Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Medicare

Rate this question

sbrewer

Question

Husband was awarded SS disability with onset date of Feb. 7, 2007, we finally get the Medicare card and package in the mail with the begin date of August 1. 2009

Question: Shouldn't this be March or April 1, 2009 and if so can we do anything about this now.

The reason I ask is because he is suppose to have surgery (remove part of lung for lumg cancer) July 28, 2009 and Medicare kicks in August 1

Planning to call tomorrow but hoping someone comes along with advice

thanks,

sbrewer

• Answers 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

My husband just got his Social Security and the letter stated that he will be eligible for Medicare in two years.

• HadIt.com Elder

Judging by the 8/1 date, I'd guess that they've included the 5 month waiting preiod that went w/your husband's award. SSDI doesn't start paying until the sixth month after we become disabled. I'm assuming that's what happened but you should call to verify. Please post their response.

pr

Husband was awarded SS disability with onset date of Feb. 7, 2007, we finally get the Medicare card and package in the mail with the begin date of August 1. 2009

Question: Shouldn't this be March or April 1, 2009 and if so can we do anything about this now.

The reason I ask is because he is suppose to have surgery (remove part of lung for lumg cancer) July 28, 2009 and Medicare kicks in August 1

Planning to call tomorrow but hoping someone comes along with advice

thanks,

sbrewer

• HadIt.com Elder

Lessee.........he was awarded, onset date of 07 Feb 2007.....and you're held back 5 months so that'd be 07 Aug 2007 and Medicare doesn't start for 2 years so that'd be 07 Aug 2009.

Yup, you need to call someone. And see if the surgery can be postponed a couple weeks.

I have tried researching this, and got myself all confused. I know Eligibility for Medicare is not available for the 5 months wait period, plus the twenty-four months of receiving SSI/SSDI payments, for a total of 29 months.

But do the months of backpay count as months of receiving SSI/SSDI? I have found conflicting information regarding this where some say it is not 24 months after effective date, but 24 months after the ALJ renders the decision and the SSI/SSDI payments begin.

• HadIt.com Elder

The 5 months are not included in the 24 month wait.

I was ALJ awarded from 7/05 and received medicare in Jan 08. so it took 29 months

J

• HadIt.com Elder

Postpone the surgery till Medicare is effective. Call them and verify the effective date. He should get a card soon. It looks like this would only be a few days and I am sure the Doc will be ok with it.

Good Luck