Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 
Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Finally Got Social Security

Rate this topic

free_spirit_etc

I finally got my decision letter from my hearing - and was awarded "mother's benefits" from SSA. Whew! Something I thought would be simple took an enormous amount of time and energy. There were a lot of games played - senseless games. So it took a lot of studying of Social Security laws to hang in there. Fortunately, we were blessed with a wonderful judge.

Gotta start focusing on the VA now.

At this point - with the VA:

1. I have just contacted my Congressman's office to get their assistance getting copies of my husband's discharge physical and the VA medical opinion that was used to deny my claim (that I have been trying to get for a couple of years).

2. I have a Notice of Disagreement concerning my Notice of Disagreement. It was clearly mailed prior to the deadline. The VA acknowledges they received it within the 5 day time frame of the deadline. But they still dismissed it as untimely.

3. I have an active Notice of Disagreement on my husband's burial claim. They paid $300 for funeral, but not for burial. Had to prove AGAIN that he was buried.

4. I submitted evidence under the Special Processing for Missing Documents - i.e. resubmitted all the evidence I sent by certified mail that the VA signed for but denied receiving.

I hate the games.

Edited by free_spirit_etc

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congratulations on Social Security! Wooo Hooo!

The Va, well, we know that can be an entirely different bucket of worms. Keep at em - the squeaky wheel gets the oil!

• HadIt.com Elder

Free - congratulations on hanging in there for the SSA! What a relief that must be, you are so very deserving with all that you've gone through.

Keep a tight watch and tight notes on your VA claims - I feel thats your next win very soon.

Have a Merry Christmas - hugs! -

Cowgirl'up2009!

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use