Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Question On Ssd While 100%

Rate this question

Joe Keller

Question

Hi all, I am rated 100% disabled, 40% from gunshot wounds and 70% PTSD.. I know I cannot work. I have applied for SSD and also had all my medical records from all my doctors, VA and Outside Doctors which I took up to the SS meating. I hear a lot of people saying They always (mostly) turn you down the first time, or they want to find a way for you to work. Well, that doesn't make sense if I cannot work due to the VA 100%. If they said I could work, would I not lost my 100% rating. Seems like it does not make sense. They also informed me that it would be 5 weeks before they received any other paperwork needed from my doctors. And usually takes 5-12 months before you hear anything back. Then if an appeal would be needed then you're looking for another 12-18 months. This prep work is being done by an outside agency and the person that spoke to me on the phone sounded coldlike. What are the chances other then 50/50 that SSD would be approved without the need for an appeal. Thanks for any replys

• Answers 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

The reason is that SSD and VA use different criteria for being disabled.

SSD uses: Cannot do any gainful activity or is expected to end in death. Period.

VA uses the schedule for rating disabilities and bases percentages.

You can still work with a VA percentage of 100 percent if it is not TDIU or PTSD.

What you need to do is to ask an attorney who they use in your area for Occupational Independant Medical Evaluations. Call them and schedula an appointment. Take everything from the VA with you for review. You and the doc review it, then the doc will write it up.

They are the experts on disability and work. They write a report saying you are disabled, then most likely you will get SSD. Also keep in mind effects of meds and how long you can sit or stand in an 8 hour workday.

J

SSD seems to play the "game" fair...the VA has never heard of that word, fair that is game is definately in their vocabulary.

Hire an attorney if you feel the need. Just don't give up.

I am 70% PTSD with the VA and 10% for shrapnel residuals. I have also applied for IU.

I used Allsup to apply for SSDI and was approved in 10 weeks. Just received the approval on July 1st. SS based their decision strictly on previous doctor's reports and C&P's from the VA and they also retroed me back 1 year. I never saw a SS doctor or even spoke to anyone from SS. Allsup handled everything and did a great job for me. I will now send the SS decision to the VA and see if it helps my IU claim. Everything noted in my SS approval letter is service connected.

Good luck to you Joe.

The systems are different. Neither has any thing to do with the other outside of most of the time one will consider the input of the other.

With SSDI you must NOT be able to do any gainful employment whatsoever. None period. There is none of this 10 percent this 50 percent this etc..... Its 100 percent or nothing.

As you well know with the VA system you can be 20 percent disabled for this, 50 for that, 70 for this etc...... and still not reach 100 percent disability. However, if you do reach the 100 percent level, as long as it is not TDIU or 100 percent for a mental issue you can continue to work and make 200 g's a year and all is happy.

So to answer your question no, no, no just because you are denied by SSDI it does not mean that you should lose your VA. The VA has use a completely different rating system to reach that 100 percent for you.