VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 
Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Important Topics - Please Review This Thread.

• HadIt.com Elder

Treasure Island started as a world fair site.

During WWII, TI. had Navy patrol blimps and a seaplane ramp in use. In 1968, I was actually in one of the surviving blimp hangers, and saw the seaplane ramp. A Naval Air Station, is a "limited" Navy base more or less for aircraft only.

At one time, TI did have an airstrip. It may have been limited to small propeller driven planes.

By 1968, the large ship wood piers had rotted away. Evidently, there are/were other large ship moorings, perhaps a Mole? that may still be there.

http://en.wikipedia....Alameda#History (Closest NAS)

Correction: Naval base Treasure Island, California was not a naval air base. It wasn't big enough to get a plane to land on it. It was a training base and a transit center. There were also a few ships stationed there including Coast Guard vessels.

Allan

Edited by Chuck75

• HadIt.com Elder

On April 1, 1941, Treasure Island along with its twin Yerba Buena, became Naval Station Treasure Island.

The link you posted was for Alemeda Naval Air Station which was located across from Sanfrancisco & south of Oakland. I spent allot of time there chasing down boiler parts and going to the NCO dance club.

The large ship dock on Naval Station Treasure Island, was still functioning when my ship was decommissioned in 1971, so it must have been in the later 70's, 80's or 90's when it was demolished.

I lived in the Barracks for the first two months of 1968 & worked at the base post office during surgical recovery.

After that, Treasure Island was home port for the heavy destroyer I was stationed on until 1971.

I got to experience the hostility the bay area citizens had towards all military to the point of the base being fire bombed by protesters and constant beatings when off base. It wouldn't surprise me if the bay area still treated military personnel that way.

I can tell you now, Naval Station Treasure Island, never had much to do with being an air base. That was one busy base from what I saw and experienced. Training and transit for naval personnel was it's main function for decades, not an air base. What little air base there was in the late 30

• Founder

That is possible the site is run by someone else, I worked at the same company with her years ago and this her endeavor, it is not uncommon for us webmaster's to add links that at some point go down or go away. This is one of the challenges a webmaster have, it's hard to keep up.

Tbird deaflaw.org looks like it has shut down?

It opened fine for me with my slow as molasses dial up. I recently found this site on an internet search and thought it was interesting. Thanks tbird for posting it 4 others too!

• HadIt.com Elder

It works for me right now as we all know sometimes a link won't work for a short time.