Read VA Disability Claims Articles
Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• tbirds-va-claims-struggle (1).png

• 01-2024-stay-online-donate-banner.png

Major Depressive Disorder ? Pls Comment

Rate this question

c&p man

Question

Long story short i am diagnosed with depression,ptsd non combat, and anxiety by the va theripist for a non service related thing..... I went to a private theripist bc i was in a car acciedent during service which i am going to claim for ptsd and i going to claim depression from all my service connected conditions.... so as i learned here you got check you clinic notes or diagnose they give you.. i told my private theripist about car acciednet and my pain casuing deprssion.... but in his diagnose code he put major depressive disorder????? i know this was the first visit but what should i do or should i say so that it will help my claim?should i be worried about this diagnoses?

• Answers 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

.....is depression different than major depressin?

...No. "Depression" is the common term. Major Depressive Disorder is the correct diagnois and is found in 38CFR (ratings schedule) under Diagnositis Code 9440.

...No. "Depression" is the common term. Major Depressive Disorder is the correct diagnois and is found in 38CFR (ratings schedule) under Diagnositis Code 9440.

so major is not different then plain depression? and my non combat ptsd is been diagnosed by va but this private theriapist didint diagnose me with ptsd in his code section>?

• HadIt.com Elder

the word "depression" is a catch-all, that includes many varied psychological diagnoses. PTSD, anxiety disorder, and major depressive disorder are specific diagnoses listed in the DSM-IV. The first thing you need to do is look at each diagnosis that you have been given in the DSM-IV. Find out exactly what they mean. Then you need to get a nexus between each diagnosis, and a event that occurred while you were on active duty.

What were the circumstances of the car accident that you were involved in. Were you the driver, or was someone else driving? Was alcohol involved with your end of the accident (either you, or any other person who was driving you)?

Look at the Mental Health Claim Repository, which is pinned at the top of this page, and while you are looking up stuff in the DSM-IV, check into a condition called mood disorder due to a general medical condition. See if that may fit your symptoms, and if it does, speak to your psych doc about it.

90%, TDIU P&T

the word "depression" is a catch-all, that includes many varied psychological diagnoses. PTSD, anxiety disorder, and major depressive disorder are specific diagnoses listed in the DSM-IV. The first thing you need to do is look at each diagnosis that you have been given in the DSM-IV. Find out exactly what they mean. Then you need to get a nexus between each diagnosis, and a event that occurred while you were on active duty.

What were the circumstances of the car accident that you were involved in. Were you the driver, or was someone else driving? Was alcohol involved with your end of the accident (either you, or any other person who was driving you)?

Look at the Mental Health Claim Repository, which is pinned at the top of this page, and while you are looking up stuff in the DSM-IV, check into a condition called mood disorder due to a general medical condition. See if that may fit your symptoms, and if it does, speak to your psych doc about it.

ok my symtoms are that of mood disorder due to general medical condition ..i looked it up and i fit the criterea ...how do i word it when telling my theriapist...as he has diagnosed me with major depressive disorder? do i say hey i was reading the dsm 4 and i came across this do i fit under this? usually the theripist will say something like dont be worried with the diagnoses .....as they like to concentrate on treatment such as guilt,stressors etc.........

• HadIt.com Elder

Tell him you were discussing the issue with some fellow veterans who have various diagnoses. While we were talking, we looked into the DSM-IV and found that your symptoms were more in line with the mood disorder. Tell him you know that it is only words as far as treatment options are concerned, but that your veteran friends urged you to speak with him about this, because without a nexus to a in service event or a service connected condition, your claim is dead in the water. Just be honest. Tell him that getting better is your primary concern, but you have to be pragmatic and align yourself for the future should you get worse, and what is written in your medical records now will have a major impact on the future of your claims.

