifiable attribution.

B.S. Doane College, Mgt Info Systems/Systems Analysis 2008

M.S.Ed. Purdue University, Instructional Development and Technology, Feb. 2021

M.S. Purdue University Information Technology/InfoSec, Dec 2022

100% P/T

MDD

Spine

Radiculopathy

Sleep Apnea

Some other stuff

-------------------------------------------
B.S. Info Systems Mgt/Systems Analysis-Doane College 2008
M.S. Instructional Technology and Design- Purdue University 2021

(I AM NOT A RATER- I work the claims BEFORE they are rated, annotating medical evidence in your records, VA and Legal documents,  and DA/DD forms- basically a paralegal/vso/etc except that I also evaluate your records based on Caluza and try to justify and schedule the exams that you go to based on whether or not your records have enough in them to warrant those)

Im gonna need more info on this one- I love resources. Each shop....? I only get personnel and medical, so, where would I go to see some of this other stuff? 

The Earth is degenerating these days. Bribery and corruption abound.Children no longer mind their parents, every man wants to write a book,and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching. --17 different possible sources, all lacking verifiable attribution.

100% P/T

MDD

Spine

Radiculopathy

Sleep Apnea

Some other stuff

(I AM NOT A RATER- I work the claims BEFORE they are rated, annotating medical evidence in your records, VA and Legal documents,  and DA/DD forms- basically a paralegal/vso/etc except that I also evaluate your records based on Caluza and try to justify and schedule the exams that you go to based on whether or not your records have enough in them to warrant those)

Each base have industrial hygienist doing surveys and case files! Everywhere you are stationed someone is responsible for occupational safety and health! This part of the hospital is under internal medicine 

Hmm. Ill have to look at that and see if I can get that. I knew there were MSDS people, since I worked in supply, but getting those records if I needed them is the question. 

100% P/T

MDD

Spine

Radiculopathy

Sleep Apnea

Some other stuff

For radiation people who work around ionizing radiation wore radiation dosimeter! Also the industrial hygienist had to do a survey on the facility where the tube was used! They have numbers!  Survey must be able to be duplicate!

Just to add - I found one award to a Operation Tomadachi veteran at the BVA and one on remand - a Fukushima veteran.

We never know when this subject regarding veterans who were exposed to ionizing radiation at these  terrible nuclear incidents, will turn up here.

In part:

"In August 2020, a private physician who reviewed the Veteran’s records opined that the Veteran's diagnosis of renal cancer is at least as likely as not secondary to ionizing radiation. He noted that the Veteran was exposed to it in March 2011 from a nuclear power plant meltdown in Operation Tomodachi and was diagnosed with kidney cancer in August 2015. An X-ray and CT scan were completed and a tumor the size of a racquetball was located in the left kidney. He stated that RCC is the most common type of kidney cancer in adults and it can be caused by several environmental and genetic factors. These include smoking, sustained misuse of over-the-counter NSAIDS, and occupational exposure to certain chemicals, and radiation. Strong evidence has been recorded of a possible connection between kidney cancer and exposure to ionizing radiation. This evidence is based upon studies conducted at Los Alamos National Laboratory, studies of nuclear workers on other sites, and others exposed to ionizing radiation. These findings are consistent with the National Research Council's determination that radiation can cause cancer of the kidneys and other urinary organs. There are select studies that show a strong nexus of RCC to ionizing radiation. After referring to specific studies, the physician that that it is cumulatively understood from these studies that the organ that is most sensitive to chemical effects from ionizing exposure is the kidney. The Veteran had no signs of ionizing radiation, immediately, from his exposure in 2011. There were no other apparent risk factors that explain the onset at such a young age."

"The low dose estimates from the DoD and the assessment that these estimates are well below levels associated with adverse medical conditions is probative evidence against the claim. The private medical opinion is probative and favorable to the claim. In light of the favorable opinion and the fact that a rather large tumor was discovered within close proximity to the presumptive periods for chronic diseases and radiogenic diseases, the Board finds that the evidence is at least in equipoise concerning the etiology of the Veteran’s kidney cancer. Under the circumstances, the Veteran is afforded the benefit-of-the doubt. Thus, the claim for service connection is granted."

https://www.va.gov/vetapp20/files12/20080528.txt

"In support of his claim, he has submitted medical evidence which confirms treatment for both thyroid cancer and colon cancer. In February 1998, he testified before the undersigned that his radiation exposure occurred while stationed in Japan. Specifically, he spent a year and a half in Fukushima which was a city located approximately 50 miles south to southeast of Nagasaki, and he made recreational trips to Nagasaki during off- duty hours. He served as a radar operator. He was issued a dosimetry badge at Itazuka Air Force Base which he wore for his entire tour of duty in Japan, but he was never informed of the dosimetry findings."

Remanded

https://www.va.gov/vetapp99/files2/9917075.txt

I have been interested in "The China Syndrome" stuff since the Three Mile Island nuclear accident .The Movie had come out shortly before the  accident in Pennsylvania.My husband had been married to someone else at that time and I didnt know him. He said he was forced to stay on call at JCP&L where he was a nuclear power plant equipment operator- for many weeks but they never called him to three Mile Island, Thank God

I also found an award for a female veteran who had been involved with  severe X ray exposure while working with a military dentist.

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.