Read VA Disability Claims Articles
Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• tbirds-va-claims-struggle (1).png

• 01-2024-stay-online-donate-banner.png

Berta - Lawyer Finally Takes My Tort Claim

Rate this question

Teac

Question

A year ago this month the va screwed up my left eye cataract surgery. I have looked of lawyer for a year. Today a well know Austin texas law firm accepted my case for represenation. :unsure: I was told that a claim of 300,000 was not unusal for the damage the va did, and that it likely will settle outside of court for at least 200,000. The law firm gets 20% of the settlement or 25% if it goes to court.

I was really surprised by the call from the lawyers office, I expected another turn down, but was assured that I clearly have a winning claim.... wish me the best of luck because since I am already 100% a new rating would not provide me any additonal compensation...... so this is the only way I can get compensation for this problem.......

Edited by jbasser

• Answers 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

I am glad that you got a good Lawyer and sad for what happened to you. I am sure its more about what the VA did to you than anything else. Seems like a very fair fee that you have agreed to.

I think in Texas that we are limited to 500,000 thanks to our last President.

Veterans deserve real choice for their health care.

• HadIt.com Elder

25% is very low for this type of claim. I think in Florida the malpractice lawyers usually get 40% plus expenses beyond the award. I used a nursing home and we won 575,000 bucks and the lawyer got almost half including expenses. When I say "we" I mean the estate.

Teac,

Sounds like your filing suit under the FTCA, if so, I believe my law firm was limited to

20 % of the my award - because the money comes from the tax payers.

On Federal Tort Claims, I do remember the percentage the lawyers are entitled to

is the same percentage in every state, as it is Federal.

jmho,

carlie

Carlie passed away in November 2015 she is missed.

Teac,

Sounds like your filing suit under the FTCA, if so, I believe my law firm was limited to

20 % of the my award - because the money comes from the tax payers.

On Federal Tort Claims, I do remember the percentage the lawyers are entitled to

is the same percentage in every state, as it is Federal.

jmho,

carlie

Did you win your claim?

Teac,

Through court ordered mediation,I settled at

about 25% of the lowest figure you posted

and the doctor no longer being licensed.

carlie

Carlie passed away in November 2015 she is missed.

"wish me the best of luck because since I am already 100% a new rating would not provide me any additonal compensation...... so this is the only way I can get compensation for this problem......."

Right! and this is good news-

FTCA is a complex issue (then again my FTCA case was easier to prove that my other claims-maybe because lawyers at VA can read)

Teac- I realised in 2003 that I could not sue VA twice for same death so I filed an AO claim- it was not filed as Sec 1151 either-because I already had 1151 award-but I had uncovered the exact etiology of the malpractice they paid FTCA settlement to me on-

I re-opened with additional malpractice and as you know I got a BVA decision 2 weeks ago that awards all pending claims I had (6 I think-even the CUE claims)

I am bringing his up to you because you are in same position as I am- for a FTCA case as a distinct separate award from any VA comp-

If you state has a cap (I checked this before I negotiated with the General COunsel)you know how high he lawyer can try to get them to go on a OOC settlement.

If you dont like the offers the lawyer might well recommend federal court -

I am glad you pursued this- over the years I have had many questions about FTCA from vets or widows who did seem to have basis for FTCA claims- yet who failed to follow through-

many -like me-were told by lawyers we didnt have a case-

so I did my FTCA myself and succeeded-makes you wonder about the legal community sometimes

I tried to get pro se attorney fees added to my settlement (since I had done all the legal work myself)and at this point the VA attorney was exasperated!

He said I had given them a very tough fight-and I held quite firm on what I would accept as a settlement.

This is what a good malpractice lawyer will do for you-

it will save you los of time preparing paperwork and then dealing with the VA lawyers one to one.

(who are magnificent lawyers-in my opinion- and they are tough)

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.