medical opinion has changed significantly in the last few years. One main

change is that the VA can no longer reject a private doctor's opinion on the

basis that the doctor did not review (or have access to) the vet's entire VA

claims file folder. Similarly, a VA doctor's opinion will no longer be

weighted as having more probative value simply bc he/she did review the

vet's C file folder. The precedent Court case that lays it all out is:

Nieves-Rodriguez v. Peake, 22 Vet.App 295 (2008) – key holdings:

1. A medical opinion, whether VA or private, is not entitled to any weight

if it contains only data and conclusions.

2. The Board may not prefer a VA medical opinion over a private medical

opinion solely because the VA examiner reviewed the claims file.

3. It is the factually accurate, fully articulated, sound reasoning for the

conclusion, not the mere fact that the claims file was reviewed, that

contributes probative value to a medical opinion.

Just thought this info might help,

Katrina J. Eagle

Attorney at Law

The Veterans Law Office of Eagle & Wildhaber, LLP

Representing America's Veterans and Their Families

858 272 1560 (San Diego, CA) / 877 787 7207 (toll free)

www.veteranslawoffice.net

- Hide quoted text -- Show quoted text

Maybe this might help a VET---

STEVE & PAT

1never_give_upedit.jpg
  • Answers 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

I wish someone could boil this down so I could understand it better... I am espeically interested as I have just recently submitted an IMO with an appeal.. it was very thorough and included tons of medical research with the exam, research, and opinion.

Not in appeals, since I got 100%, and some of it was winning an 1151 negligence, which the VA turns out does not give ful benefits if you win 1151 negligence they squirm and legal loophhole you and your family out of many benefits, really crapp nasty bunch running the va benefits, they wil backstab and scre wyou even if you win you lose. May 2021.

01-01-11_My_Medical_Records2.jpg

I have just recently submitted an IMO with an appeal.. it was very thorough and included tons of medical research with the exam, research, and opinion.

retired,

I hope the IMO relates everything to you and the military directly

and not just general research on the condition, in the population as a whole.

jmho,

carlie

Carlie passed away in November 2015 she is missed.

I agree

"It is the factually accurate, fully articulated, sound reasoning for the

contributes probative value to a medical opinion. "

This means that it is the medical rationale that gives any opinion weight.

I have the criteria for getting an IMO here under that topic.

I developed this criteria from the 2 IMos I got from a neuroradiologist who also had worked for the VA (Dr. Craig C Bash).

He knew exactly what wording he needed in the IMO.

For the medical rationale part he referred directly to evidence (MRI, blood chem readings, etc, etc) and other established documents and medical records, and opined why the C & P examiner was wrong.

He used 2 top notch medical treatises to support his conclusion and enclosed a 12 page Curriculum vitae of his expertise.

My claim was to prove diabetes caused my husband's death.Diabetes never appeared once in my husband's medical; records as I claimed it had been misdiagnosed and caused the CAD and CVAs that caused his death.

One key point of his initial IMO was his statement that- as a neuro-radiologist he had read thousands of MRIs of diabetics and his opinion as to the extent and type of my husbands severe brain trauma and lesions were based on what his experience had found-brain ischemia had been caused by high glucose (ie diabetes).

They didnt reject his first IMO-they never read it- so after getting a VA opinion I asked him for additional opinion to knock that one down.

I also had a free brief statement in email from a former VA doctor-it tooks many months to locate him and Dr. Bash contacted him to put his statement on his letterhead and it was incorporated into the final IMO.

The BVA awarded my claim, and gave great weight to the IMOs from Dr. Bash because of his meticulous medical rationale and also they gave great weight to the brief statement from the other doctor-the former VA Neuro-It was only 2 sentences but it was dynamite.It was considered a probative IMO because of the circumstances of the claim.

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.

So nice of you berta to break the contents of messages down for those not as familiar with the VA lingo, processes and make it readible for new one's here. Very generous of your time. Thank you.

Ah... This is good news. B)

I may go ahead and see about getting an IMO without getting the rest of the C-file. Ironically, what I have not been able to get from the VA is a copy of my husband's discharge physical (They say it doesn't exist) and a complete copy of the VA medical opinion that was used to deny my claim.

Neither one is probably actually necessary for an IMO. But I have been worried that the VA would not want to give an IMO any weight unless the doctor could state he reviewed the entire C-file.

Free

I found this on C&Ps & doctor statements--- Thought it might help someone--

On medical opinions--CP doesnt always top doctors opinion

For "Olsarge", "Auditory" and others, the law re what constitutes an

adequate exam by either a VA examiner at a C&P exam or a private physician's

medical opinion has changed significantly in the last few years. One main

change is that the VA can no longer reject a private doctor's opinion on the

basis that the doctor did not review (or have access to) the vet's entire VA

claims file folder. Similarly, a VA doctor's opinion will no longer be

weighted as having more probative value simply bc he/she did review the

vet's C file folder. The precedent Court case that lays it all out is:

Nieves-Rodriguez v. Peake, 22 Vet.App 295 (2008) – key holdings:

1. A medical opinion, whether VA or private, is not entitled to any weight

if it contains only data and conclusions.

