Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

A Bothersome Trend

Rate this question

purple

Question

Many of you here who know me, know that I tend to say what I believe. Here's another one of those times....so if you think you aren't going to like it; stop reading now.

I see that several folks either claim or want to claim "medication side effects". Why not just tell your doc about the side effects and ask for a different med? You don't have to put up with side effects. I don't. Insist on a different med. It's your right to do that.

I just believe that filing claims for side effects of medications is not the intent of what the system was set up for.

{off soapbox now}

• Answers 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

In my opinion, a more bothersome trend would be Veteran's filing for comp 30-40 years after discharge.

Just my opinion since they had all that time to file.

Jay

Many of you here who know me, know that I tend to say what I believe. Here's another one of those times....so if you think you aren't going to like it; stop reading now.

I see that several folks either claim or want to claim "medication side effects". Why not just tell your doc about the side effects and ask for a different med? You don't have to put up with side effects. I don't. Insist on a different med. It's your right to do that.

I just believe that filing claims for side effects of medications is not the intent of what the system was set up for.

{off soapbox now}

• HadIt.com Elder

I take pain meds that cause chronic constapation & side effects. This causes me to take yet another medication. Your not going to get away from it by changing to another pain medication.

They make me groggy after taking them. Same thing with depakote, meclazine & baclofin. They all make me sleepy & increase my vertigo/dizziness.

I've changed to everything else they have. This is what works but not without side effects.

When processing claims, why do you take it so personal, that vets are not entitled & shouldn't be wasting your time by clogging up the claims dept with it?

This is why there is such a high backlog of claims in my opinion. Raters making up their own laws as they learn how to process a claim. Lets cut this, lets cut that, & they don't need that. How about granting what their entitled to & get the claim moving along. That way there won't be remand after remand after remand for not considering secondary effects from medications in the first place.

How about federal subsidies & corporate welfare? Maybe we could cut some of that out instead?

• HadIt.com Elder
In my opinion, a more bothersome trend would be Veteran's filing for comp 30-40 years after discharge.

Just my opinion since they had all that time to file.

Jay

Jay, ya know, some of us 60 year old vets are from the "old school" and some tough SOB's. And we learned to "suck it up" and keep on the hump, sometimes when it was step two steps forward and slide back five.

So, we've been "humpin it" for 30 or 40 years before our injurys become unbearable and we can no longer stand it.

You oughtta be damned proud to be in our company, besides, just think of all the money we saved ya!

"It is cold and we have no blankets.

The little children are freezing to death.

My people, some of them, have run away to the hills, and have no blankets, no food; no one knows where they are-perhaps freezing to death.

I want to have time to look for my children and see how many of them I can find.

Maybe I shall find them among the dead.

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired; my heart is sick and sad.

From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever."

Chief Joseph

I understand and am sorry for that. I was just comparing Purples example with a different situation. That's all. I do feel you deserve it, just don't get Purples point regarding side effects.

No pun intended,

Jay

Jay, ya know, some of us 60 year old vets are from the "old school" and some tough SOB's. And we learned to "suck it up" and keep on the hump, sometimes when it was step two steps forward and slide back five.

So, we've been "humpin it" for 30 or 40 years before our injurys become unbearable and we can no longer stand it.

You oughtta be damned proud to be in our company, besides, just think of all the money we saved ya!

Larry J

Thanks for your post. You are right about us being tough SOB's and sucking it up for many years. Some of us filed VA claims many years ago only to be denied. We grinned and bear it and continued with our lives. 30 to 40 years ago there were very few programs to protect our well being , such as hearing protection and hearing conservation programs. Some veterans from those eras have hearing loss or tinnitus and have a hard time proving that they were caused by their military service occupations. We were exposed to toxic chemicals and maladies related to those exposures take many years to develop.

Some of us old vets did not have the good fortune of being told about filing for VA claims when we got out. Myself I did not found out that I could file a VA claim until many years after I got out. I did not wait to file. Times are different now and va claim info is available while in service and after discharge.

68mustang

• HadIt.com Elder

I filed a claim in 1972 and got 10%. It took 30 years to get 70%, and two years to get IU. I got a CUE going back right to 1971 (my date of discharge) asking for IU, and my lawyer says I have a good chance. Anyway I can collect from those criminals who denied me years ago is a good thing, and may encourage others to fight.