Jump to content
VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

 Ask Your VA Claims Question  

 Read Current Posts 

  Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

  • homepage-banner-2024-2.png

  • donate-be-a-hero.png

  • 0

How do I change the account/bank to which my disability payment goes each month

Rate this question



Recommended Posts

  • 0
  • Moderator

You can do it on VA.Gov. if you Google "change VA disability direct deposit" you'll get a link to it. If you don't have a login for that there is a standard form, either way it's not instant and with direct deposits going out in a week I'd wait until the 1st. They are batches up a few days before the first and sent to the Fed. I'd also keep the new account open for a month or until you've verified that it's been entered. Chasing it down and getting it RE deposited is a pain in the ass. 

I enter a these sometimes as a VSR, Though it's not our primary thing. I catch a few that were submitted but not done every few weeks. 


*****Edit- here is the instruction link. You can also call the 800 number- I think they can do it. 





Form 1199 link https://www.va.gov/find-forms/about-form-sf-1199a


Edited by brokensoldier244th
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
  • Founder



Change your VA direct deposit information

Change your VA direct deposit information for disability compensation, pension benefits, or education benefits online.

How can I change my VA direct deposit information online?

If you receive disability compensation, pension, or education benefits from VA, you can update your direct deposit information in your VA.gov profile. You’ll need your bank’s routing number and account number to make the updates.

Note: You’ll need to sign in to VA.gov to update your direct deposit information. Once signed in, you’ll have to verify your identity and set up 2-factor authentication only if you haven’t done this already.

Sign in to change your direct deposit information online

Sign in with your existing Login.gov or ID.me account. Or create one of these accounts now.

Note: If you sign in with a DS Logon or My HealtheVet account, you won’t be able to change your direct deposit information.

If you have questions, please call us at 800-827-1000. We’re here Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. ET. Or go to your nearest VA regional office.

How else can I update my VA payment information?

To update your direct deposit information or the address on your paper checks, you can:

Note: If you don’t have access to the internet or a phone, you can update your direct deposit information with the Direct Deposit Sign-Up Form (VA Form SF-1199a).

Get VA Form SF-1199a to download

What if I don’t have a bank account, but I want to use direct deposit?

The Veterans Benefits Banking Program (VBBP) provides a list of Veteran-friendly banks and credit unions that will work with you to set up an account, or help you qualify for an account, so you can use direct deposit. 

To get started, call one of the participating banks or credit unions listed on the VBBP website. Be sure to mention the Veterans Benefits Banking Program.

Go to the VBBP website for more information



Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
  • Moderator

Do the above very very carefully, checking, double checking, and triple checking your account numbers.  

After you triple check, then have your spouse check the numbers, or wait one minute and check them again.  

Getting those numbers wrong will make your life miserable..that is, unless you have no need of money.  

I think getting those numbers wrong has the potential of making you homeless, because it may "take a while" to get it straightened out.  

Edited by broncovet
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
  • Moderator

Whatever you do, do not close your current bank account. Wait until the transaction hit the system and your new bank account start receiving your direct deposit. While in service working in military pay, I had to counsel soldiers on not closing their current bank accounts until their new bank starts receiving their direct deposit. This could also put you in a financial hardship. Even if you have a disagreement or if you are disgruntled, do not close your current account until your new bank gets your money. I have seen lost or missing pay checks take thirty-ninety (30-90) days to be corrected.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
  • HadIt.com Elder

Yes,  Pacman is so right. If you close your current account the bank will send your check back to the VA.  They did it to me once when I changed accounts.  It took me a month or two to get it straight.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Create New...

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use