Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

How To Aquire Veteran's Disability Benefits Without Joining The Military

Rate this topic

SSGMike.Ivy

Carlie,

I seen where a ex-husband was ordered to pay his ex-wife allimony. The entire time I knew them he worked and she stayed at home. Their house was the dirtiest nasties home I've ever been in. I was told she had always been that way. She was awarded alimony for 10 years $600.00 a month.

I don't think anyone is entiteled to alimony. People make decisions that they have to live with. She could have done anything she wanted. This is the 21st century not the 1800's.

I worked for the railroad as a engineer. I worked 80 hours a week and when I was at home I had to clean because she would do nothing when I was gone. When she filed for divorce she and her attorney were asking for $1600.00 a month. Yes she was including my VA disability.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Carlie,

I agree with you that "staying at home - believe it or nor - helping the vet meet their goals or taking care of the vet,staying at the same educational level to clean, cook, grocery shop, raise kids, wash and fold then put away laundry,go to parent - teacher confrence's, etc........ has got to be worth something"; the military retirement but not my VA disability; these judges who don't follow the federal law really put the Vet in a catch 22.... B)

Well, I might get flamed on this, but I love to play roulette anyway.

What about if a EX-Spouse was married to the veteran when they were 18, the EX didn't further their education, the veteran did.

The EX spent 25 years staying at home - believe it or nor - helping the vet meet their goals or taking care of the vet,staying at the same educational level to clean, cook, grocery shop, raise kids, wash and fold then put away laundry,go to parent - teacher confrence's, etc........ has got to be worth something.

As others have stated - I sure would be hopeing my EX would re-marry.

Remember - Don't shoot the messenger - lol.

carlie

And this is why, when my wife and I (both E-3s at the time) got married, we had a clear understanding that we were BOTH going to continue to work. We even did a "leave each other's military retirement alone" prenup. I was 19, so I wasn't smart enough to think about VA disability -- but it's not an issue since we're still married 20 years, 2 weeks and 3 days later.

Young enlisted types barely out of their teens don't think about prenups as a general rule. That gets costly when that young troop becomes a senior NCO and the marriage dissolves for whatever reason.

I'd LIKE to see "fault" be a part of the decision, too. The way things are now, retired pay is divisible regardless of the member's "fault" in the collapse of the marriage. The member comes home and finds the spouse canoodling with the neighbor -- doesn't matter, the member still might lose a chunk of retirement. To add insult to injury, the now former spouse has that share of retired pay for life -- and can use it to help support his/her lover. Nice, eh?

• HadIt.com Elder

I agree with Carlie. The judge is not taking away the vet's disability, per se. It does have to be reported as income, though. Then the judge orders the amount of alimony to be paid to the former spouse. It is up to the vet which check that amount is deducted from. In a way it is wrong, and in a way it is right. i don't like it, but legally, the vet must report the income.

[rant]On a side note...with women's equality, why do men still have to pay alimony anyway? This just seems like women wanting to have their cake and eat it, too. I mean, women want to have jobs such as police and fire, but for the most part they are physically incapable of performing those jobs (and don't tell me otherwise...my wife has been on police departments for over a decade as a animal control officer and I can't tell you the number of women who have had the crap kicked out of them by a perp, and I am a former firefighter), and they still want to collect $$ from the man when they divorce. It's not right! Child support, hell yes (I have paid every penny of mine for 17 years). Alimony, hell no! Get off your a$$ and get a job....it's 2008 for God's sake! [/rant]

• HadIt.com Elder

If you live in Texas no alimony and split it all up 50/50 but if you have kids you have to pay for their support which seems fair to me. Sometimes you have to pay temporary support while the divorce goes through the Court and sometimes you have to pay a limited Alimony if the wife has not worked for a long time but its usually set at 20% of salary or whatever you agree to.

I like what Rodney said about his credit cards being stolen but he did not report it cause the thieves spent less than his wife did. B)

• HadIt.com Elder

My thoughts, if the spouse has earned a portion of disability pay by factual, genuine contribution, support or endurance, so be it. But don't stop there, read on for my real thoughts!

Military, active or retired divorce/seperations are probably very high

in splits, I dont side everytime by a man or a woman, each contributes, one side less or more.

each situation is just that, each.

man or woman can hold their own if capable and allowed the chance.

Children deserve care first,

what happens in vegas doesnt stay there (men or women)

military retirement earned with spouse as part of the team = shared retirement

spouses normally share, meals, beds and retirement income, dont they? or not.

prenups are ok

uncle sam would issue spouses if needed.

marriage splits always involve more than 2 people

Disabilities affect others.

some military members dont deserve their spouses

some spouses dont deserve part of military retirement

disabiliy pay is for the individual but could include dependents allowance

va disability is extremely hard to get or we would have Hadit

upset people dont always think logically

morals are from role models, most often our parents

judges are like horses, ya just gotta watch em!

wishing the best for your day,

cg

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use