Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Private Insurance/100% T/p

Rate this question

Michael

Question

Good Day: I just received a letter from West Haven, VT VA, requesting that I sign a release so they can bill my private insurance for recent treatment. I am a 100% T/P rated vet(past 6 years). I have received all my treatment from this VA. 1. Should I sign this release? 2. Can VA bill my insurance with my type of 100%T/P rating. 3. Any other advice on this issue? Michael

• Answers 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

No offense here, but from my viewpoint I dont give a rip about the insurance company's bottom line, so I could care less who pays..the insurance company or the VA. I say we let VA Executives and Insurance company executives, who get all those big bonuses, worry about their bonus money and their bottom line. You worry about getting well, and let the insurance companies and the VA duke out who pays. As long as you arent the payer, why should you give a rip?

That "double insurance" could be a big benefit to you. Example: you need a treatment that the Va does not provide, so you obtain it privately. Go ahead and use your insurance..and let the insurance company try to get their duductable from the Va..

• HadIt.com Elder

I have seen some statements that VA has billed my insurance.

I have not signed anything but it does not bother me that much.

• HadIt.com Elder

This may be changing, but many health insurance plans have a lifetime limit on what they will pay, so the VA is reducing your lifetime limit by billing for SC conditions. I don't feel sorry one bit for BC/BS since I pay 2/3 of my federal disability pension to keep their insurance. I just want the VA to pay what they should pay and not fob it off on private insurance which drives up rates for all. I pay enough to keep private coverage for me and my wife as it is. I would not take my goldfish for serious treatment at my local VAMC. When I want to die I will go there for treatment. That will be my sendoff platform to the next world.

John

When you use B/C does the VA pickup the deductible/copays? If they do, I might get health insurance so I can get some decent health care, as you sure dont get it at the VA. By the way, I saw your goldfish at the VA the other day, due to cutbacks they were served in the cafeteria.

• HadIt.com Elder

As a severely combat wounded vet. I take umbrage with the policy. Another reason I do not use the VA. I have paid for the treatment of my combat wounds, and have felt the cold shoulder of an ungrateful nation. This is just another slap in the face for me. When I have gone to the VAMC, I just refuse to sign the form and politely tell the clerk that I will not participate. I usually get a blank stare from disengaged eyes, as I walk back to my sit & wait chair....

" to care for him, who shall have borne the battle, and for his widow, and his orphan" ... Principals have become obsolete. Some people don't care, I do...What a world.....

Edited by Commander Bob