Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 
Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Rate this question

63Charlie

Question

Is Chronic Pain Syndrome categorized by VA as a psychiatric disorder?

Did things change under the revisions of DSM-5 so now it is Somatic Symptom Disorder?

I think the VA failed in their Duty To Assist after Judge Skalsounis(BVA) mentioned in in his decision but VA never awarded it...if i am correct?

Seems like the VA never granted the SSD/Chronic Pain Syndrome even after the ALJ stated it was part of my service connected psych disabilities.

• HadIt.com Elder

I have about five various mental health issues that have been awarded over the years since I have been SC for mental health for 52 years.  The VA has changed my DX and added to it over the years.  All are part of the one basic dx including chronic pain and depression.  If you have bipolar, PTSD, schizophrenia and depression you get one rating for mental condition not four.

Not sure if you qualify, but I got awarded 40% for Fibromyalgia presumptive gulf war.  Wide spread pain in all regions of the body.  I did have a diagnosis for it.  Otherwise it would be part of my mental health claim.

• HadIt.com Elder

My chronic pain is part of the agent orange conditions I have.  I do get awards for those but not for specific chronic pain.

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

Like @john999, I filed for chronic pain secondary to a musculoskeletal disability. They granted me 10% under MH as depression. Like many others here, I also have been diagnosed with fibromyalgia, but never filed a claim for it...

However, back in 2018 a vet won for chronic pain (w/o a definitive cause), but the court also factored in the financial impact it caused:

https://cck-law.com/blog/federal-circuit-court-rules-pain-considered-disability-for-veterans/