Ask Your VA Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 
Read VA Disability Claims Articles
Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• tbirds-va-claims-struggle (1).png

• 01-2024-stay-online-donate-banner.png

Just Applied For Ss Disability Benefits.

Rate this question

luv2fly

Question

Hi......i was very recently awarded 100% P/T for PTSD so yesterday (Nov. 21st) i went to my local SS office and applied in person for benefits.You CAN apply online but eventually you'll need to see someone with a heart-beat anyway coz SS wants to see an original or certified copy of your birth certificate so i figured what the heck i'll just go and get it over with.The SS person you deal with makes up a file for you so bring any relevant/pertinent information you wish SS doctors to see in your SS file even before they contact VA and your doctors.They'll make copies of things you wish to submit but it's a faster process if you have your own copies in-hand as i did upon arrival at SS.They ask detailed questions like "what are the side-effects" of each of the meds you take and not just which meds you take so be prepared for that.The gal at SS that took my info and made up my file was kinda crafty sorta like trying to catch me in some sort of lie or deception by asking me if VA had offered me any sort of vocational rehab even tho i'd already told her twice in less than 5 minutes i was VA rated P/T, but i kept patience thru it all and got finished in about an hour with all the questions she threw at me.I also signed 5 release forms for VA and doctors to give SS my personal records.

Afterwards i was told by the same gal that SS takes between 4 and 5 months to render a decision and and that SS does NOT pay me for the first 6 months of disability so no retroactive $$ there.Good luck to all and have a Happy Thanksgiving!! David

• Answers 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Johnny

Yes a private employer can place you under serveilance. Unfortunately it is perfectly legal to video tape you as long as they are not on your property. It hasn't been a problem for me bacause they just keep seeing me going to the doctor. But they will try to catch the fakes that say they cannot work to collect benefits. These tapes show up in court all the time. Guys with "back injuries" out playing golf or working under the table to avoid being tracked by social security.

Jay

Has the VA asked you to report income after being accepted? I was the first time but not after that. Is there a reg that says they can just ask for your tax returns either directly or through tht IRS?

SE

Jay

Has the VA asked you to report income after being accepted? I was the first time but not after that. Is there a reg that says they can just ask for your tax returns either directly or through tht IRS?

SE

My wife is the veteran, so it's not really relevant to me, but I wouldn't worry too much about it to be honest. I don't know of any regulation where the VA will order you to give your tax records and/or prove your financial situation. What I'm saying is more of a cautionary tale to protect yourself in that "just in case" situation. The VA CAN order field examinations to determine income and just about anything else they want to find (there's even a provision for field examinations in M21-1 to determine a veteran's role in a family owned company).

Again, if you make less then the poverty line then it's a non-issue....if you make over that line then it may be in your best interest to put the investments in your spouse's name or another close family member "just in case".

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Tell a friend

Love HadIt.com’s VA Disability Community Vets helping Vets since 1997? Tell a friend!
  • Recent Achievements

• Lebro earned a badge
      First Post
    • stuart55 earned a badge
      Week One Done
    • stuart55 earned a badge
      One Month Later
    • Lebro earned a badge
      Conversation Starter
    • Sparklinger earned a badge
      First Post
  • Our picks

• Caluza Triangle defines what is necessary for service connection
      Caluza Triangle – Caluza vs Brown defined what is necessary for service connection. See COVA– CALUZA V. BROWN–TOTAL RECALL

This has to be MEDICALLY Documented in your records:

Current Diagnosis.   (No diagnosis, no Service Connection.)

In-Service Event or Aggravation.
      Nexus (link- cause and effect- connection) or Doctor’s Statement close to: “The Veteran’s (current diagnosis) is at least as likely due to x Event in military service”
      • 0 replies
    • Do the sct codes help or hurt my disability rating 
    • VA has gotten away with (mis) interpreting their  ambigious, , vague regulations, then enforcing them willy nilly never in Veterans favor.  

They justify all this to congress by calling themselves a "pro claimant Veteran friendly organization" who grants the benefit of the doubt to Veterans.  

This is not true, 

Proof:  

About 80-90 percent of Veterans are initially denied by VA, pushing us into a massive backlog of appeals, or worse, sending impoverished Veterans "to the homeless streets" because  when they cant work, they can not keep their home.  I was one of those Veterans who they denied for a bogus reason:  "Its been too long since military service".  This is bogus because its not one of the criteria for service connection, but simply made up by VA.  And, I was a homeless Vet, albeit a short time,  mostly due to the kindness of strangers and friends. 

Hadit would not be necessary if, indeed, VA gave Veterans the benefit of the doubt, and processed our claims efficiently and paid us promptly.  The VA is broken. 

A huge percentage (nearly 100 percent) of Veterans who do get 100 percent, do so only after lengthy appeals.  I have answered questions for thousands of Veterans, and can only name ONE person who got their benefits correct on the first Regional Office decision.  All of the rest of us pretty much had lengthy frustrating appeals, mostly having to appeal multiple multiple times like I did. 

I wish I know how VA gets away with lying to congress about how "VA is a claimant friendly system, where the Veteran is given the benefit of the doubt".   Then how come so many Veterans are homeless, and how come 22 Veterans take their life each day?  Va likes to blame the Veterans, not their system.   
    • Welcome to hadit!  

There are certain rules about community care reimbursement, and I have no idea if you met them or not.  Try reading this:

https://www.va.gov/resources/getting-emergency-care-at-non-va-facilities/

However, (and I have no idea of knowing whether or not you would likely succeed) Im unsure of why you seem to be so adamant against getting an increase in disability compensation.  

When I buy stuff, say at Kroger, or pay bills, I have never had anyone say, "Wait!  Is this money from disability compensation, or did you earn it working at a regular job?"  Not once.  Thus, if you did get an increase, likely you would have no trouble paying this with the increase compensation.  

However, there are many false rumors out there that suggest if you apply for an increase, the VA will reduce your benefits instead.  

That rumor is false but I do hear people tell Veterans that a lot.  There are strict rules VA has to reduce you and, NOT ONE of those rules have anything to do with applying for an increase.  

Yes, the VA can reduce your benefits, but generally only when your condition has "actually improved" under ordinary conditions of life.  

Unless you contacted the VA within 72 hours of your medical treatment, you may not be eligible for reimbursement, or at least that is how I read the link, I posted above. Here are SOME of the rules the VA must comply with in order to reduce your compensation benefits:

https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/38/3.344

• Good question.   

Maybe I can clear it up.  

The spouse is eligible for DIC if you die of a SC condition OR any condition if you are P and T for 10 years or more.  (my paraphrase).  

More here:

Source:

https://www.va.gov/disability/dependency-indemnity-compensation/

NOTE:   TO PROVE CAUSE OF DEATH WILL LIKELY REQUIRE AN AUTOPSY.  This means if you die of a SC condtion, your spouse would need to do an autopsy to prove cause of death to be from a SC condtiond.    If you were P and T for 10 full years, then the cause of death may not matter so much. 

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use