Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Letter From Psychiatrist

Rate this question

SouthernBelle

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Okay, FINALLY we are getting the doctor to write a letter, not just progress notes, about my husband's current condition. The doctor says he doesn't know what to say. He wants me to tell him. I've gone over the rating schedule for 70%, and I plan to give him that so he can compare it to my husband, and then he can..... do what? Copy it and apply it to my husband with examples? I'll post the sample letter I've drafted for him, and you tell me what you think. Please help, this has taken almost a year to get the doctor to do this, so we need it to be accurate and in VA lingo! Thanks for all replies!

To Whom It May Concern:

• Answers 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Posted Images

• HadIt.com Elder

With that doctor's letter, you husband should receive 100% P&T, period.

The "rater" has just ran out of "wiggle room".

Now, get down to the Social Security office and file for SSDI.

Take that letter/statement from his doctor and have SSA include it with your claim.

I doubt seriously if your husband will even have to go to a Social Security med exam, what with that evidence.

May G-d bless you and your husband, and keep you, may His light shine down upon you,

And Give You Peace.

• HadIt.com Elder

Thanks everybody on Hadit. I read a lot of stuff on here before I started posting any thing, and the help on here is priceless. I tell every Veteran I know about this site. Anybody know if I can put a link to Hadit on my facebook and myspace pages?

Larry, the only thing I have left to worry about is whether the VA tries to CREATE some wiggle room. Let's hope not.

Pete, we haven't applied for SSI, SSDI, or anything because when we initially applied for SSI they said our truck was worth too much. We have two vehicles. One is a 97 Honda and the other is an 07 Dodge.... they said the truck and honda made our "assets" too high for SSI, and (I now know this isn't true) we shouldn't bother to apply for SSDI. We plan to get to the SS office asap, but I'd rather do that online. That way, I don't have to run home to get a single piece of paper that is vital. And I'm less likely to feel like an idiot.

• HadIt.com Elder

While it is true that you can apply for Social Security Disability Insurance over the internet, they will require you to have a "sit-down" with 'em. Usually by going into the SSA office after an appointment has been set up. Like I said, with your husband's doctor's statement, I don't think you'll have any problems with the SSA, I know that after I hit them with my doctor's statement, they did the "sit-down" over the telephone and didn't even bother sending me for an exam. I received my Social Security Disability solely on my doctor's report.

• HadIt.com Elder

I wonder with this kind of evidence you could challange the nature of your discharge even after all these years. Your victory is so complete. I don't know if you would benefit in any way from having a medical discharge as opposed to the General under Honorable you got, but it was an injustice since they just wanted to get rid of you. They did the same thing to me, but I filed for compensation within one year of discharge and got SC'ed for 10% which was a low ball joke. I had been in the nuthouse three times while in service and yet they claimed I was just unsuitable after Vietnam.

• HadIt.com Elder

Hey, John, his discharge was medical. He was discharged specifically for PTSD. I'll pull the DD-214 and see exactly what it says. Where would I find that?

I wonder with this kind of evidence you could challange the nature of your discharge even after all these years. Your victory is so complete. I don't know if you would benefit in any way from having a medical discharge as opposed to the General under Honorable you got, but it was an injustice since they just wanted to get rid of you. They did the same thing to me, but I filed for compensation within one year of discharge and got SC'ed for 10% which was a low ball joke. I had been in the nuthouse three times while in service and yet they claimed I was just unsuitable after Vietnam.

• HadIt.com Elder

The Type of Separation says Discharge; the Character of Service says Honorable; the Separation Code says JFL; the Narrative Reason for Separation says Physical Disability - Severence Pay

What does all that mean? Is it right?

Hey, John, his discharge was medical. He was discharged specifically for PTSD. I'll pull the DD-214 and see exactly what it says. Where would I find that?