Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Has anyone ever had bad luck using DAV?

Rate this question

Remisdad

Question

I decided to use DAV to help with my appeal. When I went in to see the lady and I was very disappointed. She basically argued with me about my appeal, she couldn't figure out the dates on my claim, and she couldn't answer my questions without sending the question to someone on the other end of her computer. I took it for about 30-45 minutes asked for my paperwork back, I told her have a nice day and left. I was mad all day! Lol. I guess I'll go back to my VSO. I really don't know how this lady got her job because she knew nothing. Anyway I hope everyone using DAV has better luck than I did. 

• Lead Moderator

I had to leave the DAV, because the rep told me I was not injured enough.  And that my claim had no weight to it.  Also that you can't claim something that is not a NORMAL thing the VA will recognize.  

I went and submited my own claim and they called me and dropped me.  

I called the VFW and they helped me the whole time and never questioned one of my choices but gave me help to win it.  

In the past, I was very ignorant to VA claims. I had talked with a DAV rep and was told that they could assist. I was told that I did not have to become a member, but might be feasible if I do become a member. I paid for a lifetime membership and after that, nothing but disappointments. I reach out to the VFW. I am highly satisfied with VFW services.

If you walk into a new VSO, they will not have VBMS access to your file until a 2122 is filed and then it needs to work its way through the system. Unrealistic expectations for VSOs to know specifics when veterans basically shop around for the answer they want to hear can jam up the system with duplicates. 

• HadIt.com Elder

I think its 50/50  you either get a good DAV VSO OR A BAD ONE.

So roll the dice

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

It really does boil down to the person, but in the end, having an accredited VSO is of more benefit (in my unprofessional opinion) than going it alone. It never hurts to get a second opinion. Additionally, the VA web sites and Peggy only provide so much information. After the last few of my claims were decided, the VA refused to talk with me until I had a physical copy of in hand. I didn't like it, but it made sense. I went to my VSO, they went into VBMS and printed it right out. That level of access has proven to be extremely helpful again and again.

My first visit to a DAV office was right after leaving the service. I was told I needed to subscribe before they would help, so I went with the state VSO who typed a one sentence application and assured me the VA would be thorough. Of course, two BVA appeals and five years later I finally one four claims.

After finding Hadit.com, I decided to shop around. The Birmingham VAMC ended up having a very good DAV rep who said the one I initially visited was completely wrong about subscribing. She helped and did not mind answering my questions as long as I made an appointment. She also would help proofread my draft submissions and advised on recommended changes. Unfortunately, she retired and they replaced her with someone who knew less about VA claims than I did. So, I drove to their Montgomery VAMC office and I asked about filing new claims. The guy there said he would help me only after I came back with a favorable nexus letter. I talked with some of the hadit members who were shocked that he didn't even tell me about putting in an intent to file in order to preserve my effective date.

At the time, the DAV had a separate team at the VAMC who would review claims during a 48 hour window after decisions were made. If they encountered any errors, they were to proactively kick them back to the VA for review/correction. I did talk to one of these guys who was very coarse at first until they took a few minutes to review my notes. They apologized for "not catching" the error and I ended up winning that one via NOD (pre-AMA). The VA has since done away with this 48 hour window and once claims are done they are sent out immediately. The VA Secretary at the time felt it was more important to recoup those two business days plus any potential rework time than having some VSO keep rightly pushing the work back on them. I don't know if this window was ever reinstated, but it was another one of those classic VA blunders like removing the publicly facing DBQs.

I shopped around some more and talked with an Amvets rep from another state who was extremely helpful. I checked out the closest rep in my state but they always seemed to be closed, so I went back to the state VSO. It hasn't been perfect with them, but I did get some wins. Like before, they wanted to just handle the routine stuff like dependency forms, CHAMPVA, Chapter 35 and such, but when it came to claims they wanted to type up a couple of sentences and see what came back. Since then, I ended up filing new claims and secondaries on my own almost ever since. When I had a heart attack in early 2019, I couldn't think nearly as well as before (still an issue) and they ended up not being up on the new AMA changes despite having been in effect. I had to file again on the correct form, but eventually won on appeal/review and the VA did backdate it to the original filing date.