Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Camp Lejeune water question

Rate this question

capitan

Question

I meet the criteria for compensation from Camp Lejeune. I was there over 30 days. I fall between the required dates. I have been diagnosed with esophageal cancer. I have spoken with several lawyers, and had others try to get me to sign their preliminary questionnaire. So far I am looking for convincing evidence that my cancer is linked to Camp Lejeune. I understand there is a time limit, and I am also looking for an attorney to go with, since it takes 6 months before I know if I'm eligible to file a suit. And I would like to find an attorney who takes less than 40%, but maybe that's what they all get. Any thoughts?

• HadIt.com Elder

If you have TDIU and you work you better know the rules on that very well.  It could be tricky.  If you are in a sheltered workshop or make far below the poverty wage you can get away with it.  I bet if you screw up even a little the VA will slam you.  I had TDIU for 20 years.  I did not try to work because I could not anyway.  I wanted to start a little business but since I was also on SSDI I thought better of it.  Now I am 100% but too old to care about work.  This is a shame to totally discourage a vet from even trying to work.  In order to live you need the 100% level pay if you cannot work 40 hours.  I wish I could have worked some part time job but like many I know the VA and how ruthless they can be to us.

Most attorneys who represent Vets charge from 20 to 35% of the retro.  However, if you are appealing a bva denial, EAJA will pay most or all of your attorney fees if you win.  (If you lose you owe nothing).  

Generally, an attorney cant represent you until/unless you have had at least one denial letter.  Have you been denied?

If you have been denied, then you can appeal if within the one year period.  If you are over a year, you can file a supplemental claim, or possibly a cue. 

If you have not yet filed, you dont need an attorney, you likely need a vso.  

So what is the path forward? I was there during the time frame, but don't have any cancers or other issues listed, at least undetected at this time. I see all these ads for pseudo law firms, that reading their fine print states they don't accept some clients in some states, or they are a referral service.

More ambulance chasing?

Where is a legitimate legal counsel that can be contacted? 

I have never filed a claim for this, and if I'm eligible, don't want to miss any time lines.

There is a ton of lawyers trying to contact me. I too am trying to find a legitimate one. But I don't want to sign with the wrong one. It's my understanding that you have a year to make the preliminary claim. Then wait 6 months to see if you have a case. It sounds like you might not have a case, and maybe you can thank God for that. But maybe you do, I don't know. How long were you at Camp Lejeune?  I had one of the listed cancers. I had a previous cancer from Agent Orange. I am currently waiting for the VA to answer a long awaited claim for TDIU. If that's granted, I will get the 100% I need. I notice you are 90%. What got you there?  Have you thought about applying for TDIU? Keep checking here, I will post anything I know. Semper Fi

I was there for SOI 11/87 to 2/88. My SC are 70% PTSD, 20% rt foot arth, 20% lt shldr arth, a bilateral and 3 10%. Got 2 pending appeals before VBA, one for OSA\CPAP 2nd to PTSD, Sinisitis, and tenitis, second for incorrect date of rt ft arth. 

Just filed one for

rt ankle arth & pain (this should have been rated back w/ original denial of RT Foot);

Rt foot pain;

lt foot & ankle arth & pain;

Increase for Max sinusitis and asthma as a GWI presumption:

and obesity 2nd to RT & LT foot and ankle arth.