VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

PTSD stressor(s)

Rate this question

Guest Grec09

Question

While on AD, I lived with a civilian friend. He was gruesomely killed by a self-inflicted gunshot.

Several years after leaving the service, the VA diagnosed me with PTSD, MDD, Anxiety & eventually bipolar (my depression had changed to mania after a few years).

I have VA medical records with a PTSD diagnosis & my stressors on file. 

I want to submit my MH claim.

Edited by Grec09

• HadIt.com Elder

If both happened while on AD, if you have the evidence, it should be S-C. Include both.If you have a newspaper article or something that relates to your friend's death, I would provide proof; should be a police report. At least get a Buddy letter of someone who can attest to the suicide and if they can speak also of how it affected you. I'd try if you can to get some documentation such as another Buddy Letter from one of the guys with the bomb hang up. Have the date and as many details of the bomb episode you can remember. (When, where, how, who ??)If you have been diagnosed by the VA for MH, all I would add is to provide your SS medical records and go for it. Because of the several MH diagnosis you have, I would suggest file for "MH conditions, including, but not limited to, anxiety, depression and/or PTSD." Good luck to you

You should be good to go.  When a VA doc diagnose PTSD, well that means you have a "stressor".  (you still need it documented, tho).  

Worrying about getting shot at in combat is a stressor!!!!  

Even if you are never shot at!!!

Ditto with an IED.  

If I recall, "combat Vets" serving in a combat zone have a presumed stressor.  

If walking around and sleeping knowing there are people around trying to kill you (the enemy) is a stressor!!! 

GB is absolutely correct. Once on active duty, you are full time whether on or off duty.  Claim both as your stressors. Will help greatly if you have supporting documents. 

• HadIt.com Elder

Month and year will help very much. If you happened to tell someone back home about this event AND if they can remember any time frame that might help but really, month and year is very good. It should have been documented on a daily report or something else in the squadron, so I should hope there would be a confirming document.

• HadIt.com Elder

Broncovet is right on. Being in a combat situation, just being there is a stressor. Before you go to your MH C&P exam, you have to remember some of the feelings you experience during the events and express how they made you feel and still affect you to this day. It's ok to take a few notes with you if you have a hard time with anxiety etc. Just explain you want to refer to them ; the examiner will in all likelyhood allow it, If not, make a note of that and use it as part of your appeal for the claim or for a higher rating is it applies. Just be honest and don't be the big tough guy; this was a life-changing event and it is severely impacting your life and daily activities, including the ability to work (gainful employment.)

I can't stress it enough. Get and continue treatment. I have seen where some vets were awarded PTSD but did not get treatment at all and VA took it all away. VA stated that the vet did not seek treatment so therefore the condition must be getting better.