Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Social Security Disability Claim

Rate this question

jimlane1949

Question

I have a scheduled hearing for SSDI in April. I am TDIU and concerned that by doing this especially if denied that social security wiil contact the VA. I am concerned about using losing my TDIU. I am 60 years old and have been TDIU for 5 years. Any comments would be appreciated as I am thinking about cancelling the Hearing.

• Answers 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Jim,

As far as I know applying for SSDI wouldn't have any effect on your VA TDIU comp.--

unless something were to show you have had employment while you were receiving TDIU compensation.

carlie

• HadIt.com Elder

Social Security and the VA are two seperate govermental agencies.

With two totally different sets of rules to establish total disability.

Hence, I can't see one calling up the other to complain that so-and-so got too good of a rating.

Having said that, you need to get that SSDI, and, the SSA knowing that the VA has already rated you TDIU will have a POSITIVE effect upon the decision of the SSA.

• HadIt.com Elder
I have a scheduled hearing for SSDI in April. I am TDIU and concerned that by doing this especially if denied that social security wiil contact the VA. I am concerned about using losing my TDIU. I am 60 years old and have been TDIU for 5 years. Any comments would be appreciated as I am thinking about cancelling the Hearing.

Jim, that would be insane to cancel the hearing. You should have applied 5 yrs ago, when you were awarded TDIU. Check with a NOSSCR (www.nosscr.com or dot org) lawyer and see if they can get you that back pay to 5 yrs ago. At your hearing the ALJ can make that decision. Be sure to have your original VA TDIU decision at the hearing for the judge to see.

pr

• HadIt.com Elder

Jim:

I don't think that you should cancel. Even if SS denies it will probbably not affect your TDIU Claim in the least.Actually TDIU should help your SSD Claim.Do you have an attorney?