Announcements

• veteranscrisisline-badge-chat-1.gif

• Advertisemnt

• 14 Questions about VA Disability Compensation Benefits Claims

questions-001@3x.png

When a Veteran starts considering whether or not to file a VA Disability Claim, there are a lot of questions that he or she tends to ask. Over the last 10 years, the following are the 14 most common basic questions I am asked about ...
    Continue Reading

• Ads

• Most Common VA Disabilities Claimed for Compensation:   

tinnitus-005.pngptsd-005.pnglumbosacral-005.pngscars-005.pnglimitation-flexion-knee-005.pngdiabetes-005.pnglimitation-motion-ankle-005.pngparalysis-005.pngdegenerative-arthitis-spine-005.pngtbi-traumatic-brain-injury-005.png

• Advertisemnt

• VA Watchdog

• Advertisemnt

• Ads

• Can a 100 percent Disabled Veteran Work and Earn an Income?

employment 2.jpeg

You’ve just been rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Affairs. After the excitement of finally having the rating you deserve wears off, you start asking questions. One of the first questions that you might ask is this: It’s a legitimate question – rare is the Veteran that finds themselves sitting on the couch eating bon-bons … Continue reading

• Ads

• Fund HadIt.com Veteran to Veteran LLC

fundraising.jpegHadIt.com Veteran to Veteran Fundraiser
    Revenues are down, costs are up and I need your help. Financial gifts are always appreciated but never required. If HadIt.com has helped you and you can give back a little it is appreciated Give here https://community.hadit.com/donate/make-donation/

Give a financial gift to help with the upkeep of HadIt.com. HadIt.com is NOT a non profit. Gifts are not tax deductible, they are just gifts. 

• Donation Box

Please donate to support the community.
    We appreciate all donations!
  • Our picks

• How to get your questions answered...

All VA Claims questions should be posted on our forums. Read the forums without registering, to post you must register it’s free. Register for a free account.

Tips on posting on the forums.

Post a clear title like ‘Need help preparing PTSD claim’ or “VA med center won’t schedule my surgery” instead of ‘I have a question’.

Knowledgable people who don’t have time to read all posts may skip yours if your need isn’t clear in the title. I don’t read all posts every login and will gravitate towards those I have more info on.

Use paragraphs instead of one huge, rambling introduction or story. Again – You want to make it easy for others to help. If your question is buried in a monster paragraph there are fewer who will investigate to dig it out.

Leading to:

Post clear questions and then give background info on them.

Examples:

A. I was previously denied for apnea – Should I refile a claim?

I was diagnosed with apnea in service and received a CPAP machine but claim was denied in 2008. Should I refile?

B. I may have PTSD- how can I be sure?

I was involved in traumatic incident on base in 1974 and have had nightmares ever since, but I did not go to mental health while enlisted. How can I get help?

This gives members a starting point to ask clarifying questions like “Can you post the Reasons for Denial from your claim?” etc.

Note:

Your firsts posts on the board may be delayed before they show up, as they are reviewed, this process does not take long and the review requirement will be removed usually by the 6th post, though we reserve the right to keep anyone on moderator preview.

This process allows us to remove spam and other junk posts before they hit the board. We want to keep the focus on VA Claims and this helps us do that.
      • 2 replies
    • Exams that were being sent strictly to contractors before, due to VAMCs not being open, are starting to be routed back to VAMCs. This is going forward from last Friday- not sure if prior scheduled exams will be re-created for VAMC vs vendor.
      • 7 replies
    • Mere speculation in your VA C and P exam

M21-1, Part III, Subpart iv, Chapter 3, Section D – Examination Reports III.iv.3.D.2.r. Examiner Statements that an Opinion Would be Speculative Pay careful attention to any conclusion by the examiner that an opinion could not be provided without resorting to mere speculation (or any similar language to that effect). VA may only accept a medical examiner’s … Continue reading
      • 0 replies
    • A favor please - just changed servers so if you have a moment...
      A favor please - just changed servers so if you have a moment go to https://www.hadit.com I'd like to see how the server handles a lot of traffic. So if you have a moment click the link and i can see how things are going on the back end.
      • 11 replies
    • It's time to ask for help from the community. If you can help with a gift it would be very appreciated.

