Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Reviewing C-File at Regional Office

Rate this question

Gastone

Question

VA supposedly allows Vets tor review their C-Files and make corrections at their RO prior to requesting a complete copy of the C-File. Anybody have any experience with the C-File RO viewing?

Back around 09/12 (2 NODs Pending 10&12), I visited the Det RO, to set up a viewing appointment and to request a Complete copy of my C-File. Very pleasant woman had me complete 2 separate VA 21-4138 expressing my desire to file FOIA claims for the copy and the appointment for viewing of the C-File. Completed both, got my copies and went on my way. Never heard anything back regarding the Viewing appointment and finally received a 9" package containing my C-File, mid 01/2014.

Today I called the VA 800-827-1000 info number, got a call-back in about 25 min, not bad. After discussing setting up a viewing appointment, I was advised it was strictly done on a walk-in basis, Mon-Fri 8am to 4pm. Can't believe it's that easy but I'll give it a try in the near future. Stay Tuned!

Semper Fi

• HadIt.com Elder

Back in 2001 I called my RO and requested to come see my c-file  and they gave me a date.....on that Date I came  got there on time and they could not locate it......I said well I had appointment to come on this date so the guy went got his supervisor and he said my c-file was not here they had it at another RO ..I said bullshit...I came all this way for nut & honey?

Anyway they gave me a form called report of contact   that my c-file was not here on this date when I was there..and/butt they would call me when it gets to my RO, that was two months later...they called me I said are you sure it there?  he said yes sir I'm looking at it right now.

so went and sure enough I got to view it  with a couple looking over my shoulder...I got what I needed they made copies and put the others back in my c-file and I left., I said  thank you

so you may want to call your RO before you leave and ask them to locate it and make sure its there.

jmo

..................Buck

Yes, they still play musical chairs with the C-file and it can be at C&P docs or elsewhere.

At my viewing appointment the VA clerk was a bit impatient sitting there but made copies of the few papers I wanted. More numerous copies would have come later or with C-fie (which took me years to get).

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

VA supposedly allows Vets tor review their C-Files and make corrections at their RO prior to requesting a complete copy of the C-File. Anybody have any experience with the C-File RO viewing?

Back around 09/12 (2 NODs Pending 10&12), I visited the Det RO, to set up a viewing appointment and to request a Complete copy of my C-File. Very pleasant woman had me complete 2 separate VA 21-4138 expressing my desire to file FOIA claims for the copy and the appointment for viewing of the C-File. Completed both, got my copies and went on my way. Never heard anything back regarding the Viewing appointment and finally received a 9" package containing my C-File, mid 01/2014.

Today I called the VA 800-827-1000 info number, got a call-back in about 25 min, not bad. After discussing setting up a viewing appointment, I was advised it was strictly done on a walk-in basis, Mon-Fri 8am to 4pm. Can't believe it's that easy but I'll give it a try in the near future. Stay Tuned!

Semper Fi

Getting through to the 1-800 number lately is actually something worth celebrating :lol:

I was told something similar, but got to the VARO and they laughed at me. It took months to get my appointment and I had to mail in a request in writing. I would recommend you call back in a few days to see if the appointment is actually in their system. I would not want you to drive all that way for nothing.

I can see it both ways! They are worried about making sure they have immediate access to records. Computers and digital records should correct the problem. Yet there is some comfort knowing it is on paper with all the data theft out there.

• HadIt.com Elder

I saved myself years of appeals by going to view my file at the VARO.   It can be of great help and they will usually copy a certain number of pages for you on the spot at my notorious VARO  (St. Pete).  You do have to make a request in writing, but it can be worth it.   It was for me.   I corrected some things the VA was about to do with my file as in sending it to the BVA instead of giving me a DRO Hearing.

If you live close enough then yeah I would agree with you lads.  What I am having an issue with as our claims get handled by different Regional offices to handle the exorbitant amount of claims how can you get a copy without running into physical distance issues.

A simple fax, e-mail, hell I would even settle for text or a secure link to the file.  It is common practice out in the business world.  Hell I've electronically singed, releases, contracts, real estate, and many other common tasks that require a signature, all done by a PC ( in my case a Mac) but makes no difference.  I have even performed this task via a smart phone.  

These tactics are getting riDONCULOus. Damn excuses are getting old.