2. The Board may not prefer a VA medical opinion over a private medical

opinion solely because the VA examiner reviewed the claims file.

3. It is the factually accurate, fully articulated, sound reasoning for the

contributes probative value to a medical opinion.

Just thought this info might help,

Katrina J. Eagle

Attorney at Law

The Veterans Law Office of Eagle & Wildhaber, LLP

Representing America's Veterans and Their Families

858 272 1560 (San Diego, CA) / 877 787 7207 (toll free)

www.veteranslawoffice.net

- Hide quoted text -- Show quoted text

Maybe this might help a VET---

STEVE & PAT

Think Outside the Box!

• Tell a friend

Love HadIt.com’s VA Disability Community Vets helping Vets since 1997? Tell a friend!
  • Recent Achievements

• spazbototto earned a badge
      Week One Done
    • Paul Gretza earned a badge
      Week One Done
    • Troy Spurlock went up a rank
      Community Regular
    • KMac1181 earned a badge
      Week One Done
    • jERRYMCK earned a badge
      Week One Done
  • Our picks

• These decisions have made a big impact on how VA disability claims are handled, giving veterans more chances to get benefits and clearing up important issues.

Service Connection

Frost v. Shulkin (2017)
      This case established that for secondary service connection claims, the primary service-connected disability does not need to be service-connected or diagnosed at the time the secondary condition is incurred 1. This allows veterans to potentially receive secondary service connection for conditions that developed before their primary condition was officially service-connected. 

Saunders v. Wilkie (2018)
      The Federal Circuit ruled that pain alone, without an accompanying diagnosed condition, can constitute a disability for VA compensation purposes if it results in functional impairment 1. This overturned previous precedent that required an underlying pathology for pain to be considered a disability.

Effective Dates

Martinez v. McDonough (2023)
      This case dealt with the denial of an earlier effective date for a total disability rating based on individual unemployability (TDIU) 2. It addressed issues around the validity of appeal withdrawals and the consideration of cognitive impairment in such decisions.

Rating Issues

Continue Reading on HadIt.com
      • 0 replies
    • I met with a VSO today at my VA Hospital who was very knowledgeable and very helpful.  We decided I should submit a few new claims which we did.  He told me that he didn't need copies of my military records that showed my sick call notations related to any of the claims.  He said that the VA now has entire military medical record on file and would find the record(s) in their own file.  It seemed odd to me as my service dates back to  1981 and spans 34 years through my retirement in 2015.  It sure seemed to make more sense for me to give him copies of my military medical record pages that document the injuries as I'd already had them with me.  He didn't want my copies.  Anyone have any information on this.  Much thanks in advance.  
      • 4 replies
    • Caluza Triangle defines what is necessary for service connection
      Caluza Triangle – Caluza vs Brown defined what is necessary for service connection. See COVA– CALUZA V. BROWN–TOTAL RECALL

This has to be MEDICALLY Documented in your records:

Current Diagnosis.   (No diagnosis, no Service Connection.)

In-Service Event or Aggravation.
      Nexus (link- cause and effect- connection) or Doctor’s Statement close to: “The Veteran’s (current diagnosis) is at least as likely due to x Event in military service”
      • 0 replies
    • Do the sct codes help or hurt my disability rating 
    • VA has gotten away with (mis) interpreting their  ambigious, , vague regulations, then enforcing them willy nilly never in Veterans favor.  

They justify all this to congress by calling themselves a "pro claimant Veteran friendly organization" who grants the benefit of the doubt to Veterans.  

This is not true, 

Proof:  

About 80-90 percent of Veterans are initially denied by VA, pushing us into a massive backlog of appeals, or worse, sending impoverished Veterans "to the homeless streets" because  when they cant work, they can not keep their home.  I was one of those Veterans who they denied for a bogus reason:  "Its been too long since military service".  This is bogus because its not one of the criteria for service connection, but simply made up by VA.  And, I was a homeless Vet, albeit a short time,  mostly due to the kindness of strangers and friends. 

Hadit would not be necessary if, indeed, VA gave Veterans the benefit of the doubt, and processed our claims efficiently and paid us promptly.  The VA is broken. 

A huge percentage (nearly 100 percent) of Veterans who do get 100 percent, do so only after lengthy appeals.  I have answered questions for thousands of Veterans, and can only name ONE person who got their benefits correct on the first Regional Office decision.  All of the rest of us pretty much had lengthy frustrating appeals, mostly having to appeal multiple multiple times like I did. 

I wish I know how VA gets away with lying to congress about how "VA is a claimant friendly system, where the Veteran is given the benefit of the doubt".   Then how come so many Veterans are homeless, and how come 22 Veterans take their life each day?  Va likes to blame the Veterans, not their system.   

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use