Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Claim Granted!

Rate this topic

Lzjump

• HadIt.com Elder

Good now you CAN afford that cruise you have been waiting to take I am sorry they put you thru 6 years of hell to get the benefits you deserve I am like Berta I think they just hope we all die before they actually have to pay out the benefits I swear they act like it's coming out of their wallets..... the need to get 5 or 6 IMO or IMEs is just plain silly if they had to pay for them they wouldn't require that many of them

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congratulations!

I agree with Bill in that you should probably get a trusted financial advisor. The average widow, regardless of the size of the life insurance policy, is "broke" after just 2 short years. I dont think that statistic would be any different with DIC Retro.

You may want to consider an annuity. Why? Well lets just say you get a lump sum..I will just throw a number in the air and say $100,000 but I dont know how much your retro will be. If you get the lump sum, and you spend it unwisely, you will not have anything. But, lets say you invest it into an annuity. I dont have the numbers immediately available, but I am going to take a guess that $100,000 annuity would get you about $500 to $700 per month for the rest of your life depending on the interest rates of the annuity. This would be monthly income you could spend every month, and get it again next month, so you wouldnt "run out" of money.

Of course, I am not making financial advice, as I certainly dont know what would be best for you, but it would be something you may want to look into further.

Lzjump, I am so glad you found this site and the assistance offered by the members. As you wrote Berta was a tremendous help along your journey to win. All vets and families are encouraged when we find another vet/family member win what should have been granted years ago.

Winning and also a CUE win is spectacular too!! Budget wisely as others have offered hints too. With your knowledge of the DIC claims helping other family members is much appreciated. Anytime we can offer suggestions on how/what we did/gave/presented to win it is one step further to help another in their delemia too. Take care and a prayer is sent along to you for the stregnth your loved one sent your way as he watched over you.

Edited by halos2

• Founder

great news, very happy for you and like you i am also very thankful for berta and all the members here who roll up their sleeves everyday and try to be of help. i also concur with what others have said about a trusted and licensed financial adviser, if you find it all to distressing to think about right now put the majority of it into a 3 month CD and then take another look at it. protect yourself, this is a once in a lifetime kind of thing.

• HadIt.com Elder

ENHANCED DIC. Liz, I don't know if you husband was rated 100% or not but if you were married to him for 8 years or more when he was rated 100% you may be entitled to enhanced DIC. Tou need to look into whether you have entitlement to enhanced DIC. I mention this because you don't want V.A. to cheat you on the amount of your retroactive DIC. Congratulations on your victory.

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use