Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

American Legion Vso Representative

Rate this question

retiredat44

Question

American Legion VSO Representative told me although that being a member of the American Legion is not required for services, I decided I should join. As my claim is hanndled through them, it wil look better as I am now a member. I really don't have cash for much, but feel it can't hurt to be a member. Especially since my life is in their hands in this VA disability claims process and them helping me. It was $25.00 for 1 year.

I would like to know if anyone else has doent he same thing. My claim in the 1990's was through Puple Hearts. There was no membership of any kind, well actually there was, but don't remember thinking about joining it.

I hate being a leach, as these organizations do a lot for veterans. While I was stationed at some bases, I would go in for a drink, a dance, or just some fun.

Just any thoughts on memberships in these organizations and getting the help they offer. Btw, I don't go anywhere, as I am to sick, but I fell I will get my moneys worth. A lawyer probably won't give me as much help anyways. I can bug these guys with constant questions and walk in. Plus they are local.

Edited by retiredat44

Most VSO's from my new understanding are just to input claims: period (not good or correct, but claims/day is the goal,) And also to suggest stupid things like try to use VA doctors for Nexus' and IMO's.

VSO's are all based on quota systems to see as many vets as possible, and success in claims or appeals is not in the job description. You have to find a vso with enough spirit to: buck the quota system designed to produce faulty delayed claims over one year per cycle, and put time and attention in your claim when you go to see them each and every visit.

I was hoping this thread would have a holy grail to find a vso. My best success is to find the highest ranking vet vso you can find. They may not be perfect, but they will know a whole lot more than most of the vso clowns out there: and no matter how many claims they do, most are pitiful. They do not understand the 'policies', therefore they cannot fully understand the applicable 'procedures' some falsely pride themselves at. ymmv.

Edited by armorer

I just have a comment about American Legion VSO in Cleveland. I belong to American Legion by the way. They have been my POA since 2014. I have over 1000 documents to and from the VA for my claims. In 4 years, I have never received a single call from Cleveland. I called them twice. Once, they said they would return my call the next day, but they did not. When I called to ask them why, they got major attitude and berated me. I called them just yesterday and got VM. I asked them to call me back and I haven't heard from them yet. If they have worked on my claim, it is unknown to me. Maybe it's because I live in BFE ? Just venting.

• HadIt.com Elder

I tend to agree w/testvet. Most national organization's are a waste, as are, in my opinion, their VSO's. LarryJ, here, is probably the exception. They usually have you sign the POA form and then have little to do w/you and can rarely be reached.

pr

I joined the DAV, they informed me it was only $20.00. Arizona would pay the other 20.00. Sorry to say, I have to totally agree with pr. I wished I had did my research better and went with another VSO, not sure if the outcome would of been the same . This forum has more than enough information to do all of your simple claims and appeals yourself. You will get more help, and a lot of feedback for any questions you may have- I am now doing all my claims without the help of any VSO. There is quite a few members here that offer there help and support - They are here 24-7, while a VSO is not.

I have had the American Legion as my representative for 10 years. I would recommend them to anyone. My experience with my representative would be rated as outstanding. Understand that it is not the organization but the person that is assisting you. Just like any other service organization you have to seperate the good from the bad. BTW, I am a lifetime member.