VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Can I pastor a church???

Rate this question

The Ebony Lion

Question

I'm at 90% (paid at 100%), total & permanant, and unemployable(thru VA, with no reeval scheduled) I also get SS Disability, but now I have an opportunity to pastor a small church. Would I lose everything if I take the position? Or could I take it if I kept the income under the poverty level?

• Answers 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Hi Ebony Welcome to Hadit. The short answer is "MAYBE." Small church; so very limited in hours per week? If you kept it at the poverty level, it shouldn't be a problem. I assume you will have mostly your own hours and other accomodations that make it easier to do the work? Maybe a lay person would do some elements of the work that you have a difficult time adjusting to? Office hours only by a convenient time for you, etc.  Have you continued with doctor conferences/treatments/meds? If yes, but outside the VA, be sure that you are sending in evidence. Could you take the work on on a very limited basis to see if you can do it? I think that is a critical thing for you to do; the heart may be willing but the mind may not let you do it. It's possible, but it could be risky. Others can chime in on this.

With TDIU you can work in a protected environment. Protected environment more or less means that they create a position that gets special accommodations in consideration of your condition that does not exist for anyone else, and probably would not exist otherwise. Without the special accommodations, you would be fired.

There are several law sites on this topic for you to check out. Here are a few to start you off:

https://cck-law.com/blog/news-precedential-decision-protected-work-environment/

https://www.veteranslaw.com/tdiu-claims-and-protected-work-environments/

The reality is that the VA will note your employment through SSA records of reported earnings. That may trigger a review, which you should be prepared to defend. If you will be taking this on without compensation, as a volunteer, it may still be a good idea to have an experienced attorney to review your situation either way. 

A lot of TDIU veterans can find self employment as a good way to make additional income. As long as you have that protected environment you should be good to go.

• HadIt.com Elder

You have to deal with SSDI and I don't think they are charitable to those who get benefits for being totally disabled and continue or start to work.  I just don't know about working when you claim to be totally and permanently disabled.  I am pretty sure if you make more than poverty wages you may have trouble.

Not only do you have to deal with the SSA, they do have a program where a person can do some type of work but what a lot of TDIU veterans refer to as they can work as long as they are below the poverty threshold, but they don't consider the type of work they are considering. Example: You claimed  you have a mental health disorder and rated with a high-level rating, and you want to work in a church or as a pastor, but you filed a claim stating that you have problems dealing with people and the public. This is a red flag because now you claim that you can work in this type of environment. Example: You claimed you have a physical disability(s) that limits you from daily chores, but you now want to work in Walmart as a greeter. This also is a red flag that could cause problems when you are getting TDIU benefits.

I am not sure of your situation, but you can volunteer as much as your disability allows but from my understanding most pastors are on payroll. Churches have to report to the IRS for their church status and I am quite sure they have to report who is on staff collecting pay. When you are getting TDIU benefits, I hate to say it, but you are under a heavy microscope if you think you want to go back to work because you filed a claim that you can’t work. Now all of a sudden you claim you can work, and you want to work and keep your TDIU benefits. The duties you filed a claim for stating that you can’t work may be the duties of the position you said you can now do are red flags. I just don’t understand. If you want to go back to work and feel that you can then go for it, just be forewarned that the VA may review your current rating and re-evaluate it and the same with the SSA Office. Also keep in mind that the VA, SSA, and the IRS all communicate about veterans getting TDIU benefits and working. If you were rated 100% scheduler this would still be a problem with the SSA Office if you were getting SSA benefits. As stated above the SSA do have a program where you could collect both SSA benefits and work but as far as I know those programs are trying to get you to completely go back to work and off of SSA benefits.

Wow, I didn’t know it was that complicated to become a pastor. Thanks for the info, guys. I’ve also been thinking about becoming a small local church because there is currently no pastor.
I am a member of the local Apostolic Pentecostal church ( https://firstchurchlove.com) that’s much bigger. We have a lot of members, and there are people to do the job. So, I wanted to take up my own service. Now I’m not so sure because of all the IRS questions and stuff (I also need to keep it below the poverty level). However, I will ask the members of the church responsible for finances and the local authorities what they think of that and whether there is any way for me to become a pastor.

Edited by jennifer1981

Jennifer...

Unfortunately, it boils down to money.  If you served the church as a volunteer, without compensation, it would be alright.  However, when you start accepting money, that changes things.  

I serve my church at no pay, as do many others.  No, I dont do any pastoring, I just help when/where/how Im needed...all as a volunteer.  Its the ultimate "protected work environment, when you serve as a volunteer.  

If this is about your faith, then you can serve, without compensation, and, if you are truly called, God will provide for you and your family.  

If, on the other hand, this is about generating income, well, you could well be risking your benefits.  

The choice is yours.  There is a pastor of a very large church about 50 miles from me, and, I think he owns a profitable horse ranch.  He serves the church without compensation, I understand.  

Pastor Rick Warren is another example.  He is senior pastor of a very very large church and, Im pretty sure he accepts no salary.  Frankly, he does not need it.  He wrote the book, "A purpose driven Life", which is published in around 137 languages.  I think its sold at least 50 million copies.  The royalties on this book alone (this is not his only book), Im fairly certain, will provide a nice living for his family.  

Being a pastor "is a calling", not really a job, in my opinion.  If this is a calling, you wont be able to stop it, if this is just a job, then you may as well work part time at a fast food restaurant, as you can mostly pick your hours.  You can not pick the hours your congregation will need your help.  

Consider this decision carefully.  You will likely make the right choice, especially if you have the right motives.  

The safe way, is to volunteer, for, say a year or so.  Then, you will be in a better position to know if this is really your calling.  

If God asks you to do something, he will provide a way to make it happen "if" you are willing to follow him.  

Edited by broncovet