VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 
Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Important Topics - Please Review This Thread.

http://www1.va.gov/vhapublications/ViewPublication.asp?pub_ID=1391

Department of Veterans Affairs

VHA DIRECTIVE 2006-013 Veterans Health Administration Washington, DC 20420 March 7, 2006

QUALIFICATIONS FOR EXAMINERS PERFORMING COMPENSATION AND PENSION (C&P) MENTAL DISORDER EXAMINATIONS

1. PURPOSE: This Veterans Health Administration (VHA) Directive establishes policy for VHA clinicians and managers regarding the professional qualifications required to perform Compensation and Pension (C&P) examinations for mental disorders.

2. BACKGROUND

a. On February 9, 2005, the Veterans Benefits Administration (VBA) issued C&P Fast Letter 05-01, Qualifications for Examiners Performing Compensation and Pension (C&P) Mental Disorder Examinations. C&P Fast Letter 06-03 revises those instructions and provides additional guidance. This VHA Directive is issued concomitantly to provide congruent directions to VHA personnel.

b. The objective of a C&P mental disorder examination is to obtain competent, critical, objective, and unbiased results. To ensure that examination providers are competent to provide findings and opinions that are valid and necessary for rating purposes, individuals who conduct C&P mental disorder examinations must have specific qualifications. As discussed in subparagraphs 4a and 4b, only certain individuals are permitted to conduct initial mental disorder examinations. In addition to those individuals, certain other individuals are permitted to conduct review or increase mental disorder examinations as discussed in subparagraph 4c.

c. To maintain the integrity of the patient-provider relationship, it is preferable that a veteran

Both bases were contaminated,

TI also had radioactivity, found..

The reports cited are for two bases. Hunters Point Naval Shipyard(HPNSY) and The Treasure Island(TI) naval base. HPNSY is referred to as Hunters Point Annex. HPNSY is the more contaminated of the two. The poll only ask if we were stationed at TI.

HPNSY is where most of the radioactive wastes are. This base was the main decontamination station for ships from the nuclear weapons testing and for many of the ships from Yankee Station during Viet Nam. It was doing many if not all of the birdfarms. It was closed in I believe 1974. TI was closed much later. HPNSY was also the home to Naval Radiological Defense Laboratory(NRDL) They put together all the nuclear weapons used in the Pacific. They also experimented extensively with radiation and the bay area.

There was a lot of asbestos in those old barracks, you could actually see it floating around inside the building.

Possibly asbestos exposure due to the amount of the stuff in the old buildings. I'd think that you would need to somehow document that you were in areas at TI that were contaminated, perhaps as part of a work party or some other events.

I know that all the Barracks on the north end of the isalnd were built on top of a toxic waste site that is now covered in multiple feet of concrete....

I was at TI in 1972 awaiting discharge. The barrack I was assigned to were old WW2. An inside converted basketball floor and showers. Now I have a question, would this not be further evidence of Chemical exposure to further substantiate a claim for A.O. both on land and offshore waters? I have a non-Hodgkins Lymph node. It never caused me pain, it's just a mass on the right side of my neck.

I feel the contamination would have affeted everyone who was stationed there....From the time the NAvy took over the island...

I was in the Navy from 89-95. I went to the basic and advanced shipboard firefighting schools in 89. does this affect me or is it for earlier service?

• Founder

Hi I've updated our Pass It On Cards. They are in a PDF format you can print them out cut them there are 12 to a page. If you have found HadIt.com helpful and would like to pass it on to other veterans this is an easy way to do it.

I hope you find them helpful, feel free to leave a few anywhere veterans gather, veterans centers, veterans hospitals, public libraries, be creative. Please make sure though, that if you want to leave some at any business you ask permission first.

Here you go http://www.hadit.com/hadit_com_pass_it_on_cards.pdf