VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

My Gaf

Rate this question

CorCor

Question

I would like an opinion on my situation...I am confused with what is going on. I had seperate C&P exams....got rated 10% for my BP and 10 for Tinitus. All the other claims were shot down...I will be appealing. The kicker...my PTSD and depression were defereed and I was sent paperwork to fill out. They want a statement and letters or statements form others to prove that it(the incident..yrs of harrasement) happend (not in my SMR's).

From the C&P exam the Doc rated me at Axis V GAF : 45 (current) 48 ...is this number in my favor? Is it normal to have to prove or give statements..then combine them with the GAF to get my rating? I have been seperated since 06....I know this is a short amount of time to have to wait, but it is like rubbing salt in a would writing about the crap and having to get statements.....could it take years?

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated!

CorCor

• Answers 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

You should notarize the statements if at all possible. Second you should file for Social Secuirty also and use the date you last worked cause many times Social Security will use the date you apply. Proof all paperwork and if you can find someone that you trust to help you.

I wish you good luck and be sure to get and secure all copies of Military Records and Medical Records.

• HadIt.com Elder

Unemployment is a definite something you want to look into. Maybe a time limit, Best to ya, cg

Thank you for the info. Actually I was harrassed(physically & mentally) by the indidivdual for years..he was NCOIC in my shop and I was a new target. I finally got sick of it...literally and reported to one of my supervisiors. Eventually he was removed..put in another section. No repremand..nothing..I chose not to press charges, I was afraid....I kick myself in the ass. Anyway, the statements I get from others, do they need to be notorized? Oh and I do not work...I have not since I got out, never claimed SS or unemployment, did not know I could.

I have been diagnosed with PTSD. In some cases, most....when you have been sexually,physically assulted it does cause mental distress, depression.... PTSD. In my case it was more damaging than having to deal with HR's. Thank you for your input, I appreciate all I can get.

Okay, first of all I've found that I have to pre-face anything I say here on hadit with a disclaimer, so here's mine:

I have absolutely no idea what I am talking about. I am not advising you to do anything.

Okay, now that that is out of the way:

From what little that I understand about PTSD, it has to be (almost has to be) strictly related to Trauma, either suffered from or experienced by or witnessed by, the veteran claiming PTSD. This occurence(s) must be documented, either in your service records, service medical records, unit daily logs, fellow veterans that were there (and probably deserving of a PTSD award themselves), etc.

What you are discribing is harassment, physical/mental and, if I understand PTSD claims/awards, does not "rise to the level" of a PTSD claim/award.

Please do not think for a moment that I am belittling your "experiences", it's just not gonna win ya a PTSD award and your efforts would be much better spent (not to mention tying up hours of VA time, etc.) focusing upon a claim that you could just possibly "win".

Now, whether THAT claim would be for "depression" "dysthimia" "bi-polar depression/mania" or another of the pshychological disorders that stress, fear, discouragement, etc., can cause, is beyond my one night's stay in a Holiday Inn Express.

But, like I say......I'll wait for someone who is much more cognizant of these things than am I.

• HadIt.com Elder

Most people who have an anxiety disorder also have Depression. In about 17 years of dealing with mine and meeting 100's of people with Panic or PTSD I only know of a handful who did not have some form of Depression. By the way the VA knows this.

I have a question. How do I get a copy of morning rosters and daily reports. My home base was in Okinawa but I was sent to Tiawan, Thialand and Vietnam on TDY status for most of my stay while over there. I can't remember all of the places I was at and my military records don't show this, as I carried my medical records with me. I have searched the computer and asked the National Personnel Records Center for this info and got nothing. I even ask for this info thru FOIA and got the same result, nothing. I worked in calibration of electronic communication equipment and while I had securty clearence , I was still under guard while working at these sites. Maybe I was somewhere I wasn't supposed to be. If anyone knows how to get this information. let me know.Btw, welcome home and I thank all of you for your service and info here at hadit.

• HadIt.com Elder
I have been diagnosed with PTSD. In some cases, most....when you have been sexually,physically assulted it does cause mental distress, depression.... PTSD. In my case it was more damaging than having to deal with HR's. Thank you for your input, I appreciate all I can get.

Your "diagnosis" of PTSD is not the same as "winning" a claim for PTSD.....as you have already found out. If your doctor, be he/she a VA psychiatrist or a civilian-version of the same, must be able to link your "diagnosis of PTSD" to your time in the service and show "continuity of treatment or symptoms" from the present back to your "stressor event(s)" in the service.

Without the magic words "at least as likely as not" appearing in their reports as concerns your "nexus" to your service....then it is very doubtful that your PTSD will be compensible.