90%, TDIU P&T

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Tell a friend

Love HadIt.com’s VA Disability Community Vets helping Vets since 1997? Tell a friend!
  • Recent Achievements

• kidva earned a badge
      First Post
    • kidva earned a badge
      Conversation Starter
    • Lebro earned a badge
      Week One Done
    • spazbototto earned a badge
      Week One Done
    • Paul Gretza earned a badge
      Week One Done
  • Our picks

• These decisions have made a big impact on how VA disability claims are handled, giving veterans more chances to get benefits and clearing up important issues.

Service Connection

Frost v. Shulkin (2017)
      This case established that for secondary service connection claims, the primary service-connected disability does not need to be service-connected or diagnosed at the time the secondary condition is incurred 1. This allows veterans to potentially receive secondary service connection for conditions that developed before their primary condition was officially service-connected. 

Saunders v. Wilkie (2018)
      The Federal Circuit ruled that pain alone, without an accompanying diagnosed condition, can constitute a disability for VA compensation purposes if it results in functional impairment 1. This overturned previous precedent that required an underlying pathology for pain to be considered a disability.

Effective Dates

Martinez v. McDonough (2023)
      This case dealt with the denial of an earlier effective date for a total disability rating based on individual unemployability (TDIU) 2. It addressed issues around the validity of appeal withdrawals and the consideration of cognitive impairment in such decisions.

Rating Issues

Continue Reading on HadIt.com
      • 0 replies
    • I met with a VSO today at my VA Hospital who was very knowledgeable and very helpful.  We decided I should submit a few new claims which we did.  He told me that he didn't need copies of my military records that showed my sick call notations related to any of the claims.  He said that the VA now has entire military medical record on file and would find the record(s) in their own file.  It seemed odd to me as my service dates back to  1981 and spans 34 years through my retirement in 2015.  It sure seemed to make more sense for me to give him copies of my military medical record pages that document the injuries as I'd already had them with me.  He didn't want my copies.  Anyone have any information on this.  Much thanks in advance.  
      • 4 replies
    • Caluza Triangle defines what is necessary for service connection
      Caluza Triangle – Caluza vs Brown defined what is necessary for service connection. See COVA– CALUZA V. BROWN–TOTAL RECALL

This has to be MEDICALLY Documented in your records:

Current Diagnosis.   (No diagnosis, no Service Connection.)

In-Service Event or Aggravation.
      Nexus (link- cause and effect- connection) or Doctor’s Statement close to: “The Veteran’s (current diagnosis) is at least as likely due to x Event in military service”
      • 0 replies
    • Do the sct codes help or hurt my disability rating 
    • VA has gotten away with (mis) interpreting their  ambigious, , vague regulations, then enforcing them willy nilly never in Veterans favor.  

They justify all this to congress by calling themselves a "pro claimant Veteran friendly organization" who grants the benefit of the doubt to Veterans.  

This is not true, 

Proof:  

About 80-90 percent of Veterans are initially denied by VA, pushing us into a massive backlog of appeals, or worse, sending impoverished Veterans "to the homeless streets" because  when they cant work, they can not keep their home.  I was one of those Veterans who they denied for a bogus reason:  "Its been too long since military service".  This is bogus because its not one of the criteria for service connection, but simply made up by VA.  And, I was a homeless Vet, albeit a short time,  mostly due to the kindness of strangers and friends. 

Hadit would not be necessary if, indeed, VA gave Veterans the benefit of the doubt, and processed our claims efficiently and paid us promptly.  The VA is broken. 

A huge percentage (nearly 100 percent) of Veterans who do get 100 percent, do so only after lengthy appeals.  I have answered questions for thousands of Veterans, and can only name ONE person who got their benefits correct on the first Regional Office decision.  All of the rest of us pretty much had lengthy frustrating appeals, mostly having to appeal multiple multiple times like I did. 

I wish I know how VA gets away with lying to congress about how "VA is a claimant friendly system, where the Veteran is given the benefit of the doubt".   Then how come so many Veterans are homeless, and how come 22 Veterans take their life each day?  Va likes to blame the Veterans, not their system.   

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use