Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Letter From Psychiatrist

Rate this question

SouthernBelle

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Okay, FINALLY we are getting the doctor to write a letter, not just progress notes, about my husband's current condition. The doctor says he doesn't know what to say. He wants me to tell him. I've gone over the rating schedule for 70%, and I plan to give him that so he can compare it to my husband, and then he can..... do what? Copy it and apply it to my husband with examples? I'll post the sample letter I've drafted for him, and you tell me what you think. Please help, this has taken almost a year to get the doctor to do this, so we need it to be accurate and in VA lingo! Thanks for all replies!

To Whom It May Concern:

• Answers 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Posted Images

• HadIt.com Elder

Forget all the scanning stuff! I'll just type it up.

To Whom It May Concern:

Brian XXXXXXX is an active client at the Savannah Primary Care Clinic VA and is being treated for Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD), major depressive disorder, and panic disorder. His PTSD is related to combat from from Desert Storm. He is currently endorsing symptoms that include panic attacks several times per week, auditory hallucinations, depressed mood, anhedonia, intrusive recollections, increased startle, hypervigilance (on edge and on guard), poor concentration/focus, avoidance of war material, nightmares two to three times per week, and signifigant unprovoked irritability. His sleep and socialization are poor, and Mr. XXXXXXX often does not leave his bed. He is emotionally numb and detached with signifigant isolation. He has obsessive rituals that include rechecking doors and windows. He always sits by, or faces, doors and windows. His panic and anxiety symptoms have worsened recently. Mr. XXXXXXX suffers from spatial disorientation that requires the use of GPS and cell phone contact with his wife. He often needs directions for places commonly traveled. He also continues to report feelings of being unworthy of having healthy relationships. His insight and judgment are impaired.

Mr. XXXXXXX is unable to adequately function in a college environment. His grades are poor, and he needs tutoring help and special allocations to maintain enrollment in classes. He has had to drop several classes due to amount of time missed and inability to maintain adequate school work. Mr. XXXXXXX demonstrates severe impairment in coping skills and stress management. Social interactions are significantly impaired. Mr. XXXXXXX continues to report inability to work or adequately function in a social environment, and he is currently unemployed. His self-assessment is accurate per his most recent examination at mental health on 9/19/08. His family relations are poor, with isolation and discord. He reports no ability to form relationships outside the family unit.

Mr. XXXXXXX is currently unable to obtain, or maintain employment due to PTSD, panic, and depressive symptoms. He demonstrates severe impairment in his overall mental function, and currently not a candidate for even limited employment. Occupational and social impairment are severe. Prognosis is poor due to the severity of symptoms and the chronic course of the illness. He is appropriate for 70-100% disability related to work function. (He has been compliant with both therapy and medication treatment, and is motivated for continuation of both.)

I gave the doctor the rating schedule for 50-100% without the percentages and asked him to pick one for my husband, he picked 100%! I couldn't believe it. Do yall think this will win the increase now? Should he have cited the rating schedule? I really hope this will win the increase!

Dear Southernbelle,

His doctor wrote a strong IMO...based on his IMO one would hope the VA would award 70%. Not sure about UI tho because he is in training, now if he can not complete his VO Rehab training due to his PTSD then you could have him ask his VO Rehab counclor to write him a letter outlineing as to why he was not able to complete the program and wheather or not he would be a canidate for Vo Rehab and if they say no then he would have a greater chance at UI. I commend your husband for his valent efforts in taking control of his PTSD I know how difficult it must be for him to even go to class...and many People who suffer from PTSD are not able to take contol of there lives, but it is refreshing to read that your husband is trying to carve out a life for himself and his family it gives hope to others. I have always said I have PTSD but PTSD dose not have me I tell myself that every morning.

Everything works out in Gods time...so I will keep you both in my prayers that the VA does right by your husband. There are too many Vets that slipping through the VA Cracks...and I sad to say the crack is getting wider.

Be Well

MT

Edited by mountain tyme

• HadIt.com Elder

Mountain Tyme, I should admit that I often push him out of bed and make him go to school... I think if it weren't for me, and of course our son, he wouldn't get out of bed and go to school. He isn't doing well, but he's trying, and that makes all the difference. Also, his school is very helpful, they make sure that he doesn't fall through any cracks! They call if he misses a day. Usually the day he misses is for a VA appointment, but they still call. They check up on him, and that helps too. I'm cantankerous, and that helps too :lol:

Dear Southernbelle,

His doctor wrote a strong IMO...based on his IMO one would hope the VA would award 70%. Not sure about UI tho because he is in training, now if he can not complete his VO Rehab training due to his PTSD then you could have him ask his VO Rehab counclor to write him a letter outlineing as to why he was not able to complete the program and wheather or not he would be a canidate for Vo Rehab and if they say no then he would have a greater chance at UI. I commend your husband for his valent efforts in taking control of his PTSD I know how difficult it must be for him to even go to class...and many People who suffer from PTSD are not able to take contol of there lives, but it is refreshing to read that your husband is trying to carve out a life for himself and his family it gives hope to others. I have always said I have PTSD but PTSD dose not have me I tell myself that every morning.

Everything works out in Gods time...so I will keep you both in my prayers that the VA does right by your husband. There are too many Vets that slipping through the VA Cracks...and I sad to say the crack is getting wider.

Be Well

MT

• HadIt.com Elder

Dear Belle:

I think that your husband will win his VA Claim with your help. Has he filed for Social Security Disability? If not you should do it as soon as possible.

Good Luck and thank you for helping your Veteran.