Read VA Disability Claims Articles
Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• tbirds-va-claims-struggle (1).png

• 01-2024-stay-online-donate-banner.png

Copies Of C&p Exams

Rate this question

Chu Lai69

Question

I had a C&P exam on May 11 for increase of hearing, and a C&P exam MH on May 14. What is a safe time to ask for copies of each without slowing down my IU claim that is in the process. Both exams were for the IU claim. The increase for the hearing lasted about an hour and the MH exam for 2 and a half hours. Thanks in advance.

• Answers 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

Chu Lai,

The VA has an option they pull sometimes, to not release MH records/exam results without an OK from the provider/examiner that wrote them.

Hopefully, they will just print it out and give it to you.

carlie

Thanks for all the responding advise. The VA Psyc (not contracted) is in the same VAMC. I do not think I would have any problems of him saying ok give it to him? I just don't want the request to slow any progress up? I prob should wait it out. The exams are so hard to predict? When you think you did good, you don't and when you think you did bad, you did good?? I just hate the stress waiting? Was trying to find any clues that I can LOL

Edited by Chu Lai69

I do not think that you have to wait and stress yourself out. It is true that the VAMC ROI sometimes withhold part of the mental health records but this can be solved quickly by going to the VAMC ROI and filling out the form and see if they give you a copy of your C & P exams. Once again this in no way will slow/hinder the process of your claim. You did not have a QTC exam so you do not have to go to the VARO to request copies just the VA hospital. The longer you wait the more stress you will be putting on yourself. You can also call the VAMC hospital ROI office and ask if the C & P exams are completed and signed, they can tell you if it is completed and then you can go fill out the form and get your copies. It has been several weeks and the C & P doctors have a deadline to complete and sign the exams, so don't worry until you have to and just go get a copy of your exams.

My intentions are to help, my advice maybe wrong, be your own advocate and know what is in your C-File and the 38 CFR that governs your disabilities and conditions.

Do your own homework. No one knows the veteran’s symptoms like the veteran. Never Give Up.

I do not give my consent for anyone to view my personal VA records.

I do not think that you have to wait and stress yourself out. It is true that the VAMC ROI sometimes withhold part of the mental health records but this can be solved quickly by going to the VAMC ROI and filling out the form and see if they give you a copy of your C & P exams. Once again this in no way will slow/hinder the process of your claim. You did not have a QTC exam so you do not have to go to the VARO to request copies just the VA hospital. The longer you wait the more stress you will be putting on yourself. You can also call the VAMC hospital ROI office and ask if the C & P exams are completed and signed, they can tell you if it is completed and then you can go fill out the form and get your copies. It has been several weeks and the C & P doctors have a deadline to complete and sign the exams, so don't worry until you have to and just go get a copy of your exams.

Thanks Pete993, going tomorrow! I just live about 22 Miles from the VAMC. Wish me luck LOL

Peace of mind at this stage is to acquire copies of these exams. Then after you get home compare them with the previous one's you had. Check and see what the GAF scores were previously and currently. Check all for the opinions the examiners made before to those of your 2 last month C&P's. Just because you can see the differences, does not mean the DRO or Rater will, but at least you will be able to see/know what the rating dept person is viewing too. We all here wish you the best in acquiring your hoped outcome. Be prepared to wait again as the VARO are not in any hurry deciding the majority of our claims unless terminal/older folks with disabilitating condiditons too.

The copies you receive from your VAMC are just basically kept in their computer they give to you. If you go back for the same copies they will tell you they gave them to you prior...so keep them as they do not like to give the same copies more than once, but will do if in a bind. The point is it shows up on their computer what/when copies you requested and received. Mine even accepted faxes from me already as they were closed when I got done with some appts too. My VAMC ROI dept(formally medical records) know me by name as I get copies all the time, and when I had C&P's recently, I completed my request, they watched when it was documented and computed as done and they mailed it to me too. I like the folks who work in that dept at my VAMC. Wish I could say the same for all the other staff that work there... :unsure:

BTW the same copies are sent to the VARO by request only, not routinely.

Edited by halos2

Just got back from the VAMC. The ROI gave me copies of both recent C&P for my IU claim. MH and Hearing. Both C&P one exam and one review turned out very positive in my favor. Now I just have to hope that the raters agree with the Doctor's?? Thanks again on your advise and response to my question. Takes a lot of stress off for the moment. Gives me a little piece of mind that things are at least moving in the right direction. Thanks again for the encouragement to go and ask for the copies.

Edited by Chu Lai69

Glad you got your C & P exams, now you can rest for a bit.

My intentions are to help, my advice maybe wrong, be your own advocate and know what is in your C-File and the 38 CFR that governs your disabilities and conditions.

Do your own homework. No one knows the veteran’s symptoms like the veteran. Never Give Up.

I do not give my consent for anyone to view my personal VA records.