Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Sleep Apnea

Rate this question

USMC_HVEQ

Question

I finally have a sleep study scheduled for March 31st. I was told to come in by 7pm. I'm assuming it is until the next morning. I've been waiting for an appointment for 3 months.

I am more than certain, that I have sleep apnea (OSA) and this study shall confirm it. Now I put a claim in stating I think sleep apnea was caused as a result of my PTSD (massive weight gain over 150 lbs) and/or HTN (hypertension). I only use the VA for medical care. I am wondering how to serivce connect it, once it is confirmed. I do not have anything in my SMR's that mention anything about OSA. I do have annotations in treatment notes from 2 pyschiatrists as well as my PCP, who put in the referral for the sleep study. I also have it noted in all 3 of my recent C&P exams. 1 of those exams, the examiner noted, I fell a sleep during the exam.

Symptomology-

• trouble sleeping and staying a sleep
  • never feel rested, regardless of duration of sleep
  • wake up with cotton mouth
  • been told by numerous people that I snore extremely loud and my mouth is open
  • my neck is 22" and I weigh about 380lbs. (disgusted to admit and put it out there but it is what it is).
  • often tired during the daytime.
  • trouble getting my body to go, when I do wake up

I'm interested in finding out what is going to take place at sleep study and I'm also interested in finding out how sleep apnea can be service connected w/o private IMO, since I only have the VA for health insurance, sicne i'm over 50% threshold.

Semper Fidelis

• Answers 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

My suggestion is to sleep as much as you can and don't forget to take your night time meds cause if you don't fall asleep you will have to come back.

Veterans deserve real choice for their health care.

They let you stay up until about ten or so then they turn out the lights and turn off TV if you are watching, I took my sleep med about an hour before lights out. I was awakened about 2 and given a mask to try :huh:. The only thing I remember after that was that she came in to tell me it was time to get up; best night of sleep I had in years. Good luck

They had me in bed not too long after arrival, and left before 7 am next morning because they had the info they needed.

You're hooked to electrodes and go to sleep. If you need to pee, wave your hand cuz they're watching you. You can pee in a bottle or be disconnected and go to bathroom.

Pretty painless and low stress, HVEQ. You don't need to worry about preparing for it.

All the best! :huh:

Hello All Hope All Is Well.

I was given ROPINIROLE HCL 0.25MG TAB

This is for a trial period until my upcoming sleep study.

Which I have had in the past and shows sleep apnea and yet they can not find the record? mmmmmm

They first glued all the wires to my head and chest. At around 10pm I was told to turn the lights and TV off. I slept for a few hours before they woke me and put the mask on. Another couple of hours they woke me again and kicked me out. Man, was that some good sleep they disturbed.

That was about 2 weeks ago. Haven't even gotten any results yet. Called today and the doctor hasn't even reviewed the results yet!

Hope I don't die in my sleep before then. :huh:

100% P&T

SMC-S

SMC-K

The ropinirole just for sleep seems odd... I take 1.0 mg per night, along with a couple of Lortabs, but that is for severe Periodic Limb Movement Disorder (my legs twitch, jerk, jump 100 times an hour or so... Hey, anybody wanna race me in the 440? LOL I'm about to find out if this is ratable as a "convulsive tic" or other nerve problem.)

I take other stuff too, but none of it seems to help the PLMD. I was on CPAP, now have BiPAP, still have terrible sleep architecture. But I won't give up hope, the docs are trying to figure out what makes me tic!

Ropinirole is marketed as Requip and a number of other brand names, primarily for Parkinson's Disease tremors and such.

To the OP; Hope your sleep study got the results that are best for you, and maybe they can get you fixed up with a fancy desnorifier ASAP. The only time a man should wake up gasping for breath is after an X-rated dream.