VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

I am now 100% P&T, what do I need to know to apply for Social Security Disability?

Rate this question

traveler

Question

I have recently been raised up to 100% P & T for VA disability.

How do I find out about applying for Social Security?

Is there any source where I can learn about it, from being in my situation?

I don't know ANYTHING about it.  Please help!

2 hours ago, Vync said:

@Boats 1I am fortunate enough to have not needed to apply for SSDI, but I have a question. It was mentioned that using a lawyer would result in paying them 25%. Is the percent based on the retro you might get or is that a percentage of your check going forward for a certain range or indefinitely?

I am asking because I am curious.

SSA lawyers' fees are based on retro payment and not future payment. I think the max is around $6000.00 and of course most of the time, an individual has to file an appeal to the ALJ (ADMINISTRATIVE LAW JUDGE). Even if SSDI is awarded prior to the ALJ, the SSA has to approve the agreement. You know the old saying, 75-80% of something is better than 100% of nothing. In most cases, most applicants need a SSA lawyer. 

• Founder

Social Security Disability Claims

For me, the SSDI process went like this. I applied, and I went to the physical and psychological exam. When I went into the psychology office, the doctor said, see what's on my desk? I looked at her desk, and it was stacked with files. She said, those are your files, and I've read them. She said she couldn't make any guarantees, but she didn't see me having much of a problem. We talked for a while, and then I left. I was approved, I was never denied, and the whole thing took about 6 months. The moral of the story Documentation Is Key

SSDI has a much higher standard for disability.  For approval they want to know that you are "dead in the water" and completely incapable of work.  You are going to have to prove this medically and with your lifestyle.  They will be checking both.  I don't know your story, but please do not go for SSDI unless you really are incapable of any type of work.  Also, it would look obviously suspicious to SSA if they find you are living an active and fun lifestyle.  They will be looking.  OK, if you feel you meet the high standard for SSDI, then read this.  Get the ball started by applying, and trust me you are going to get denied.  They will bring up any excuse, even if you are disabled, to push you off.  Even if you match their criteria, they will deny you.  You will likely get denied twice.  This is when you have an option to go before an SSA judge to plead your case.  When you get there, MONTHS before you meet the judge, get an SSDI lawyer with a good record.  Most of them require pay only if you win and the SSA will pay them directly.  Please do not try to fool the SSDI lawyer, they will also be checking to see if you are truly disabled.  I wish you luck.  If you are truly disabled and greatly hindered, then the SSA owes you some assistance.  Just keep in mind, there have been total, non-Veteran, scammers that have received SSDI for crap like "high anxiety" and they were never in any traumatic situation.

• Founder

@InfantryAndIntelis right SSDI is a much higher standard. You can either work or you cannot. Can you be a dishwasher? Then you are not disabled. Don't lie or embellish chances are they have done their homework and will see through you.

Sometimes we find it difficult to be 100% honest about how we are doing or the problems we are having, this is pretty normal, but at an exam such as this you must be honest about your limitations even if it is embarrassing.

They do deny must people the first time so if you do get denied know it's part of the process and don't give up.

It’s not as cut and dry as can you work, Social Security standards is how you do it. It’s all based on occupational standards. Example if I need to take frequent breaks due to multiple disabilities, if the job says I only get two 15 minute breaks but because of my conditions I must take frequent breaks or get up and move around. In this scenario I’m not allowed something that others are not, it would prevent me from accomplishing the goal and work expectations on a given day, Social Security declared that that makes me disabled. So it’s what’s needed for you to work just like everyone else. So when you have your exams you need to explain to the examiner your actual limitations