Read VA Disability Claims Articles
Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• tbirds-va-claims-struggle (1).png

• 01-2024-stay-online-donate-banner.png

Does Anyone Feel The Way I Do Ptsd?

Rate this question

yoggie2

Question

Please , understand first of all I really dig this message board and its not my intention to P.O anyone. I found out today why my increase for my injury and is being held up and was told they need my 201 file to see if I had any awards such as a Company log or a Purple Heart or a CIB or " just serve in the Gulf War 2" my thought was how dare the VA take this away from me I paid for it and still paying for it. here is part of the thred I wrote........

I filed for a increase been out of work for 2 years worked till I couldn't stand the pain any more now I'm crippled up, if I knew it would take so long I would have taken action lonnggg ago. I called the 1-800# today ask about some file type someone gave me and was informed after a year and a half, I'm waiting on my 201 file for the PTSD, looking for combat medals unit citations I got them but I sent them some pictures of my US ARMY Vacation experiences to Gulf war 1 and Restore Joke in Somalia anyways, YES THATS RIGHT! you too can stand up be shot at on a daily basis and enjoy an evening fire fight just about dinner time! and not be counted(just kidding about that last part). I hear now you have to be Purple Heart or have a CIB to even be considered or Just be a Gulf war 2 Vet. I personal Have friends never fired a shot and got the big prize the "CIB" just for being in a country where there was a war. I personally think this is way unfair specially to the guys who truly earned them, people getting purple hearts for accidents? And I have to prove I was in a hostile environment in Somalia. I can truly tell ya I can't sleep cant go to a 4 of July for over 15 or 16 years now I feel for these guys coming back its a life time deal you never forget or get over. Does that mean I'm untiled to a CIB, absolutely not. I am a soldier or was and we fought for each other, sorry getting carried away just feel as if I'm supposed to be so much more unholy and pay the same price anyways.......

This was a VA rep told me this today is this true I'l receive less care and not even consided unless I have a Purple Heart or a CIB or served in this fresh war? is blaspheming poop or the real deal?

Edited by yoggie2

GENERAL GEORGE S. PATTON, JR.

"Do more than is required of you."

• Answers 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

yoggie,

The same thing happened in the RVN 30+ years ago: "Base Camp Commandos" making uneventful perimeter sweeps around said base camp once a month and ending up with a CIB.

Outrageous.

"Endeavor to persevere" regardless.

-- John D.

Edited by cloudcroft

70% TDIU/P&T

Army - RVN - 1969-70 (10th Cav/4th ID, II Corps RVN)

USCG - Galveston, TX - 1976-78 (USCGC Valiant, WMEC 621)

Man looks that no one wants to touch this one.

RC

Edited by yoggie2

• HadIt.com Elder

Voggie, are you saying that the VA is actually requiring you to provide some sort of documentation of the fact that you were in a "combat situation"? Do they not have your service records?

"I'm waiting on my 201 file for the PTSD, looking for combat medals unit citations I got them but I sent them some pictures of my US ARMY Vacation experiences to Gulf war 1 and Restore Joke in Somalia anyways,"

I don't think that "pictures" are gonna do the job..............

"It is cold and we have no blankets.

The little children are freezing to death.

My people, some of them, have run away to the hills, and have no blankets, no food; no one knows where they are-perhaps freezing to death.

I want to have time to look for my children and see how many of them I can find.

Maybe I shall find them among the dead.

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired; my heart is sick and sad.

From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever."

Chief Joseph

Yes, in the sense I have to have a CIB or Purple Heart or Company journal or just serve in Gulf war #2. My Combat time in Gulf war 1 and constant combat in Somalia means nothing no count period towards any PTSD at least this is what I was told by VA rep. No matter how long my 201 file says I was in either place. Thought it impossible to find journals so thought give'um some pic's anyways.

Regards, RC

Edited by yoggie2

yog,

I to was in somalia, with the marines. I to never got a combat action ribbon for taking fire and returning fire. we were told that somalia was a humanitarian operation. witch we know is bullshit. but we never got a c.a.r. now i did get 70& and i.u for ptsd becuase of somalia. that being said it can be done the va never brought up my ribbons and dont think that they can deny your claim just becuase you dont have a cib. what wins claims is medical evidence. by the way i missed the gulf war i was in bootcamp. so you can be service connected for somalia. sounds like the va is just messing with you. they did the same thing to me denied me 2 times before i won a total of almost 3 years.

Yes, in the sense I have to have a CIB or Purple Heart or Company journal or just serve in Gulf war #2. My Combat time in Gulf war 1 and constant combat in Somalia means nothing no count period towards any PTSD at least this is what I was told by VA rep. No matter how long my 201 file says I was in either place. Thought it impossible to find journals so thought give'um some pic's anyways.

I believe everything is completely out of context. First of all, those of us that have PTSD and are S/C and have received a rating can all confirm that you are not being singled out "Just because you do not have CIB, CAR, PH, or other combat medal or award."

All of us and the VA requires in claim for PTSD based on a combat stressor is the stressor event must be furnished and the VA must be able to verify the stressor event took place via Buddy Statements, Unit diaries, journals, and/or from personnel and medical records. This is true for every veteran that files a claim for PTSD. That is called the "Stressor". The VA can contact the Center for Unit Records Research (CURR) when the stressor furnished is not documented in the vets records or documented by receipt of specific combat awards on DD-214.

As far as the PH, CIB, SS, BS, CIB, and CAR they are CONCEEDED stressor that is verification up front and automatically conceeded that the vet was exposed to a stressor event. If you have one or more of the listed combat awards you are not required to prove that a stressor event occurred nor provide a stressor letter that is verifiable.

There are only two ways to go to get the VA to accept a verifiable stressor event and that is if you don't have a "Conceeded stressor" then you must provide a detailed description of the stressor event or events, if you have one of the medals or awards then those are your proof of stressor event.

There are three things that are needed to be successful in a claim for PTSD and they are:

1) Verifiable Stressor Event

2) Diagnosis of PTSD

3) Nexus of service connection

If you have all three of these the VA cannot and will not deny your claim for PTSD.

You are not being singled out nor treated any differently than any other vet that is claiming service connected PTSD.

And your VSO is full of mumble jumble. He in fact lied to you. Whether you furnished a stressor event or the conceeded stressor medals is immaterial as far as VA treatment and benefits are concerned. A stressor is a stressor be it documented handwritten letter or documented receipt of combat award or medal. That's all they are used for period......to document the stressor.

You don't get any higher rating for the stressor or stressor events or even if you have twenty medals. All they the VA are looking for is just ONE stressor event. Your rating is based on your CURRENT (Today)occupational and relationship impairment and ratings are based on the severity of those alone.

Don't be cornfused! :^D