Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 
Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Are Va Comp And Pension Benefits Worth The Hassel?

Rate this question

broncovet

Question

Winning VA benefits is a HUGE hassel. The VA claims a 6 month processing time, but that number is highly influenced with "fake dates", and it assumes there will be no appeals, another false assumption.

I personally have been trying to get my full VA benefits for 7 years. A little more than 5 years ago I won a BVA appeal award of "a complete grant of benefit sought". That did not end it. The VA decided that "complete" meant 0%. A zero percent "award" nets the Veteran the exact same monetary benefits as a denial.

Did I appeal? Sure. The VA decided that my NOD was "interpreted as a claim for benefits" and awarded me a much lesser benefit.

It has been 7 years of red tape run around and shredded documents..and I am guessing it will be 3 more years..maybe more, since I am no ways near the end. All this when 2 doctors and one audiologist have ALL stated the "Veterans conditions are most likely due to military service".

I am wondering if VA benefits are worth the ten or so years it takes to get them, then you turn around and have to spend the rest of your life worrying about them getting taken away. I dont have a choice, but I just dont think Veterans should be expected to serve 4 years in the service then 10 years trying to get their benefits. What do you think?

• Answers 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I reckon you are right..it is worth a 10 year hassel..or 11 plus year hassel, in Allan's case.

I met a Veteran who has been mired in red tape on his claim since 1973..his hassel was over 35 years

"processing" time....and counting..it isnt finished yet. He contacted his congressman about two years ago. You know what? I doubt that his 35 years was calculated in their averages.

I think I will ask him to go on CBS News..since he is in one of those motorized scooters with braces on both legs from war injuries in Vietnam. (His disability is very obvious when you see him, for others, their disabilities are much more "hidden"..but they can be just as real) He has a letter certifying 100% disability..guess what..it got "lost" a few times by the Cleveland Regional Office. So he sent them a copy of THEIR letter. They cant find it...the saga continues. Stay tuned for the next exciting episode of "Where did your claim go?"

The sad part is that many Veterans cant take a ten year hassel..they become homeless, give up on their claim, die, take drugs and alcohol, commit suicide, etc.

Edited by broncovet

• HadIt.com Elder

Heck yeah, It's a case study in how not to run a government agency. Keep your ducks in a row, keep copies, send certified copies, involve your congressman if need be, be polite above all else, and keep at it. The extra money I get helps me keep what I have got. Should there be a better way, of course. Besides, you get to hang out with all of us cool people.

I had no choice.

I already live in a warmer weather place and spaces underneath the bridges

are already full.

carlie

Carlie passed away in November 2015 she is missed.

If it take 10 years its a disgrace. This is the way I look at it. I started my claim in 2004 when I was 42 years old. Its now 2009 and I am 48 years old. So it took 5 years so far but guess what I still be 48 years old if I had given up. Never give up I had the DAV talk me out of one claim the day of my traveling board that will never happen again. NEVER GIVE UP

V/R

Jim

Delay, Delay, Delay another thousand Vets will die today. This has been almost a 9 year trip thru the VA maze.

Jim

Another "had no choice" here. Well..........it was either fight for VA comp or file for death benifits.

I would have died in this house had I lost it. And I told my senator just that.

Remember that one day you'll laugh at them all because success is the best revenge.

"Don't give up. Don't ever give up." Jimmy V