Fund HadIt.com Veteran to Veteran LLC

Give a financial gift to help with the upkeep of HadIt.com. HadIt.com is NOT a non profit. Gifts are not tax deductible, they are just gifts. 
      • 11 replies
  • Advertisemnt

Sign in to follow this  
jerlor

Tdiu Spouse

Question

Can anyone tell me if my wife can get health care through the VA. I am 100% TDIU and 70% service connected.

You need to check and see if your TDIU is rated Permanent and Total. If it is she is entitled to ChampVA which is pretty good Insurance.

ChampVA Info and enrollment

You could always go ahead and enroll and see what they say. Many don't know if they are P&T which basically means no future exams

My paperwork says "No examination will be scheduled in the future". Is that a good thing?

Yup, it means you're P&T. Have the spouse apply for the ChampVA.

pr

My paperwork says "No examination will be scheduled in the future". Is that a good thing?

Thanks to all, my wife called the 800 number today and found out I am P&T. Everyone here is such a help. I will try to be of assistance when I can.

Thanks to all, my wife called the 800 number today and found out I am P&T. Everyone here is such a help. I will try to be of assistance when I can.

Congradulations !!!!!!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By ThomasGray
      First off, hello and thank you in advance for any help that can be provided. Also, I apologize if something is not clear, trying my best to keep things concise.
      On Friday, May 15, I received letter from the VA, dated May 11, proposing a rating reduction from 100% to 70% for PTSD. The only evidence for the change listed is Rating Decision - Narrative(17SEP18) and DBQ PSYCH PTSD Review(06MAY20), whereas on my initial decision letter there was an abundance of evidence used. The major takeaway appears that my medical records(both prior to and after the initial rating, also from VA facilities) were not considered in this proposal. Is this normal?  
      I have yet to obtain the most recent C&P as I just received the proposal letter, but intend to attempt on Monday, May 18. Looking at the proposal letter though it seems that examiner didn't check a few specific boxes that were checked on my previous C&P. Other than that the differences appear to be minor. The two lists are as follows: Original C&P Gross impairment in communication Suspiciousness Depressed mood Suicidal ideation Near-continuous depression affecting the ability to function independently, appropriately, and effectively Disturbances of motivation and mood Chronic sleep impairment Near-continuous panic affecting the ability to function independently, appropriately, and effectively Difficulty in understanding complex commands Total occupational and social impairment Panic attacks (weekly) Difficulty in adapting to stressful circumstances Neglect of personal appearance and hygiene Difficulty in adapting to work Inability to establish and maintain effective relationships Flattened effect Panic attacks (less than weekly) Intermittent inability to perform maintenance of minimal personal hygiene Difficulty in adapting to a worklike setting Anxiety Difficulty in establishing and maintaining effective work and social relationships Intermittent inability to perform activities of daily living Gross impairment in thought processes New C&P Forgetting names Occupational and social impairment, with deficiencies in most areas, such as work, school, family relations, judgement, thinking, and mood Depressed mood Suicidal Ideation Near-continuous depression affecting the ability to function independently, appropriately, and effectively Disturbances of motivation and mood Mild memory loss Forgetting recent events Chronic sleep impairment Near-continuous panic affecting the ability to function independently, appropriately, and effectively Difficulty in understanding complex commands Panic attacks more than once a week Difficulty in adapting to stressful circumstances Neglect of personal appearance and hygiene Difficulty in adapting to work Inability to establish and maintain effective relationships Impairment of short- and long-term memory Flattened effect Difficulty in adapting to a worklike setting Anxiety Difficulty in establishing and maintaining effective work and social relationships Forgetting directions I bolded the important items not that were not checked on the new c&p which led to the reduction proposal. It seems strange to me that new symptoms were added, however the very specific ones that would've caused the rating to remain the same all disappeared in just 1.5 years even though there is no noted improvement in my actual medical records.  
      What exactly is my next step? I have written a few statements of disagreement contesting the proposed reduction and pulled my VA medical records and will be getting a copy of the new C&P shortly. I have no idea were send the items as it is unclear in the packet. It says I have 30 days for one option and 60 days for the other. I don't think I need a notice of disagreement or start the appeal process as the final decision hasn't been made(this is a poorly worded question)?  
      Can I also request that they consider TDIU if the rating reduction is finalized or will I have to start a new claim for that? Should i send TDIU forms with my statements of disagreement and records?  
      I have been avoiding poking the bear and not filing claims for other conditions, some of which are caused by the various medications they have me taking, should I start filing claims for those as well?  
      And finally, if I do have to file for TDIU separately, should I start the claim now so that the date is saved? Do I submit the claim before or after I receive the final decision on the proposal? Sorry for the long post. I'm lost as to what to do next. It took me over 5 years of being denied before they would actually service connect anything and now this. Thanks again for any help, it is appreciated.
    • By Lemuel
      Are you having trouble with a TDIU claim, TBI claim or any old claim that was never developed or decided?
      I posted this earlier on Tbird's question, "Unemployability and Working in a Sheltered Environment...?"
      Just received an example of this in a decision by the Executive Director, Compensation Service which I will attach after redacting.  My part time employment from September 1987 to September of 1990 consisted of working for a CPA business manager of a now deceased movie star.  (Egg and I actor as a hint).  
