VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Well, they dun did et

Rate this topic

TALON II FE

Congratulations, Talon, on your well deserved win!! I am sure your win on SSDI won't be long behind, and you and your family have a good Thanksgiving and Christmas!!

• Founder

Talon thanks for sharing your news. Congratulations! This is wonderful news. Sometimes after you get the letter for the review after 5 years they cancel it the exam it doesn't always happen but it does happen. The 5 year review is pretty standard and I wouldn't sweat it.

Thanks. Tbird.  I am not overly concerned about the review, they did lowball many ratings, so my first concern will be disputing those and getting them corrected.  Many of my issues are not stable, they seem to be degenerating, I don't think the Docs really know what is going on and, as soon as I mention anything related to any of the locales I have been in (48 different countries), they start to stonewall me.  Everything they decided to tie to the Gulf was denied or addressed as if it were not related.  The funny part is, I did not request a GW physical.  I believe they are denying connections for GW to avoid future complications.  I know I received 100%, and that is great, but it needs to be correct, not a situation where they got it to 100% and stopped working on it!  I am still waiting on my BBE, once I have that I can plot out what needs to be done.

If I(we) am(are) complacent, they will use the ratings /statistics /metrics to justify lower ratings on someone else.  Essentially, we need to fight every fight to make this system better, or else, who will?  Most of us have had negative experiences, hardships and suffering associated with this process and we can all agree that it could all be mitigated or erased.  I hope that I can keep that bitterness out of my life as much as possible.  It is not a measuring contest, we need to always be there to support each other.  I feel like that is the next 'trap' in all of this, turning against each other, being misdirected and distracted by 'shiny objects', or simply turning away and moving on.  We need to support each other, not eat our own. 

Thanks again to everyone here, I am not going anywhere, anytime soon, and I will always try and help anyone that I can.  I did not always like nor agree with some of the advice I received but I always felt it was honest and assistive and for that I am grateful and humbled.  Keep fighting the good fight.

Funny thing, I was under the impression that the PTSD at 70% was what they wanted to review going forward, but that is not the case.  They want to review my 30% for headache syndrome / Occipital neuralgia, for which I receive quarterly injections and medicate for the month they are ineffective.  This probably should be a 50%, but there is enough gray area that I don't believe it will be worth fighting.  I have been getting injections of various types every 3 months for several years with only temporary relief.  They also want to review my 50% for sinusitis which is worse than could be imagined by most, the next surgery that I will need, should I decide that it is worth the reduction in quality of life, will require me to essentially lose my nose.  The last surgery, quite literally, almost killed me.  They aren't going to reduce either of those two 'honestly', they are not going to improve.  Even funnier, You could downgrade both or completely remove either from the equation and I am still 100% even without a NOD to fix the mistakes.

As a matter of fact, they have some other very blatant mistakes, to the point that they quote reasons that I do not qualify for the next higher rating for conditions that were determined or confirmed by the limited imagery taken at their C&P exams, lol!  Another example, they denied me service connection to IBS bc they say I didn't get it in Iraq due to a lack of records and only, but instead in Bangladesh (in 2008, I retired in 2014, I guess special operations work, even greywork, is not rateable, right)?  So, on the surface, that looks great, two easily proved continued issues.  But, here is the crux:  They will evaluate in, let's say, five years.  In the interim, I am still 100%, but only total, not permanent.

Ramifications?  MUST continue to pay Tricare, I believe, bc coverage for dependents is not included (need to clarify this, but I believe this is the case, no CHAMPVA?).  I have a 20 year old daughter in college, and my next two are 15 and 16, and there are benefits that would be a huge help for their education that they will be unable to utilize, I believe it is just over $800 a month for each child for 45 months until age 27.  I am not sure what other differences there is yet between 100% total and 100% total and permanent, but it is a much bigger gap than I imagined.  Now, how do I get this changed to a permanent rating without waiting 5 years?

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use