VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

PACT Act 2022 signing

Rate this question

GBArmy

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

The President finally signed the PACT Act 2022 which adds 2 dozen presumptive diseases for disability, increases the window for recent veterans to get VA Heath Care, broaden Agent Orange coverages including presumptive hypertension, and ongoing toxin research. Bout time!!!

• HadIt.com Elder

Based on your label, Marine Corp 69/7-0, I'm going out on a limb and assume you were in Nam and have a vested interest. Go with me on this one; be optimistic. My feeling is if the VA is going to drop the staged effective dates, they aren't going to shoot themselves in the foot and omit Vietnam veterans. That would really not go over well seeing we've been rating 50 years. Betcha a coffee.

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

I'm still baffled why the lawmakers still have not corrected effective dates to be able go back to date of diagnosis regardless of when claims are/were filed/awarded, or when presumptive laws went into effect. Seems like that would deliver justice and end shenanigans like this.

• HadIt.com Elder

Vync, its a sad commentary, but it's our system. It was the final product and it took a lot of give and take by many special interest groups with their particular favorite Congressman to get it done. So, one of the really most difficult parts for some fiscally responsible members of Congress was the cost. The "phase-in" implementation of the various disabilities was one way to lessen the financial impact. The first Gulf War was 30 years ago and Vietnam over 50.  The cost of war doesn't get cheaper if you don't take care of the problem as soon as you can. I also think that changing the regulations to make it effective on one date will prevent a lot of legal actions because it seems like the VA would be guilty of denying due process. I mean, how could it be legal to approve a presumptive disease but delay compensation for years.

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

@GBArmyYou are correct and making me feel old, lol

• HadIt.com Elder

VA has dragged their feet on AO presumptive conditions for decades.  If the vet is dead maybe the widow will have the knowledge to ask for DIC.  The spouse has to file a claim and prove that the vet had presumptive condition and that he/she is entitled to DIC.  DIC is a very little bit of money. It is about half of what a 100% vet would get.  So VA rings up the cash register and saves money by denying presumptive conditions for 50 years.  It is just about the money.