Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Im New, Have Some ?s...........

Rate this question

daisymae

Question

Can anyone help me find info on how many male 100% VA rated receive SSD?

Vs....how many women.

I am 100% VA/female(since '81) and have been again denied SSd.

I have attorney etc; he's had a judge rule favorably on the proceedural error (by the original judge)

which re-opened the file. Judges in CO sat on my file nearly a year; lawyer took it back to SS who just denied it again.

Lawyer will appeal.

1)-Im wanting to know if there is discrimination going on towards women vets.

2)-What is the norm for getting both VA and SSD?

I feel pretty dehumanized.

Thanks in advance for being here and any help you may be.

• Answers 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

The VA Uses a schedule for rating disabilities that assign percentages based on the amount of wage a disability will cost the veteran on the NAtional Economy.

Social Security Disability uses a listing level impairment list (You can research it under ssa.gov).

It is called the Blue Book and you can look up your condition. If you meet the requirements you should be appproved for SSD.

Social Security also has a strict definition of disability. They must find you cant do any work that exist in the national economy. They use Vocational experts at hearings that inform the Judges of jobs you are able to do.

Has your attorney suggested you go for a Social Security IME? That is where you go to a Occupational Doctor and he examines you and goes over the entire record and makes determinations.

Tell your attorney you need one of these exams and he should be able to help you.

I meet all criteria.

My AmerLeg rep said Im the only female vet he knows of not getting SSd.

My LB said Im the only (rated) female vet he knows of not getting ssd.

Ive been 100% for nearly 30yrs.

I sent off email on the vetwow site, couldnt figure out what else to do.

I am surprised that-with the VA 100% -you are having problems getting SSA.

Also-I know a little about discrimination and helped my husband win the first ADA case here in New York- but the job discrimination was due to his SC disability-not gender.

I dont see this as a way to go here-

there is no benefit for the VA or SSA to discriminate by gender regarding any applicant.

Why did the SSA deny the claim? That is what you need to really focus on-

the exact reason for the denial.

Is the SSA fully aware of your VA disability rating?

Yes, they are fully aware of the VA rating.

The form letter of recent denial said....(he, she, it) could find work.

I am surprised that-with the VA 100% -you are having problems getting SSA.

Also-I know a little about discrimination and helped my husband win the first ADA case here in New York- but the job discrimination was due to his SC disability-not gender.

I dont see this as a way to go here-

there is no benefit for the VA or SSA to discriminate by gender regarding any applicant.

Why did the SSA deny the claim? That is what you need to really focus on-

the exact reason for the denial.

Is the SSA fully aware of your VA disability rating?

Anyone know how to expadiate getting a copy of my mil med board papers?

I have the originals but they are in storage. Cant get to it.

My ALegion rep requested my VA file on Oct 9 and still has not received it from Den/VA.

Im not sure whether my med brd papers would be in VA file, so now Im wondering how else I would get another copy of my med brd.....quickly........

• HadIt.com Elder

Daisy, paperwork takes time and close follow up once request is made. I recently requested a few documents from NARA St.Louis and got responses in three and five weeks for different things. Even a telephone call from them, surprised me nicely. Hope you get your notification soon that they have recieved your request.

Glad you found Hadit, a VSO and LB (in fact what is a LB?) to discuss your case with. I too, am another woman vet that continues to struggle with paperwork. I found your mention of 'women versus men stats' from your VSO curious. My thought, 'How does this unnecessary statement made by your SO really matter to you? ' I've too have faced and felt discriminatory statements like that. I honestly know there are times these 'what a pity' statements kept me 'offsubject' and redirected precious time&effort from the subject. Maybe there's true ignorance on both genders part, just naturally and for good reason, probably keeps the mystery. In the past, theres been times I have felt uncomfortable with a statement or exam. Graying just a bit now, I find its easier to speak up clearly, quickly and with conviction! :mellow: .

You said you were med boarded, sorry to hear that. Thank you for your service. We women were just getting around to be accepted more 'equally' in the service about 30 some years ago. Takes a time balance playing fields, but is gettin' there through your and my efforts, eh? I never planned to work so hard,stay&retire, but I did.

The advice given by jbasser, guaya, berta and chuck is good, in fact I am glad it was repeated for my sake too. Best to ya,cg

Anyone know how to expadiate getting a copy of my mil med board papers?

I have the originals but they are in storage. Cant get to it.

My ALegion rep requested my VA file on Oct 9 and still has not received it from Den/VA.

Im not sure whether my med brd papers would be in VA file, so now Im wondering how else I would get another copy of my med brd.....quickly........

Edited by cowgirl