VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 
Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Need to retain an attorney for back pay-- best references?

Rate this question

Wanderer

Question

My cognitive problems will not allow me to do this solo. Where should I look for competent attorneys who do not charge too high of a contingency fee? I aim to get compensated from the date of my first disability claim denial 24 years ago.

Thanks in advance.

42 minutes ago, El Train said:

No better, no worse.  I'm not sure I want to mess with it and have my overall rating put under a microscope.  I pm'd a well known lawyer and it didn't sound like it was something he wanted to get involved in.  Something about a CUE being a high bar to hurdle.  Maybe in the future when I've had my rating for awhile. 

Cue claims are very tricky and can take forever to win. A few years ago, the RO granted me a Cue decision and after reading the decision letter, I filed a NOD on it requesting an EED (Earlier Effective Date). The claim had to go back to the BVA where they finally granted me an unadjudicated claim award due to VAMC medical treatment records that were not considered in my CUE decision. The Cue award granted me 9 (nine) extra years but the unadjudicated claim award got me an additional 6 (six) years of back pay on top of my Cue award.

• HadIt.com Elder

The lawyers want in-the-bag claims.  They want to get paid.  CUE claims are tricky.  The system is rigged in favor of the VA.  I won a CUE and lost a big one with a lawyer helping me.  I was asking for 30 years of back pay.  I lost on the old technicality rule.  Go to court or BVA on a CUE you better bring your own lube because you will probably need it.  My CUE was obvious to anyone but the VA.

All of these are great law firms and have great repore and reputation with veterans..but also big firms tend to be impersonal and you end up dealing with phone tag with law clerks and interns

I was turned down by the big 3 and after talking with attig he referred me to Sean Kendall. Well let me tell ya- gentleman and scholar...cant recommend him enough...he answers emails...returns calls himself heck he's even answered the phone e a few times when I called expecting the underlings- shocking I knwo.. if you haven't yet I recommend giving him a call and see if you are good match...

Good luck bud- I know how it feels dealing w cognitive issues and trying to navigate va law...between hadit, a great vso that helped me and Sean Kendall i have almost won all my claims I've fought for...