Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Doug

Rate this question

Dougs

Question

Greetings I’m looking for a neurologist that can give me a second opinion letter for migraines in Orange County.  How do can I find one that has experience in va claims?  Any help would be appreciated.

thank you 

• HadIt.com Elder

Hi Dougs Welcome to Hadit. There are no easy answers for resources; you are going to have to do your own research. Use facebook and other resources as well. Have they provided med evals for veterans in the past? Call and ask if they can fill out a dbq (VA Form 21-0960C-8, but make sure it is the latest form-see expiration date on the bottom of the form.) Migraines, or any headaches, are evaluated under diagnostic code 8100. Check the symptoms against what you experience; it is frequency of the episodes, meds, duration and "prostrating." It isn't difficult to be evaluated, but you may face additional expense to have it done. But assuming you meet the criteria and you do get a favorable diagnosis, you still need an event while in service, and then a doctor, probably your current neurologist, to opine on why your event is directly connected to your current condition. That is a nexus and that definately should cost you some $ to get it right. Research what goes into a nexus letter. The doc has to provide a rationale, based on tech journals and studies, etc and state his opinion that your "event" is as "likely as not" the cause  of your current condition. NOT PROBABLY. As an additional note, do a self assessment of how they affect you from a mental health point of view, especially depression and/or anxiety. Often they can be a secondary disability to migraines. Extreme situations could possibly lead to TDIU because of your symptoms effecting your employment. 10% and 30% are common if you get it service connected.

• HadIt.com Elder

Dougs Sorry but I left out an important item for you. If you haven't started doing it, start a Migraine log.

Date, time, duration, if you had to take any meds (even over the counter) and you will submit that with a statement in support of the claim-new form is 21-10210 where you talk about how your headaches disrupt your life and work. Need a couple months of entries; you may find Migraine Buddy app works for you but your own record format is fine. If you haven't started keeping a log, start now.  Also, call 800-827-1000 and tell the VA you want to file an intent to file to protect your claim date. Written, if you want, is VA form 21-0996 Intent to file.

What state is Orange County in?

If we know the state we can help find a Neuro- but they will need to see copies of ALL VA and private medical records you have, and they also might need to read your SMRs ( Service Medical Records.)Do you have a complete copy of your SMRs?

Do you have an inservice nexus for the Migraines?

Do you have service connection for any disability that might have caused the migraines?

Has VA denied a migraine claim from you?

If so can you scan it and attach the denial ( and Evidence List) here)

Cover your C file #, name and address, prior to scanning it.

10 hours ago, Dougs said:

How do can I find one that has experience in va claim?

Don't worry about one that has VA experience.  In fact, might be more advantageous that the doctor doesn't.  Find one that is good, one whose reputation is stellar.  You can submit a claim for the costs through Tricare and the VA (if it is SC) to be reimbursed.  I live in Germany and there are no VA experienced physicians in the area.  I recently had a IMO write an incredible letter on one of my conditions that I feel solidified my CUE claim.  A non-VA experienced physician isn't going to dumb-it-down for the VA, which by dumbing-it-down, I feel can have an adverse effect on the outcome of a claim.  

• HadIt.com Elder

You might hunt up a SSDI lawyer who will know some doctors who can help you and who know how to write a report.  That is what I did.  I live in Florida.  I used an ex-VA employee  via my lawyer who wrote a dynamite report for me for chump change.  This has all been 20 years ago but the principal remains the same.

4 hours ago, Scottish_Knight said:

You can submit a claim for the costs through Tricare and the VA (if it is SC) to be reimbursed.

I wasn't aware of that. I had an IMO/IME as part of my appeal for EED and higher rating. Assuming I win, it would be reimbursed?

Thanks!