      The job was a 20 hour per week job by the previous employee which I couldn't keep up putting in more than 40 hours a week.  I'll also attach a copy of my employer's May 7, 1990 statement.  The job paid more than poverty level.
      These documents should help clarify to any who have a question about this subject.  I'll also start my own question where I can answer questions about how I got to this point.  Now I'm just waiting for a $500,000 plus check.  A lot of years in abject poverty under the bridge but I'm now in a nice home which will be fully paid for and I'm having a Japanese spa bath put in in the basement.  Feels good but was a miserable live from 1974 to 2017. Hasn't been bad since I turned 76 in 2017.  Now, at 79, it is even better.
      Still the issue of temporal lobe epilepsy (TLE) to go but it is more an act of activism since additional compensation doesn't mean much to me.  I don't want those with similar organic brain syndromes to mine left behind on that paper trail. TLE is difficult to identify and identification is complicated by the victim being unconscious of the symptoms.  We are thought of as being "drifty", absent minded, procrastinators (from enervations), etc. and no one connects it to our TBI and advises us or gives us a consult to a neurologist for epilepsy evaluation. 
      Look up that $100 dollar word, "enervation".  If you've had a TBI, especially if caused by near by blast concussion or repetitive outgoing heavy artillery (not me, mine was focal left temporal lobe) or p. falciparum malaria, you need to ask your family and friends if you are a little drifty or inattentive at times.  If you've had Motor Vehicle accidents that you blamed on the other guy but it could have been your inattentiveness this is hard evidence.
      If you had malaria and have any of the symptoms I listed, contact me through this board.  Compensation for those victims is the last goal of my life.  At 79, I don't have too many more years to work on it.
      Also, if you have a TBI award post 2008 for a TBI years before contact me.  I filed a case in 1988 in district court as a next of friend making a claim for you that has never been developed.  Same case as my TDIU.  An award to me would be moot because my new TDIU award goes back to 1985.  But we may be able to get that Executive Director, Compensation services to take our TBI awards back at least as far as my claim but possibly all the way back to when the symptoms first interfered with our employability.
      I was finally treated for my TLE in August of 2015 and all symptoms are in remission.  I was confirmed to have TLE in September of 1990 but mistreated with Tegretol which should never have been used for the diagnosis of "atypical absence seizures" and because I had a recorded sensitivity to amitriptyline per the 1990 PDR and every PDR after that to date.  Subsequently, I was diagnosed as having "pseudo seizures" which too many read as being a malingerer.   At 79, I'm more employable now than I was at 35.  But I lost my most employable years to a 3.154 1151 treatment.  It is on my NOD of 01/08/2018 and the claim it is on.  I'll keep everyone posted on its development.
      3526-3527 19900507 Al Marsella Stmt_Redacted.pdf 20200408 - TDIU Review - Admin Opinion_Redacted.pdf
    • By Jash
      I’ve done the VA claim-bit on my own. I don’t  know if this is a mistake or not. 
      I went to a c&p exam recently. I left somewhat confused. I never had a doctor tell me directly that she was recommending an increase as well as IU. She said though it was ultimately up to the rater. I don’t have her report because 30 days has not passed. I was at 50% for ptsd and 10% hearing loss. During the appointment the c&p doctor quoted a couple other reports where VA doctors I’ve seen at various clinics said that I had “long term, chronic and severe...” (Don’t want to get into the what). I find myself now obsessing if: 
      1. The c&p dr was lying to about her recommendations; 
      2. The c&p dr was telling the truth about the recommendations;
      3. The rater will decrease my %
      4. The rater will increase my%
      Ultimately it boils down to: How much weight does the rater put into the C&P dr recommendations? Could I really get IU if that dr did actually recommend it? what are the chances?  The IU could help a lot, I’ve not been able to work much the past few years. 
    • By Ralph1950
      I have recently learned that I my be eligible for a grant from "Monetary Trust Fund", would this cause issues with my TDIU?
    • By rightstrivinsissy
      Hello Hadit Helpers, 
      I feel like I am stumbling around blind. I hope someone can help me see.
      I was service connected in 2011 severe anxiety due to mst and a bladder condition.
      I have not had gainful employment since ETSing in 2004. I was re-evaluated for an increase and received an overall 70 - 40 -10 but started being payed at 80% in 2016. 
      In June of 2019 I applied for TDIU. I hit the make a decision now button on ebenefits, which was like shooting my own foot for lack of patience, not realizing that this meant the VA could not request any further info from me.
      In August I was denied, and obtained an attorney. 
      The attorney took over and ebenefits is showing the privacy act starting on October 4th and my claim is now in the evidence gathering/decision making process. Estimated end date of April 2020, the attorney says 3 years, but I know there are new systems in place to make things move a little quicker.
      I am looking for any information that you all would have about what is actually happening. I don't know if this is a NOD or what. My case manager acts like I am a major pain and won't give me any info and I fear she has no idea what she is actually doing. =(
      I assume it is not an actual appeal yet, because my case manager said they would have to wait for my c-file before they would appeal on the next denial from the VA.  
      I am so confused, If any of you experts could find the time to help me I would greatly appreciate it. I have always dealt with the VA on my own with no previous denials, but never fully understood what I was doing. I thought hiring an attorney would change this, but I still feel just as blind as before.
  • Ads

