Read VA Disability Claims Articles
Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• tbirds-va-claims-struggle (1).png

• 01-2024-stay-online-donate-banner.png

I Feel My D-day Approching

Rate this question

yoggie2

Question

I have to say it I have been feeling really solid about my up coming C&P 12/11/07 for my back and legs, as it approaches I feel like I'm being thrown in the ring with the heavy champ with all that's been going on in the VA as of lately. Sick at my stomach, Jitters, extra nervous, can't sleep try to think and draw a blank is it this way for everyone? any last minute pointers? LOL........Thanks RC

Edited by yoggie2

GENERAL GEORGE S. PATTON, JR.

"Do more than is required of you."

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

Don't let it get to you...that's what they want.

My last minute pointers:

1. Gather complete medical records from the service, the VA, and all private records (if you haven't already done this). Review them so you can quote to the examiner when the problem started, and when and how it has progressed.

2. Look up your injuries in 38 CFR 4. Figure out exactly where you are ratings wise. Know the ranges of motion that fit into the picture you have in your mind of your disabilities. Be honest with yourself. Make a copy of this and take it with you.

3. Look up the pertinent exams in the March 2002 C&P Service Clinician's Guide. Know what to expect for your rating examiner. Make a copy of this and take it with you.

4. Take a "significant other" to the exam with you. Then try everything you can to get that person allowed into the exam room during the exam.

5. Be honest with your examiner. Don't exagerate your injuries. Most of them can tell when you are "faking," and you don't want a "malingering" note in your exam. Also, be early. That way you can calm the nerves and review the process before entering the exam room.

6. Take all of your meds with you in a plastic bag. When the dr. asks what meds you are on, take them out one by one and read the name, dosage and frequency aloud.

7. You, or your significant other, take notes during the exam. Just do it in your own form of shorthand in a small notebook. Do it quickly, as to not upset the rater, because you are not the only veteran that he has to see today.

8. Ask short questions like, what were my ranges of motion? and in your opinion, is this service connected (if that pertains). Then, follow up on these. Ask him if he's putting that in the report.

9. Immediately after the exam, compare your notes to the exam and rating guidelines that you brought with you. Look for discrepencies and other things of importance and note them (i.e. examiner did not use a goniometer, and my ranges of motion were, and the dr. stated this). This will be helpful down the road.

10. A few weeks after the exam, go to the VA where it was performed and get the record of the exam from the FOIA office. Compare it to the notes that you made following the exam. This will give you a good feel for what is to come, and it will help you in preparing a CUE/NOD if that becomes necessary.

Sorry to go so simplistic, but that's honestly how I approached my last one, and it seems to have been the best one I have ever gotten in the last 14 years. GOOD LUCK!!

90%, TDIU P&T

• HadIt.com Elder

The C&P exam is just round one in the fight. You come back in round two with more medical evidence to tilt the benefit of doubt in your favor. If there is an ounce of subjectivity in the rating then the fight is on.

• HadIt.com Elder
I have to say it I have been feeling really solid about my up coming C&P 12/11/07 for my back and legs, as it approaches I feel like I'm being thrown in the ring with the heavy champ with all that's been going on in the VA as of lately. Sick at my stomach, Jitters, extra nervous, can't sleep try to think and draw a blank is it this way for everyone? any last minute pointers? LOL........Thanks RC

yoggie2,

Please take someone with you into the examining room. Please do this for me and yourself.

Always,

Betty

• Founder

that's pretty much how i felt each time, it was never as bad as i imagined, if that makes you feel in any better. be on time, be honest, be prepared, and remember if it goes good for you great, if not you can appeal.

i think it's because the c and p doctor has so much power, for me my first c and p meant was i going to be able to eat and put a roof over my head, now that is understandably a tremendous pressure, but you can and will get through this have faith brother. berta's post has some really great infomation also check out this article if you haven't already Do's and Don'ts for your C & P exam

Tbird

Founder HadIt.com Veteran To Veteran LLC - Founded Jan 20, 1997

HadIt.com Veteran To Veteran | Community Forum | RallyPointFaceBook | LinkedInAbout Me

Time Dedicated to HadIt.com Veterans and my brothers and sisters: 65,700 - 109,500 Hours Over Thirty Years

diary-a-mad-sailor-signature-banner.png

I am writing my memoirs and would love it if you could help a shipmate out and look at it.

I've had a few challenges, perhaps the same as you. I relate them here to demonstrate that we can learn, overcome, and find purpose in life.

The stories can be harrowing to read; they were challenging to live. Remember that each story taught me something I would need once I found my purpose, and my purpose was and is HadIt.com Veterans.

Thanks all, for this info and thanks for taking the time to help wish me luck...............Rich

GENERAL GEORGE S. PATTON, JR.

"Do more than is required of you."