VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

De Novo

Rate this question

broncovet

Question

Can someone explain a De Novo Review? Is a De Novo in addition to a DRO appeal, or is it instead of a DRO Review? Also, is their an advantage to a DRO hearing? I am guessing that a hearing would take longer, but is it worth the wait?

• Answers 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Can someone explain a De Novo Review? Is a De Novo in addition to a DRO appeal, or is it instead of a DRO Review? Also, is their an advantage to a DRO hearing? I am guessing that a hearing would take longer, but is it worth the wait?

Actually a De Novo review, a DRO Hearing and a DRO appeal are all one of the same. The only proper name is De Novo review, you can either request to appear at the review or not. In my opinion this is just a waste of time and an added burden to you and the VARO. If you are working your own claim and have your evidence in order than in my opinion there is no reason to appear in person. If you appear in person I suggest that you have a represenative with you because if you say one thing out of context you could ruin your chances of getting service connection. If you request to appear this will take longer because they must schedule teh appeal for a specific date, time and place, and in most cases a heariing is not worth the longer wait. JMHO

De Novo

The New

1.cover again

2.as if for the first time:as

3.allowing independent appellate determation of issues (as of fact or law) a de novo review.

B

1.allowing complete retrial upon new

evidence

2.A de novo review is an in-depth review.Decisions of federal administrative agencies generally suject to de novo review in the U.S. District Courts, and some lower state court decisions are subject to de novo review at the next level.

Now you know.

LLFLY

I personally think the DRO hearing in person is KING if you have the evidence to back your claim. For instances if they made major mistakes as in my claim..."errors"..... I have often read and heard where Vets file a NOD and file for a DRO (NOT the hearing) and the VA just parrot the original denial...Just my opinion,,,,

• HadIt.com Elder

Yoggie

When I have asked for a De Novo review in my NOD I have gotten a cut and paste job. You got to have a hearing in front of a person to have a chance in my opinion. This gives you the best odds to point out mistakes. It helps if you have a competent POA at the hearing with you, and not some half-witted DAV guy who wants you to settle for a whatever the DRO wants to hand out as a token.