VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Emg's And Radiculopathy/sciatic Pain Questions

Rate this question

brokensoldier244th

Question

I went to my C and P today, and she did reflexes, tuning fork (That felt weird-parts of me could feel 'vibration' other parts of my toes just felt cold or pressure), poked me, bent my toes, asked lots of questions about onset, aggrivation, impariment in quality of life, what meds I was taking. She flexed my ankles, and toes and thighs.

...and scheduled an EMG sometime in the near future. If sicatica pain and radiculopathy is dependant on the position im in (sitting or standing) and im taking major anti inflammatories, won't that 'change' the EMG reading? If its looking for radiculopathy in an extremity and ive been standing and not sitting, for example, and it's not 'tingling' does that make the EMG read 'false'?

I'm diagnosed with radiculopathy in the right, but im trying to service the connect the left 2nd to DDD in lower lumbar spine.

Edited by brokensoldier244th

• Answers 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

My big toes have no flex. they hurt bad when they are moved.. and soemtimes the muscles spasm, and thtr toes curl under each other , and it is a screaming agaony twisting when it happens.. I have searched all over the Internet to see why toes twist aroud like pretzels.. it can go on for up around 15 or 20 minutes and repeat.. I showed some people when it happens because I really don't think anyone believes it.. it hurts like a MOFO while it happens.. if it is in the middle of the night while I am lying in bed I will jump up and try to get on my feet and try to push down with my foot to straighten my feet and toes..

I wonder wny my toes will not bend with my regular muscles, and when I try, except for when the muscles twist them unvolunarily..

the doctor tried to bend them and they would not bend.. but he and the other doctors never explained why they do not bend..

I went to my C and P today, and she did reflexes, tuning fork (That felt weird-parts of me could feel 'vibration' other parts of my toes just felt cold or pressure), asked lots of questions about onset, aggrivation, impariment in quality of life, what meds I was taking. She flexed my ankles, and toes and thighs. <br style="min-width: 0px; ">...and scheduled an EMG sometime in the near future. If sicatica pain and radiculopathy is dependant on the position im in (sitting or standing) and im taking major anti inflammatories, won't that 'change' the EMG reading? If its looking for radiculopathy in an extremity and ive been standing and not sitting, for example, and it's not 'tingling' does that make the EMG read 'false'?

I'm diagnosed with radiculopathy in the right, but im trying to service the connect the left 2nd to DDD in lower lumbar spine.

Edited by retiredat44

I just had an emg a few days ago for the first time. If you can have someone take you. I had my wife take me and am glad I did- I have similar pains as you and would not have been able to drive after the test due to pain. Online the emg test is sometimes painful even for a few days, mine hurt like hell still today off and on.

My wife had said to not take any pain/anti-inflammatory meds the morning of the exam- another reason she drove me. I don't know if it helps or not but since she was driving I followed her advice. Read my post from a few hours ago for more info.

Good luck, god bless.

Sincerely,

Aquabear

Well, despite pain and intermittent numbness, my EMG/NCVS came out as 'normal'.

Hmmm...now what?

Probably a no go on the left leg, despite symptoms, im assuming.

CAS

• HadIt.com Elder

You may have to have more than one to determine the nerve problem. Some Neuro Docs dont know how to interpet the results, Some are very inaginitive on these as they try to reinvent the wheel and say you have some crazy disease like Parsonage Turner syndrome.

remember these tests are actually a guess. It measures the speed of the signal from a Nerve point to a muscle. The Needle test is more evasive but it is a better test.

Keep trying and dont give up. If your process is not active, you may get Normal readings.

J

Edited by jbasser

I had one of each-id rather not again :-0

From what ive read here and on another board by some that have been raters, the test is only 1 piece of several. If there is is other subjective evidence over time of the issue it could be indicative of mild neuropathy and not permanent damage and so a rating can still be established. We'll see.

CAS

You may have to have more than one to determine the nerve problem. Some Neuro Docs dont know how to interpet the results, Some are very inaginitive on these as they try to reinvent the wheel and say you have some crazy disease like Parsonage Turner syndrome.

remember these tests are actually a guess. It measures the speed of the signal from a Nerve point to a muscle. The Needle test is more evasive but it is a better test.

Keep trying and dont give up. If your process is not active, you may get Normal readings.

J

• HadIt.com Elder

The truth is PN is subjective to some extent. The doctor sticks you with a pin and asks you if you feel that? If you say "No" that is evidence of PN. I am sure that if they prick you hard enough unless you are totally numb you will react, but not if you have mild PN. This was how the VA determined if I had PN in both feet and both hands. I got 10% in each limb and my EMG was normal. Actually, the doctor who did the test for the VA was so incompetent the test was considered as null and void. I just got the pin prick test. I felt some things and did not feel others so I got ten percent. It was secondary to DMII. I claimed it or I would never have been examined for it. The VA knew I had DMII but never did any tests for secondary conditions until I filed claims for those conditions. That is truly piss poor medical treatment. You have to DX yourself before they give you an exam. It is not part of the routine C&P exam for DMII at my VAMC. I was DX'ed with calcification of some of the veins and arteries in my legs. I had complained about a lump on my leg and got a CT scan. I filed a claim on my own initiative for artery disease. I ended up with a 60% rating for CAD. All this was secondary to DMII.