Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

American Legion Vso Representative

Rate this question

retiredat44

Question

American Legion VSO Representative told me although that being a member of the American Legion is not required for services, I decided I should join. As my claim is hanndled through them, it wil look better as I am now a member. I really don't have cash for much, but feel it can't hurt to be a member. Especially since my life is in their hands in this VA disability claims process and them helping me. It was $25.00 for 1 year.

I would like to know if anyone else has doent he same thing. My claim in the 1990's was through Puple Hearts. There was no membership of any kind, well actually there was, but don't remember thinking about joining it.

I hate being a leach, as these organizations do a lot for veterans. While I was stationed at some bases, I would go in for a drink, a dance, or just some fun.

Just any thoughts on memberships in these organizations and getting the help they offer. Btw, I don't go anywhere, as I am to sick, but I fell I will get my moneys worth. A lawyer probably won't give me as much help anyways. I can bug these guys with constant questions and walk in. Plus they are local.

Edited by retiredat44

American Legion VSO Representative told me although that being a member of the American Legion is not required for services, I decided I should join. As my claim is hanndled through them, it wil look better as I am now a member. I really don't have cash for much, but feel it can't hurt to be a member. Especially since my life is in their hands in this VA disability claims process and them helping me. It was $25.00 for 1 year.

I would like to know if anyone else has doent he same thing. My claim in the 1990's was through Puple Hearts. There was no membership of any kind, well actually there was, but don't remember thinking about joining it.

I hate being a leach, as these organizations do a lot for veterans. While I was stationed at some bases, I would go in for a drink, a dance, or just some fun.

Just any thoughts on memberships in these organizations and getting the help they offer. Btw, I don't go anywhere, as I am to sick, but I fell I will get my moneys worth. A lawyer probably won't give me as much help anyways. I can bug these guys with constant questions and walk in. Plus they are local.

it does not matter who is doing your claim you do not have to become a member.

There are some good VSO's and bad ones in all of the organizations.

• HadIt.com Elder

My experience is that the good VSO's never push membership. After you win if you want is a good time to decide if you want to join. If you are struggling no way should you join and pay for a membership.

I have had the American Legion as my representative for 10 years. I would recommend them to anyone. My experience with my representative would be rated as outstanding. Understand that it is not the organization but the person that is assisting you. Just like any other service organization you have to seperate the good from the bad. BTW, I am a lifetime member.

I just wish I could find a good VSO. What is the trick to finding one that knows his or her stuff, or is this like a crap shoot which I've gone through. I have better chance playing a slot machine. Do you interview them, ask how long have you been a VSO, what is your success ratio with the Vets you have assisted. There must be a check off sheet or something out there, we have a step by step process for filing claims, and just about everything else-ought to be one for finding an top level VSO. Perhaps it is the organization. Is there a particular organization that insures they have top quality people helping vets with there claims. Do they have to go to school, take a test and thats it? MAybe there are some organization better than others, if so is there a top 5 list,ect. It would be good if someone out there could provide some guidance or start a topic with getting a VSO. There is so many groups out there. I tried the VFW, asked if I fought in the Vietnam WAR, no, but does it matter. They all want you to join, numbers look good on paper. Most of the organizations in my town are so full of tobacco smoke its a turn off to just walk in the door. Now I live in Tucson(okay the secret is out) if any one has a good VSO in this town let me know. Perhaps we could start a list of VSO, states, cities, ect that members have used so we can check them out. I know, some will have different feedback for those groups, people they have used, but hey-this is just an idea that I have been working on.

• HadIt.com Elder

It is a crap shoot unless you have inside information from a friend that knows the VSO. If you have a very difficult claim I would suggest hiring a lawyer. Otherwise, you can use a VSO as a frontman, but you have to do the heavy lifting yourself. I use VSO's when I have hearings on issues that don't have thousands of dollars riding on the outcome. If you can organized your claim and get the VSO to present it that is an OK way to go IMO. If you were to just hand off your claim to some VSO that would be a loser.

• HadIt.com Elder

the only veterans group I really like is the PVA but membership is due to severe disability and no fees except the body parts that don't work anymore

I have over the years had my POA with the AL, DAV and PVA and with a lawyer after help with my friends here at Hadit I finally got my PTSD at 100% P&T the first thing the DAV rep did was hand me a membership form and suggest I should become a life member, I laughed at him and threw it back on his desk the DAV refused to file an appeal for my CAD and hypertension and I should give them 250.00 why? they are a joke and the AL wasn't much better I was a member of AL annually for a few years but I quit that too, I thought about VVA but I don't get out of the house so why? I have thought about the 2nd Div and the 31st Inf Association and the 3rd ID and the 7th Calvary association due to my service or my dads service his headstone reads his name and Private D Troop 7th Calvary 1914-1916 He went on the Mexican Punitative March (Pershing chased Pancho Villa around for almost a year on horses) before he went to France in WW1 my dad and my Uncle Gid were stationed at Camp Douglas on the border the state has now built a prison on the old base.

I can see joining old unit groups but the vet groups as a whole seem to be a waste of money I use to be a shop steward at the Post Office so I understand the national good is better than just the local rep but after watching the cheer leaders most of them became for the war mongering I have to say enough vet groups should not be encouraging more war instead they should be advocating less war and the wise use of our military not wild adventures and misadventures when they quit doing that I might rethink joining the groups