Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Is This The Wave Of What Will Be?

Rate this question

robert51

Question

*Please note that DAVs MUST HAVE A COMBINED RATING OF 100% TO BE ELIGIBLE. DAVs receiving 100% because of unemployable status but whose combined rating falls below 100% are NOT eligible. No exceptions will be made.

In order for dependents to receive an ID card the sponsor must be present, if not, the dependent must meet one of the following conditions:

wanted an ID for my wife and this is what was said...

well seems like not everyone thinks 70% and IU PT is the same as 100% dont know why they are being such As? holes about this

• Answers 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Do you have that in writing, hard copy?! If so, then you can appeal. In the meantime, there must be some public law passed before they can recind gratuitious benefits. This is news to me. I'd like a little law in fact to back up their actions towards you. ~Wings

*Please note that DAVs MUST HAVE A COMBINED RATING OF 100% TO BE ELIGIBLE. DAVs receiving 100% because of unemployable status but whose combined rating falls below 100% are NOT eligible. No exceptions will be made.

In order for dependents to receive an ID card the sponsor must be present, if not, the dependent must meet one of the following conditions:

wanted an ID for my wife and this is what was said...

well seems like not everyone thinks 70% and IU PT is the same as 100% dont know why they are being such As? holes about this

My wife got her dependent card renewed yesterday.

TDIU means that you are service connected-disabled and can't work because of your service connected conditions.

In the case of TDIU the schedule of disabilities does not give you 100 percent, but 'the VA recognizes' the fact that you can't work because of your disabilities.

In most cases TDIU vets have more than 100 percent in schedular disabilities but the stupid VA math will never let them hit 100 percent.

I have 10+10+30+30+70.

VA math cuts my 150 down to 80.

I'd like to see the law that distinguishes between a 100 percent and a TDIU award as they relate to dependent benefits.

sledge

If you are talking about a ID card,this is what you have to do.Go to your regional va office and have them to write you a commissary letter stating that you are being pay at the 100% rate and that you are permanent,and when you get letter,take it to any military base where they make IDs along with your marrige license,birth certificate,DD Form 214 and take your wife with you so can get it all done at the same time.If there is a military base close by go there.

mobie

Do you have that in writing, hard copy?! If so, then you can appeal. In the meantime, there must be some public law passed before they can recind gratuitious benefits. This is news to me. I'd like a little law in fact to back up their actions towards you. ~Wings

i have an id card myself i got it in oregon a few years ago i was trying to get one for my wife and was sent a letter by the RAO and that was in the letter from DEERS/? sent to the RAO .....i wrote back and asked if there was something in writing saying my wife can not have a card because of my rating so far no reply....

Where did that info come from?

I am having problems on the net due to weather-

I suggest you access the DEERS web site-cant post the link-

Even many local Reserves Centers can process the ID card- they need an appointment set up first- for the card photo-

I wonder if the card rests on the P & T criteria?

Someone sent me (think it was the VA but not sure)

the entire list of docs I had to bring to get the DEERS card-and not to forget to bring my husband's 100% P & T posthumous SC award letter)

Maybe my local county Veterans Service Agency sent me the info-not the VA-I would call your county VSA and see what they say on this-

Edited by Berta

• HadIt.com Elder

x

x

x

Write your VARO and ask them to send you a Veterans Letter, that authorizes Commissary and Exchange Privileges.

Take this VARO Letter, along with a completed (or nearly complete) DD Form 1172, “Application for Uniformed Services Identification and Privilege Card; obtained here http://www.dtic.mil/whs/directives/infomgt...orms/dd1172.pdf

Take these together to the nearest Military Base ID Cards section - and there you go!! Enjoy your benefits! I save about 25-40% on my grocery bills each month that I shop at the base. ~ Wings

Laws and Regulations

M21-1, Part VII September 15, 1994

5.08 LETTERS a. Veteran's Letter VLET. The BDN system is able to produce frequently used form letters that are batched and mailed each night from the data processing centers. Use this system to the fullest extent. The letters are produced from the following seven different categories that are displayed on the VO1 (Letters Selection) screen:

(1) Commissary and Exchange Privileges (veteran);

(2) Civil Service Preference;

(3) Education Entitlement;

(4) Education Award Data;

(5) Compensation and Pension Award (veteran);

(6) DIC/Pension (widow/er-child-parent); [and]

(7) Service.

b. Commissary and Exchange Privileges Letters

(1) Requests for Commissary and Exchange Privileges letters will receive prompt attention. Upon receipt of the request, verify eligibility information from the BDN or the claims file. If indicated, issue the appropriate letter. All VSDs and appropriate subordinate locations will stock DD Form 1172, Application for Uniformed Services Identification and Privilege Card, a copy of which will be provided with each commissary privilege letter issued.

(2) Issue a Commissary and Exchange Privileges letter for the eligible veteran, his or her spouse, or dependent child. To be eligible for this certification, a veteran must have been honorably discharged from the Armed Forces and have a service-connected disability (or disabilities) rated at 100 percent disabling including individual unemployability. Temporary 100 percent evaluations under paragraph 28, 29 or 30 of the Schedule for Rating Disabilities or ratings of 100 percent based on the following diagnostic codes do not qualify a veteran for this certification:

December 14, 2006

In Reply Refer To: 216B

Fast Letter 06-27

Directors (00/21)

All Regional Offices and Centers

SUBJ: Commissary and Exchange Privilege Letters

The purpose of this letter is to advise regional offices that there has been no change in Department of Defense (DoD) or VA policy regarding commissary and exchange privileges for veterans rated 100% for individual unemployability (IU).

On May 10, 2000, Fast Letter 00-37 transmitted a ruling by DoD’s General Counsel that clarified the issue of commissary privileges for veterans rated 100% disabled due to IU. The ruling was the result of an apparent conflict between M27-1, Part I, Para. 3.08b(2), and a Department of Defense July 11, 1998, order that prohibited commissary and exchange privileges to those veterans.

DoD instructed its facilities that “honorably discharged veterans determined by the VA to have a service-connected disability of no less than 60%, but rated 100% disabled based on individual unemployability are entitled to MWR, Commissary and Exchange privileges.” This instruction is still in effect. M21-1, Part VII, Para 5.08b is still in effect except for the references to VLET, which PCGL letters have replaced.

In issuing letters for commissary and exchange privilege purposes, regional offices must use one of the three PCGL AB3 letters. They are: Future Exam Scheduled, No Future Exam Scheduled, and To Surviving Spouse. Do not use any other letters, and do not include any reference to an IU rating in the PCGL letters.

/s/

Bradley G. Mayes, Director

Compensation and Pension Service

Commissary Benefits

Unlimited exchange and commissary store privileges in the United States are available to unremarried surviving spouses and dependents of:

Veterans who died while on active duty, or,

Veterans who were separated under honorable conditions and who are eligible for compensation due to 100 percent (total) service-connected disability, as determined by the Veterans Administration or one of the Military Services.

Surviving spouses of reservists and their dependents also may be eligible.

For detailed information, contact the nearest military installation.

Though these benefits are provided by DoD, VA does provide assistance in completing DD Form 1172, “Application for Uniformed Services Identification and Privilege Card.”

VA provides a certification letter for your use in obtaining commissary and exchange privileges from the armed forces. To request a Commissary and Exchange Privileges letter, you may visit the nearest VA Regional Office, call toll-free 1 (800) 827-1000, or click here to send an electronic inquiry. http://www.vba.va.gov/bln/dependents/commissary.htm