• Our picks

• How to get your questions answered...

All VA Claims questions should be posted on our forums. Read the forums without registering, to post you must register it’s free. Register for a free account.

Tips on posting on the forums.

Post a clear title like ‘Need help preparing PTSD claim’ or “VA med center won’t schedule my surgery” instead of ‘I have a question’.

Knowledgable people who don’t have time to read all posts may skip yours if your need isn’t clear in the title. I don’t read all posts every login and will gravitate towards those I have more info on.

Use paragraphs instead of one huge, rambling introduction or story. Again – You want to make it easy for others to help. If your question is buried in a monster paragraph there are fewer who will investigate to dig it out.

Leading to:

Post clear questions and then give background info on them.

Examples:

A. I was previously denied for apnea – Should I refile a claim?

I was diagnosed with apnea in service and received a CPAP machine but claim was denied in 2008. Should I refile?

B. I may have PTSD- how can I be sure?

I was involved in traumatic incident on base in 1974 and have had nightmares ever since, but I did not go to mental health while enlisted. How can I get help?

This gives members a starting point to ask clarifying questions like “Can you post the Reasons for Denial from your claim?” etc.

Note:

Your firsts posts on the board may be delayed before they show up, as they are reviewed, this process does not take long and the review requirement will be removed usually by the 6th post, though we reserve the right to keep anyone on moderator preview.

This process allows us to remove spam and other junk posts before they hit the board. We want to keep the focus on VA Claims and this helps us do that.
      • 2 replies
    • Exams that were being sent strictly to contractors before, due to VAMCs not being open, are starting to be routed back to VAMCs. This is going forward from last Friday- not sure if prior scheduled exams will be re-created for VAMC vs vendor.
      • 7 replies
    • Mere speculation in your VA C and P exam

M21-1, Part III, Subpart iv, Chapter 3, Section D – Examination Reports III.iv.3.D.2.r. Examiner Statements that an Opinion Would be Speculative Pay careful attention to any conclusion by the examiner that an opinion could not be provided without resorting to mere speculation (or any similar language to that effect). VA may only accept a medical examiner’s … Continue reading
      • 0 replies
    • A favor please - just changed servers so if you have a moment...
      A favor please - just changed servers so if you have a moment go to https://www.hadit.com I'd like to see how the server handles a lot of traffic. So if you have a moment click the link and i can see how things are going on the back end.
      • 11 replies
    • It's time to ask for help from the community. If you can help with a gift it would be very appreciated.

Fund HadIt.com Veteran to Veteran LLC

Give a financial gift to help with the upkeep of HadIt.com. HadIt.com is NOT a non profit. Gifts are not tax deductible, they are just gifts. 
      • 11 replies
  • Ads

• Popular Contributors

• Ad

• Latest News

Important Information

{terms] and Guidelines